Healthy Loc Support Thread 2012

newports

I have comb coils and I have to wait 3 months to wash my hair but what kind of oils can I use to keep it moisturized?

Ms. Alainious

newports

Who said you have to wait that long? I've been washing my locs every three weeks since i got my comb coils.

As far as oils, any light carrier oil (like grapeseed) with a few drops of tea tree for itching would work.

CountryBumpkin

I have comb coils and I have to wait 3 months to wash my hair but what kind of oils can I use to keep it moisturized?

NO.

this is one of my "things". You wash your locs. Your scalp has to be healthy to grow healthy long strong locs. If you don't wash your scalp for months, your scalp will be mad at you and your locs will smell.

i been washing my locs from day1. it gets messy but that's the beginning of the loc process. it has to get messy for the locs to begin. that's what locs are: messy matted hair. the quicker you get that part of of the way (and washing speeds up that process) the quicker you'll get to the other side, with firmly matted neat CLEAN locs.

CountryBumpkin

I been lurking about in here. everyone's hair is looking so nice!

couple issues:
1) My hair grows so agonizingly slow. :( I finally think i can say i reached APL. I was hoping to be at BSL by now.

2) I have seborrheic dermititis and my scalp gets realllllly messed up every time the seasons change. this summer-one-moment-autumn-the-next weather is doing a number on my scalp. :/

RockCreak

How are things holding up for the Loc Stars? Any updates or Pics.

I'll post a pic update near the holidays.

BTW lately, I've been using Fabulocs products and so far so good. I can't complain.

InsertCleverNameHere

I finally took pictures of my daughters locs. We are approx. 6 months in.

IrrationalThoughts

This thread is making me miss my locs more than EVER. Maybe...just maybe instead of shaving it off like I have been tempted to do I will loc it. I wasn't doing anything with my loose hair, I just wanted to see how long I could get it. My locs were MBL before I cut them. Miss.them.so.

Atdow71

This thread is making me miss my locs more than EVER. Maybe...just maybe instead of shaving it off like I have been tempted to do I will loc it. I wasn't doing anything with my loose hair, I just wanted to see how long I could get it. My locs were MBL before I cut them. Miss.them.so.

Same here! I had waist length locs & cut them in June. I really miss them, but. Want o see how long I can grow my loose hair. I will definitely reloc in the future.

RockCreak

Do you have any pics of when you had your locs? I would love to see them. :grin:

Harina

About to schedule two consultations for my starter locs. I'm very excited. I have a somewhat particular way I want them to end up looking and I don't want to have to do this twice.

About the lock "comb out" in my experience that depends on the hair type or you can break a lot of hair in the process and have some very thinned out ends to show for it. No one has to shave their hair bald to come out of locks that's just a preference because some people want a brand new start. The first 3-5 inches of locks closest to the root are never fully locked anyway. If you snip in that area then pick the hair apart you have a fuller root to tip start. Again it depends on the hair type.

Tiye

When you say depends on the hair type...What hair type do you think would be easier to comb out??

But that would only leave you with 3-5 inches of hair after the loc takedown?? :look:

Today makes EXACTLY one month since I began my locs. Tomorrow I'm going for my first retwist. Just wanted to share some pictures of the journey so far. I'm starting with two strand twists and the roots are interlocked.

The day I got my twists................

One month later.............

BrandNew Question. From the day 1 to the month later, did you not wash your locs?? I ask because I do not really see any shrinkage between that time frame.

Same here! I had waist length locs & cut them in June. I really miss them, but. Want o see how long I can grow my loose hair. I will definitely reloc in the future.

Atdow71. Did you ever think about combing the out?? Or would that have just taken to long for you???

Atdow71

I thought about picking them out. Actually, throughout the years, I tried picking out a few here and there, but didn't get very far. For me, it was too time consuming.

RockCreak

Hey Loc Stars

It is with sad news that due to an unfortunate event, I have decided to un-lock my locs. :sad:

Instead of posting my personal updates, I will be posting my brothers as I am his locs keeper as well.

I will be posting pics of me unlocking my hair. I've already began this process and man o man is it time consuming but so worth it. I've retained a lot of length. I started with 108 and I'm down to 50 remaining.

Pics will be posted.

leiah

I really admire anyone who has the patience to comb theirs out. I spent 8 hours on one single loc and then cut off all my hair!

