Heat Training Support Thread

gennatay

I think I'm going to start to heat train my hair. When I wear it curly, I get too many fairy knots and it tangles really easily. I don't like twist outs. I beleive I can achieve maximum length by keeping it straight.

Dellas

brittanynic16

And others

I have a few questions:
1) I know you are suppose to heat train once a month or every 6 weeks but if you have virgin hair are you really suppose to do 20 passes at 450 degrees over your entire head?

What is your heat point and pass suggestions
I have 4a and 4b but fine hair esp the first time?

2) I have gray hair and like henna now that I have found a brand that works but this coats the hair so should one use less or more heat due to this?
Usually when people dye their hair they say use less heat but henna is alittle different

3) also do you use a heat protectant during the initial or monthly training stage? I know once it is trained you use heat protectant but initially?

Thanks ladies
I think I might try this and sale my BKT stuff

Also
4) are people still using moisture block and are there other recommendations for anti frizz that you have found?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Is anyone "heat training "anymore? I used to think my hair was resistant to heat. Turns out I just needed a better flat iron and straightening technique LOL

Please give me some tips and the flat iron suggestion!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Please give me some tips and the flat iron suggestion!

I have a babyliss titanium iron and it gets my hair really straight. I prefer the plates on my rusk iron though, they are smoother and dont snag.

my tip to you would be to stay away from heat and scissors and let your natural hair do its thing.

RegaLady

@Napp Mine loosened up, but I'm not too worried about it since I'm wearing it straight or in a manipulated style at all times anyway.

I will be heat training my hair. I don't mind a looser curl pattern as I don't wear my hair out and natural and I plan on wearing it more stretched. I will be keeping an eye out on this thread.

DDTexlaxed

I have a babyliss titanium iron and it gets my hair really straight. I prefer the plates on my rusk iron though, they are smoother and dont snag.

my tip to you would be to stay away from heat and scissors and let your natural hair do its thing.

I appreciate your post,but my ends suffered from doing that. I am trying something different to keep my ends and the rest of my hair healthy.

Wenbev

hey ladies, what kind of heat protectants are ya'll using? I keep my hair pressed straight in the fall, winter and spring. I've tried redken heat glide (can be greasy if heavy handed), aussie's heat protectant (too sticky) and one by John Frieda (too stick as well).

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Anyone else still heat training? Im still flat ironing once a month and I mix it up with bkts and rollersets now.

I feel like I'm the only one who still does this. Its working out well for me so far. Let's see if I can get back to bsl with this regimen.

MzSwift

Hey Napp,

I'm learning but I'll be doing heat once per month during the cooler months.
I'm still trying to find my technique and get my regi together but I'm serious about it. My ends were a mess! I had too many knots and had to cut a lot of my hair last week :(

My only issue is being fine-haired, I don't like my hair bone straight. I want to straighten it and wear waves from braidouts/twistouts/knotouts.

Jace032000

Napp I've been doing this for 6 months now and didn't realize that I was actually "heat training." I have my hair professionally flat ironed at least twice a month. I also have the Global Keratin Treatment. I thought my hair was heat damaged but I guess it's actually heat trained. I found this thread because I'm interested in learning more about the technique and how to take care of my hair so I don't lose it.

DDTexlaxed

I did my first official heat session with a Conair air brush.:grin: I am going to be doing this twice a month and bunning. This is how Ihope to retain my growth because other styling methods have been damaging to my hair.:nono:

SelahOco

My hair is heat damaged. I'm trying to decide if I should chop it or accept the heat modified texture and roll with it. I'm in here to get ideas from y'all!!! :)

SelahOco

SelahOco how did your hair get damaged?

My hair is very fine and the flat ironing got to it. I usually do it only 2 times a year, but last year I did it like 4 times close together and it's textured but it does not curl except in the back.

So my twist out looks goofy and I'm kinda mourning the curl, but my hair is still long and not breaking off. So I'm just like what do I do to style straight natural hair?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
My hair is very fine and the flat ironing got to it. I usually do it only 2 times a year, but last year I did it like 4 times close together and it's textured but it does not curl except in the back.

So my twist out looks goofy and I'm kinda mourning the curl, but my hair is still long and not breaking off. So I'm just like what do I do to style straight natural hair?

have you tried rollersetting? also do you have any pictures of your hair now? what temperature did you flat iron on? I'm scared of this happening to me but so far i still have most of my curl pattern.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
SelahOco I personally wouldn't heat train. Since your hair got damaged so easily it might be easier for you to just be a straight haired natural. One side of my head is heat trained/damaged and it will not cooperate for curly styles.

But if you prefer curly styles then I would jus baby that side and transition. I wouldn't cut my hair short though, since you said there's no breakage.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.

I'd just blend it with curly styles. Putting rods on the ends will blend it all in for twistouts and braidouts. Flexirod sets as well.
Have you done some protein yet? Sometimes an yogurt/egg treatment works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SelahOco

have you tried rollersetting? also do you have any pictures of your hair now? what temperature did you flat iron on? I'm scared of this happening to me but so far i still have most of my curl pattern.

I was going to the salon. My hair just went kaput. It was doing okay, but the cumulative of heat just took it out that last time.

I've been bunning sense.

My detangling sessions take like no time now. :lachen: one up side

Jace032000

SelahOco how long have you been bunning? Or are you just starting? Today was my first day bunning. At first I felt insecure since I'm so used to wearing my hair freshly flat ironed and flowing through the wind…but as the day went on, I felt better and better about it. I thought it made me look more sophisticated lol.

SelahOco

SelahOco how long have you been bunning? Or are you just starting? Today was my first day bunning. At first I felt insecure since I'm so used to wearing my hair freshly flat ironed and flowing through the wind…but as the day went on, I felt better and better about it. I thought it made me look more sophisticated lol.

Jace032000 most of my hair journey has been buns and braids. Over 3 years bunning almost daily, and before that braids and French braids.

I think my buns are prettier if I do them in advance and really slick down the front.

I'm a plain Jane though, and enjoyed having my hair out (I was shocked at the length) and let my loved ones praise 'motivate' me into straightening too often this last year.

And I just had two babies and found it easier to look and feel sexy with my hair straight. Curly hair requires styling that I find harder to do with toddlers.

It's definitely a lifestyle thing. Bunning is the truth but you have to accessorize and really be mindful to feel pretty doing it regularly. That's been my experience anyway.

DDTexlaxed

I'm going to end my heat training. I think my hair needs to be longer to bun my natural hair without heat. I am thinking about going back to using the texture softener. I retained my growth so much better I didn't have problems detangling my hair.:ohwell:

MzSwift

DDTexlaxed

I'm sorry you're having such a bad run at this :(

I've shaved my head 10+ times with intent to go natural. Each time, I couldn't make it past the in-between stage before I'd texlax it again. What finally helped me, was PSing. I put my hair away so that I didn't do anything drastic to it, like texlaxing or chopping. I wore twist/braid extensions for most of the the first 2 years of this journey and alternated with cornrows and wigs in order to get past that stage.

I think you can grow your hair out the way you want to but it may take doing something else. GL in whatever you decide! :)

DDTexlaxed

DDTexlaxed

I'm sorry you're having such a bad run at this :(

I've shaved my head 10+ times with intent to go natural. Each time, I couldn't make it past the in-between stage before I'd texlax it again. What finally helped me, was PSing. I put my hair away so that I didn't do anything drastic to it, like texlaxing or chopping. I wore twist/braid extensions for most of the the first 2 years of this journey and alternated with cornrows and wigs in order to get past that stage.

I think you can grow your hair out the way you want to but it may take doing something else. GL in whatever you decide! :)

That's all I am doing, protective styles. I have stringy ends to show from it.I am also losing a ton of hair while detangling. I just don't know what to do about it. I love my natural hair,but I am really struggling right now. I'm discouraged.:sad:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
That's all I am doing, protective styles. I have stringy ends to show from it.I am also losing a ton of hair while detangling. I just don't know what to do about it. I love my natural hair,but I am really struggling right now. I'm discouraged.:sad:

Have you ever thought about going to a professional stylist? I know a lot of people on this board are DIY but I'm more of a 70 % DIY 30% assistance from stylist. I see a regular stylist monthly (if our schedules allow) and a braider at least twice a year to give myself breaks. If you are feeling defeated and have struggled doing everything alone...then it may be worthwhile to try seeking professional help. Not all stylist are bad especially when there is clear communication between said stylist and the client. Good luck Lady in whatever you decide. Hope everything works out for you :)

Jace032000

Is anyone still doing this? I can't seem to tell the difference between my heat trained hair and damaged hair O_O

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I guess my hair is heat trained. I got 4 consecutive blowouts from Oct-Feb. Now my hair has a looser texture except near the roots. I like it. My hair is strong and it isn't breaking.

I'm taking a month off from heat and wearing a wig so that I can workout more. My anniversary is next month :grin: