Heat Training Support Thread

brittanynic16

You wanted it and now it's here...

Hello all!! This thread is for those who want to discuss heat training or who are heat trained themselves. Hopefully, this thread will stay positive and we can learn a thing or 2 from one another :yep:

If you don't already know I have a channel on Youtube that discusses my method of heat training. I am also writing a book on the method which I hope to complete in the next few months. Here are some of the videos I have dedicated to heat training. Please feel free to discuss and share.

This video shows my wet hair texture
YouTube - Wet Hair Lets Compare

This is the first video of my method (it is a bit more refined now).
YouTube - How I Heat Train- Video 1 Prep Work

Me discussing the process
YouTube - Heat Training - The Only Natural Relaxer

Enjoy!

beana

Thanks for posting this!!!

I am transitioning to natural hair and plan to wear my hair heat straightened 80% of the time. I guess i will be heat training somewhat.

ETA: I will use heat 2x's a month on wash day. It usually takes a while to detangle my freshly washed hair, so when im done, i'm about 40% dry. I seal with sabino, bantu knot in sections sit under a hood dryer for 20 mins or air dry until 90% dry.
Lightly blow dry my roots until 100% dry.

Then i will flat iron on 360 with my sedu. I am usually able to get my natural hair straight with one pass but that may change once im fully natural. so 2 passes max. by the way i have fine/ mostly medium density 4a/b hair.

Last edited:

HauteHippie

Yaaay! I'm subscribing to this.

Congrats on your book! I have been using your videos as a guide and they've helped me out tremendously!

Ijanei

As of right now I'm transitioning (8mos post) but plan to wear my hair straight maybe 75% of the time. Just here waiting to see positive feedback on this heat training thingy

davisbr88

I think this whole concept is very interesting to read about.
I have a question!
How do you start?
For instance, in your video, you're training your new growth by opening and closing the iron so many times. How did you do that to the length of your hair? Did you open and close every 1.5" (or however wide your iron is) all the way down the strand?
I'm curious (nosy).

virtuenow

Thanks for starting this thread Brittany! I would like to loosen my texture some...but it always goes right back to the original twa once water touches it. That's how much shrinkage I have. I use heat regularly (blowdry/sometimes flat iron)...I wonder if my hair is heat resistant! I have added some moisture techniques in...and working on new regimen currently.

brittanynic16

Thanks for posting this!!!

I am transitioning to natural hair and plan to wear my hair heat straightened 80% of the time. I guess i will be heat training somewhat.

ETA: I will use heat 2x's a month on wash day. It usually takes a while to detangle my freshly washed hair, so when im done, i'm about 40% dry. I seal with sabino, bantu knot in sections sit under a hood dryer for 20 mins or air dry until 90% dry.
Lightly blow dry my roots until 100% dry.

Then i will flat iron on 360 with my sedu. I am usually able to get my natural hair straight with one pass but that may change once im fully natural. so 2 passes max. by the way i have fine/ mostly medium density 4a/b hair.

Thank you for sharing your routine. I hope more people do too.:yep:

Yaaay! I'm subscribing to this.

Congrats on your book! I have been using your videos as a guide and they've helped me out tremendously!

Thank you. I can't wait until it's done. I have the majority of the content down but I keep learning new things and I keep having to add chapters. :spinning: Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

i love your hair in the comparison vid!

Thank you. I can't wait until those straight ends are gone. I hate them.
I think this whole concept is very interesting to read about.
I have a question!
How do you start?
For instance, in your video, you're training your new growth by opening and closing the iron so many times. How did you do that to the length of your hair? Did you open and close every 1.5" (or however wide your iron is) all the way down the strand?
I'm curious (nosy).

I am actually doing passes of the flatiron. The area is just small. That is why it looks like I am just opening and closing the iron. If it was the length then you would just do multiple passes down the length.

Thanks for starting this thread Brittany! I would like to loosen my texture some...but it always goes right back to the original twa once water touches it. That's how much shrinkage I have. I use heat regularly (blowdry/sometimes flat iron)...I wonder if my hair is heat resistant! I have added some moisture techniques in...and working on new regimen currently.

From the feedback that I am getting it seems like some need more heat than others especially if your hair is very thick or coarse. I have been working on a few tricks to speed up the process.

levone

Thanks for starting this thread! I love your videos...helpful information.

I don't have a regimen or anything to share as I'm too lazy to flatiron for the most part and sweat a bunch when I work out, but appreciate the resource if I should ever need to see/read about others' experiences. The 'heat training' you talk about truly is different than what I grew up knowing (basically anyone that got their hair straightened a couple of times was considered 'heat trained') so I find it very interesting.

ms.blue

I think about being a heat trained natural but I want to do this process by using a blowdryer instead of a flatiron.

CrownCola

Great! Subscribed. After unintentionally loosening my curls, (and a disappointing chop afterwards), I've been eager to learn more in terms of technique. I'm currently in twists for some overdue rest. Between the blowdryer, maxiglide, flat irons, and pressing comb, (all in one day sometimes), :nono: I've been doin' too much. I plan to take some notes, and reset my strategy.

Thanks, I can't wait to learn from everyone. :grin:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Tiye

I have resistant hair. It can be trained - my mother did it for me when i was growing up and recently (last year) I used Brittanynic's technique to train it. Just don't be overly aggressive with the heat - since this is the HT support thread we don't have to debate the difference between trained hair and damaged hair but there is a difference. I actually am not using heat tools much right now coz it's too cold to wear my hair out anyway so I just wear wigs or headwraps, but I may get back to it in the summer. Ironically the summer is the worst season for someone who wants to wear heat straightened natural hair but I don't heat train for that reason. I only use heat to soften my hair a bit and make it a little less shrink prone.