Niapb

I am currently in the process of locking my hair. Literally, I am two strand twisting as I type this. I have wanted locks on and off for a while now and it's gotten to the point where a literally do nothing with my hair besides wake up in the morning and throw a hat on it. Some nights I would flat twist and wear a curly fro during the day, but between maintenance and breakage and detangling and whatever else have you, I am ready for locks. I have been natural all my life and I think it's about that time.

Ms. Alainious

9.5 months checking in.

Progress is coming along nicely, but the front is still lagging behind a bit due to the softer texture up there. I'm still maintaining myself, but I'm going to see a new stylist before thanksgiving.

Hopefully I'll have my mom's locs started in the coming months. I'm sooooo looking forward to burning those wigs of hers :look:

RockCreak

Good to see you ladies still hanging in there.....

It took me a total of 7 days to get them all out.. well here's my story:

The very first lock that I took out took me about 45 minutes.. mind you I did that dry. The second loc, I added conditioner.. it took me about 30 minutes... The 3rd loc took me only 20 minutes maybe less because I added oil to the conditioner for added slip.

I work the late shift with very limited staff so in the evening, I would sit there and pick at my locs... (hood I know, but whatever, I wanted them out) I managed to take a row or more out in one evening... Then I really picked at my hair over the weekend, but still couldn't get them all out. So I bunned the back half of my head and put the top in a ponytail. People looked at me confused not sure what I was doing to my hair. :lol: They just noticed that my locs weren't as full anymore. So Monday I picked at it and Tuesday.. then just said forget it... took off on Wednesday and went to town.. by that Thursday morning.. they were all out. Yayyy!

Here are a few pics....

This is how my hair was:

Alot of shed hairs just from that little bit

This is about how much hair shed I had per loc.. mind you I had 108 locs

Getting there

me looking crazy

All OUT!!!!!

Whew!!!!!!
I posted this for my loc friends who are considering removing locs. I will also post this in a seperate thread!

CountryBumpkin

Hey yall. I finally made it to 2 years in October. Finally made arm pit length, and there has been once or twice where it hit bra strap, but I'm short with giant ta tas and thick bra bands that are hytched up pretty high, so I dont really consider that "official" bra strap length yet... A couple pics:

OhSoOthentik

Hey Ladies. Long time no see. My locs are 16 months old now. Here are some pictures. I had to take them myself so the angles are weird. Hope everyone is well.

Attachments

• 101_0761.jpg
    101_0761.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 101_0769.jpg
    101_0769.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 85
  • 101_0765.jpg
    101_0765.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 101_0770.jpg
    101_0770.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 99

MonPetite

Bump! Can anyone tell me the difference between Sisterlocks and "micro locs"? Is it the same thing without the TM name?

Harina

Hey Ladies. Long time no see. My locs are 16 months old now. Here are some pictures. I had to take them myself so the angles are weird. Hope everyone is well.

OhSoOthentik Are all of your locs fully loced ?? I can still see the two strand twist pattern in some of them, especially in the last pic. Are you expecting that to eventually not to be visible??

Hey yall. I finally made it to 2 years in October. Finally made arm pit length, and there has been once or twice where it hit bra strap, but I'm short with giant ta tas and thick bra bands that are hytched up pretty high, so I dont really consider that "official" bra strap length yet... A couple pics:

CountryBumpkin 2 years, wow! That's some progress. How long was your hair when you started your locs??

I am currently in the process of locking my hair. Literally, I am two strand twisting as I type this. I have wanted locks on and off for a while now and it's gotten to the point where a literally do nothing with my hair besides wake up in the morning and throw a hat on it. Some nights I would flat twist and wear a curly fro during the day, but between maintenance and breakage and detangling and whatever else have you, I am ready for locks. I have been natural all my life and I think it's about that time.

Niapb :lachen: This is what I have been doing. I'm glad it's cold because I am so over my hair right now. I cut it all off once because I was tired of it and for some reason it keeps growing back.

OhSoOthentik

@OhSoOthentik Are all of your locs fully loced ?? I can still see the two strand twist pattern in some of them, especially in the last pic. Are you expecting that to eventually not to be visible??

Majority of them are fully loced. I honestly dont have any "expectations" for them per se. I just let them do what they do. :grin:

MsAminta

Nice thread. :) I was wondering what you can do to keep locs soft? (In terms of conditioners and moisturizers, etc.)

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
Updated pics of my locs! I'm 7 months in on this journey..

Attachments

• Locs1.jpg
    Locs1.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Locs2.jpg
    Locs2.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Locs3.jpg
    Locs3.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 47