Heat damage! Help!

Prose Princess

I straighted a small portion of my hair in the front of my head for a sew-in for my sister's wedding last week. I used a ton of heat protectant, but I washed today and there is about a 1-inch section just above the roots that won't curl back up! :blush: (I'm transitioning) This part of my hair is a bit looser than the rest of my hair, so I don't know if it's just slow to curl back up, but since the roots and the hair right below that section have curled back up I'm afraid it may be heat damaged. Is there anything I can do about this? It's right in the front of my head so there's no way for me to cover it up. Would Amla powder help? Please help me ladies! This is like 16 months of hard work going down the drain in one day!! :cry::cry::cry:

lilikoi

Take a deep breath. Try a heavy-duty protein treatment (only in the damaged area, if the rest of your hair is OK) like aphogee 2-step (collagen) or neutral protein filler (mostly keratin) followed by some moisture and sealing oil.

I've noticed that my curls are tighter and better defined after protein treatments. I hope you get your curls back.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Have you tried clarifying it? Many heat protectants contain cones. I have noticed that with heat protectant products, my hair won't hold a curl until I get all of the product off my hair.

I would clarify, protein then add a moisture DC to follow up. After that, check again before you decide on heat damage.

Prose Princess

Thank you so much for your advice ladies!! I'm trying so hard not to panic, I really don't want to have to wait another year just to get bangs. I'll take some before pictures when I get home tonight, then I'll clarify using ORS chelating shampoo, I don't know what hard protein treatments I have, if any, but I have a big arsenal of products so I will see what I have, and I have plenty of moisturizing conditioners. I will most likely just do this to the one section of my hair, as it will take too long to wash my whole head again. I'll post my before and after pictures and see what you ladies think. Wish me luck! :) *Crosses fingers*

Day36

Hey!

Dont think it's heat damage just yet. I agree with my fellow poster that said to clarify. I know that when I straighten my transitioning hair, it depends on what I used during the process. Thicker heat protectants and butters (I use them during my process) cause my hair to take longer to revert. I often have to shampoo and dc/cowash couple of times before everything gets back to normal. Dont panic just yet!

Prose Princess

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Day! I really hope this is what happened with me, I know I pretty much caked my hair with Fantasia IC Heat Protectant and Chi Silk before I straightened, so that could be what happened. I'm just worried because I had to do like three or four passes before my hair got straight and I don't know if I should have added more protectant, like if it rubbed off or not. I can't change it now though, so I guess we'll see if clarifying and protein will work! If it doesn't work today I may try it again in a couple of days since it can take more than one wash like you said. Thanks again! You ladies are so supportive! :)

Day36

No prob Prose Princess !

Though, I would say, if you dont think your hair needs a strong protein treatment...I'd hold off on doing one. When im trying to get my hair to revert, I try to do so gradually, as to not create another problem for myself. But, I do use Aphogee 2 minute (or something like it) mixed into my moisturizing dc every week. I wouldnt do the hard protein yet, unless you feel like your hair needs it.