HauteHippie

When I imagine what my heat-trained hair will look like... it's usually my face with you or Mwedzi's hair! Creepy, I know. It's a compliment. :) How often do you use heat? Tools/temp?

30something

Thank you for starting this thread! I wanted too, but I'm so new to heat training that I didn't think I would be a good candidate.

anyway I been trying to heat train since nov of 2010. I had about 3 months of new growth at the time. I tried training with blow driers but it just didn't seem like the best method for me. A lot of awkward positioning, using the blow dryer for longer than 10 minutes seemed to dry out my hair a little.. so now I'm using my flat iron

I been trying to figure out the frequency and the amount of heat I need to use for heat training sessions, my hair is very resilient to heat. Its been taking a long time to see any results.

Mandy4610

Good to see this thread. I don't plan on heat training but I will lurk in here and learn along with you guys.

All the best ladies!

yods

yay, thanks for starting this. I have watched your videos and your hair is absolutely stunning.

I only blow dry once a month or every couple of months as I want to retain as much of my natural curl pattern as possible. I only dry my ends using the cool shot now. I started this method after watching longhairdon'tcare on yt as I was getting really frustrated by ssks and long detangling sessions which have been totally alleviated now.

Do you ladies use heavy protein treatements? I am thinking of starting hard core apoghee once every few months but I am a bit scared.

SelfStyled

Yay- Brittany- happy to see this thread. I am relaxed, so I guess I can't be heat trained per se. But my hair does so much better with heat. The only thing that is stopping me from becoming a heat straightened natural, is what to do about working out? I sweat profusely in my head. If any one has any tips I am all ears.

Keedah

I recently flat ironed and trimmed a good inch of raggedy ends off and plan on heat training my hair. My hair seems to retain more when its straight and Im not ripping through it and I love the versatility. Great thread.

yods

LaFemmeNaturelle

Because a "thank you wasn't enough". Can't wait to get through that thread:yep:. (((hugs)))

From my experience, because I sweat alot in my head as well, nothing but a relaxer will stop your roots from reverting. I guess you could experiment if you want but no amount of heat or products ever stopped my hair from reverting after working out when I was younger or since I've been transitioning. Pinkskates did not sweat from her normal workouts but I've never heard of someone who sweats heavily who conquered reversion.

geejay

Very cool! Glad to see this thread. This is a topic I'm very interested in learning more about.

The biggest difference I get from Brittany's technique and more general discussions of heat training is the different amount of heat she uses on her roots versus the length of her hair. Intense heat on roots during a training sessions and then very moderate to mild heat for styling. Typically people seem to use one heat setting for their roots and the length of their hair in a styling session.

brittanynic16

Love your hair. What about working out, do roots ever revert? Also, how often are you flat ironing?

I don't have a problem with reversion. If I sweat a lot I may get a slight wave right at the roots but other than that my hair never reverts unless I get rained on.

brittanynic16

Brittany would you recommend dominican blowout as heat train?

No I don't recommend the DB for training the hair. I don't there would be enough control with blowouts. It is important that you know what it took for your hair to get to the new texture so that you can repeat it as new hair comes in.

brittanynic16

Yay- Brittany- happy to see this thread. I am relaxed, so I guess I can't be heat trained per se. But my hair does so much better with heat. The only thing that is stopping me from becoming a heat straightened natural, is what to do about working out? I sweat profusely in my head. If any one has any tips I am all ears.

I never have a problem with reversion. I find that my trained hair doesn't revert easily. I usually only get a slight wave at the roots when I work out but that's it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am so upset. i whole out a long diatribe of my heat training journey and i accidentally deleted it when switching tabs:cry2::wallbash::wallbash:

I am giving the abbreviated version and i probably left out alot of details and pics but i cannot write that over again:ohwell: all of my pics are in my fotki if you are interested.

i haven't posted in quite some time but with all this heat training talk i wanted to give my personal experience with it and how it has greatly improved my manageability and styling. even after being on hairboards for so long and being natural for most of my life i still had alot of difficulty at times i even wanted to cry. hair shouldn't have to be this difficult so this is why i decided to try this out.

Natural texture. no heat no nothing. RAW. no product/manipulation i wore it like this for quite some time mainly in twists.

here it is after using heat regulalry for 6 months. i would flat iron 2 times a month.

after that i got a electric pressing comb and pressed my hair 1 time every 3 weeks and i would rest for one week or repress. i blow dry,press and then flat iron.. in the summer i would sometimes airdry. i did this for the rest of 2010

here is is nearly a year after i have been using heat regulalry

in december i pressed my hair 4 times in 2 weeks.:nono: a small curl in my nape doesnt curl right after that but otherwise i never had an issue with my hair curling up. i will never do that again.:sad:

as to the "limp hair" thing i did notice that my hair was as i call it "saggy"
but my hair has that same saggy look when i put a crap load of product in it
like here
this is my hair shingled with gel. this is the SAME day that i took the raw hair pictures.

otherwise this is has been the solution to my hair woes. my hair still irks me but i find styling,moisturizing and detangling much more easier. my tangles just fall out when i get it wet. no more 30 min-hour long detangling sessions.5 mins tops.

i noticed breakage after a while but for all of 2010 i rarley DCed. i started back in december after that mishap.

and as far as retaining length i retained quite bit. i think it may have been less than if i had stayed heat free but i am still satisfied overall.
dec 2009

dec 2010
its not accurate because i had to stretch in 2010 because i did such a crappy press:lol: but i went from scraping apl to scraping bsl.

also i do not have an issue with "roots" this is why i wanted to get away from relaxers. i dont notice a difference from my roots and the rest of the strands except my very ends but they have always been wonky even when i wasnt using heat(possible texturized ends that never broke off) and i am very keen about these things. i prefer it this way.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: