Heat-Users Support Thread

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I have to say I LOVE HEAT!! I have always used heat and my I never had any problems with breakage or thin ends until I transitioned and started doing braid outs. I recently had to chop off about 4 inches and I do think it was b/c of braid outs. I returned to heat and my hair is back to it's old ways "looking good" I think when I bc I will still use heat regularly.

I wash every 3 weeks, dc, airdry, then flatiron!

Imani

I have to say I LOVE HEAT!! I have always used heat and my I never had any problems with breakage or thin ends until I transitioned and started doing braid outs. I recently had to chop off about 4 inches and I do think it was b/c of braid outs. I returned to heat and my hair is back to it's old ways "looking good" I think when I bc I will still use heat regularly.

I wash every 3 weeks, dc, airdry, then flatiron!

I tried a braid out on my transitioning hair recently:nono: Tangle city. I was scared to touch my hair bc it might snap off. I do want to give it another try though with no gels or anythng just really moisturizing cremes/butters. If its still snapping whenever I touch it, I will just give up on them.

KnottyGurl

Yeah, I found that my hair was was a lil brittle when doing braidouts too. :sad: So, I started using the flexirods instead and separated the curls by hand. :up: That worked out great. My hair was stronger, no tangles/knots, and it looked better too. :yep: No heat necessary, but I'm sure it would look just as good if not better.

I tried a braid out on my transitioning hair recently:nono: Tangle city. I was scared to touch my hair bc it might snap off. I do want to give it another try though with no gels or anythng just really moisturizing cremes/butters. If its still snapping whenever I touch it, I will just give up on them.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hairsnob-I make 4 sections, and I do a squirt for each section. I use Redken Smooth Down Serum.

I am probably flatironing only 1x a month now. I have been trying to lose weight since the beginning of the summer- so it is a moot point to flat iron, because my hair reverts after 1 workout:nono:.

I really miss my straight hair.

The most I do is flat iron my bang if I am wearing a half wig that I am blending.

Wow, one squirt for each section? I'm using waaay too much then.

And I can relate with the working out and reversion. You just can't win.

Thanks for the info!!

Tiye

It seems my hair likes heat. My hair prefer to be clean and have heat.

I use heat at least once a week however when stretching I blowdry and then flat iron most of the time. Sometimes I may do a twist or rollerset...either way I HAVE TO HAVE HEAT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

I must admit before LHCF I used heat almost everyday so I've come along way but I don't think I will ever be able to go heat free :nono:

I was heat free for years. IMO it's not what it's cracked up to be. I'm much happier using heat carefully. I can actually run a comb through my hair - I'm not interested in going back to a life where I can't do that. :)

This is a very reassuring thread. Like many of you, when I saw the hairboards and sites I read that heat was the devil, and stopped using it. But I feel more sure that I can still use heat responsibly and have thriving hair. I'm not using at the moment, since I'm a bit too lazy, I don't like the current length of my hair and I'm enjoying this half wig, but I will probably use more heat in future. I can flat iron without blowdrying and I still get it pretty straight. :D

The only thing is, I bought the FHI iron that was only one heating setting (410 degrees) :wallbash: instead of the one with temperature range, only because this one was cheaper. But now I am worried that 410 is maybe too high, though I have only used it a few times so far, but I do not want to be risking burning or damaging my hair. Can anyone tell me what they think of 410 degrees, is it really too high, or have you had any success with it? Thanks

Heat might be the debbil for some coz their hair is different from yours, or they don't know to use heat tools safely for their hair type, or they're using the wrong heat tools, etc. You have to go by what you know from your own personal experience not just by what you read.

Hmm, I thought coconut oil was a natural heat protectant, no? When I flat iron I make sure that I had a good moisturizing DC but only use the heat protectant on my ends. My results are better this way.

I put oil (personal blend that includes coconut oil among others) in my hair after I wash it then braid hair air dry - usually this is overnight. Next day I use heat protectant and do my press.

LaFemmeNaturelle

A flatiron hasn't touched my head since November 27 2009 and before then it was only when I relaxed every 8-13 weeks. I haven't flat ironed myself since winter 08/09 because I screwed it up by using unhealthy practices and ended up chopping from bsl to sl. So now I want to get back into using heat. My plan is to flat iron once a month when the weather gets cool but Ill keep a watch on my ends to make sure they are ok. My plan is to wash with Nexxus Therappe and use DuoTex the wash before I straighten and condition with a cone-ladden moisturizing conditioner. Leave in will be Sabino Moisture Block. Hope this doesn't cause a set back!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I support heat use. I will continue to use heat in a responsible way. I want my hair to be healthy. Using natural products on my hair for heat protect has turned my hair around. I use grape seed oil and now my hair straitens beautifully. I use Afroveda's hemp butter and bun it afterwards. My hair is thriving!

Last edited: