Heat Training Support Thread

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
These pics are from today's wash. My texture is much looser and I don't have as much shrinkage as I used to. I don't have a before texture shot, but lets just say I was a very tightly coiled 4b with 80% shrinkage. Now I have about 30% shrinkage :yay:

I rarely wear natural styles except for the occasional braidout bun. Heat training has been a game changer for me. I am retaining length and I'm ssk free!

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1425352029593.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1425352029593.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 136

virtuenow

What are your views on it since you've been there done that? @virtuenow
Definitely a bad idea, it burned my hair out and left it thin. I was doing 450 degree flat iron once a week. I suppose there are ways to do it without losing your hair- especially if you're not that kinky. Look at brittanynic's youtune channel. She had a whole series on he training. And eventually her hair broke off too.

virtuenow

Same thing to me @ScorpionQueen
@virtuenow oh no about Brittanynic!
Does she talk about it or is it just noticeable?
She talks about it-- but seems to attribute it to something else (like hair lotion??). She stopped doing heat vids after that and big chopped. Anyway, I was using her techniques and tips to guide me. My hair broke off before hers. I basically had to big chop too. She's a member here by the way :)

KurleeK5

I heat train my hair and have been for years. It hasn't broken for on heat. I've used longhairdontcare11's method. She blow dries her hair and flat irons the roots. I also do my ends, but my heat never exceeds 350. I wear my hair mostly blow dried and in braid outs. I wash twice a month. I still have my curly texture, I just avoid wearing it due to ssks.

Ltown

Greyland
I heat train my hair and have been for years. It hasn't broken for on heat. I've used longhairdontcare11's method. She blow dries her hair and flat irons the roots. I also do my ends, but my heat never exceeds 350. I wear my hair mostly blow dried and in braid outs. I wash twice a month. I still have my curly texture, I just avoid wearing it due to ssks.
@KurleeK5 , thanks for input I'm watching this thread. Not to heat trained but to straighten more and find out which product to uses I also follow the straight natural thread. I'm look up her up.

Muse

She talks about it-- but seems to attribute it to something else (like hair lotion??). She stopped doing heat vids after that and big chopped. Anyway, I was using her techniques and tips to guide me. My hair broke off before hers. I basically had to big chop too. She's a member here by the way :)

I was looking for the reason why she big chopped and I couldn't find anything due to damage. She did say she did it just because she wanted to and she likes to try new hair styles but I was a bit suspicious. I know she was supposed to come out with a book about heat training and it never came out to my knowledge. She made the big chop video and never heard from her again. I think the excess heat caught up to her.

Muse

What's the difference between heat training and just being a straight haired natural?

Heat training is when you are purposely trying to loosen your curls using high heat repetitively. So you go over the hair until you are satisfied with the results after that you just focus on the new growth with the high repetitive heat as it comes in. It's basically using the BKT technique without the chemicals (turning the heat up to 450 or close to it and going over each section 6-10 times). People do use heat protectants when they do this but after so many passes the protectant gets burned right off and the naked hair is exposed.

Heat straightened natural just means you straighten to wear your hair straight and you are not purposely trying to loosen your curl pattern. Most heat straighten naturals use the lowest heat setting it takes to get the desired results and try to minimize the number of passes.

I strongly advise AGAINST heat training but I have no issues being a regular heat straightened natural when the heat is used responsibly.

Last edited:

Muse

Definitely a bad idea, it burned my hair out and left it thin. I was doing 450 degree flat iron once a week. I suppose there are ways to do it without losing your hair- especially if you're not that kinky. Look at brittanynic's youtune channel. She had a whole series on he training. And eventually her hair broke off too.

I agree, it got me too. I admit I was foolish to follow that technique. For some reason I thought the Sabino would protect then I realized after so many passes with the high heat that protection was long gone after the 4th pass.

ScorpioLove

Heat training is when you are purposely trying to loosen your curls using high heat repetitively. So you go over the hair until you are satisfied with the results after that you just focus on the new growth with the high repetitive heat as it comes in. It's basically using the BKT technique without the chemicals (turning the heat up to 450 or close to it and going over each section 6-10 times). People do use heat protectants when they do this but after so many passes the protectant gets burned right off and the naked hair is exposed.

Heat straightened natural just means you straighten to wear your hair straight and you are not purposely trying to loosen your curl pattern. Most heat straighten naturals use the lowest heat setting it takes to get the desired results and try to minimize the number of passes.

I strongly advise AGAINST heat training but I have no issues being a regular heat straightened natural when the heat is used responsibly.

Ah ok so heat training is multiple passes. My chi doesn't have any temperature regulation so I use one or two passes since I assume the heat is probably almost 400°. Trying to figure out if I heat trained my leave out unintentionally. I haven't really touched my natural hair yet and I've been transitioning for the past 2 yrs.

Any recommendations on heat protectants? I use multiple layers of heat protection with conditioner and 2 heat protectants but I'm paranoid it's still not enough. I moved away from perms because of thin/fine hair so I don't want to damage my natural hair but I want straight hair like 80% of the time.