Heat-Users Support Thread

BrownieBrie

I gotta admit, I love me some heat! I like my wrap, actually, I love my wrap and I wearing my wrap point blank. All you have to do is learn the proper techniques and your hair will be fine!

JessCNU

Hello ladies!

I too tried to take a break from direct heat. I don't know why though:wallbash:. Once a week washing, deep conditioning, blowdrying, and flatironing was working so well for me. I though I must be doing something wrong because the flat iron was supposed to be EVIL lol. I started Roller setting and let's just say I had more hair in the rollers, comb and in the sink then I did on my head!:burning: Hair drying was the WORST and my hair was just dry :(

So much for the no heat thing! I'm back to my once a week heat routine and my hair is jumping for joy! :grin:I make sure to use a leave in contitioner and heat protectant and I only flat Iron once a week. It's wraps and pin curls the rest of the week.

Victorian

old head
Heat user checking in :wave: In a month it will officially be one year of weekly heat usage and I am pleased with the results.

My goal for the year was to grow out some breakage by keeping the hair straightened (so I don't have to deal w/knots and such), and it has been working. The short area is about to my shoulders now. I've been keeping the rest of my hair around APL-ish this year. Originally I had planned to cut all my hair to shoulder length at this point so I could have my hair all the same length, but now I don't want to :lol:
I do plan to even up all of my hair but I will do it little by little over the next year.

I'm working on how to avoid the greasies at the end of the week. When I straighten (blowdry & flat iron), my hair always gets flatter throughout the week and is looking kinda lame by the end (this is why I don't wrap my hair -- it just accelerates the process).
A couple weeks ago I tried: Blowdrying only -- that's no good for me because my ends end up looking and feeling like a hot mess. I need them to be ironed. Plus the hair just isn't as sleek as I like.

Last week I tried: Blowdrying and then ironing the length in big chunks (instead of little tiny sections), then making sure I got all the ends.
This worked out pretty well actually, although I should have worked on getting the roots. My ponytail looked especially nice this week :yep:

Tonight I'm going to try: Blowdrying as usual, then ironing from root to tip with very low heat. I'll touch up any stubborn parts with my mini iron, which is hotter.

LatterGlory

:peek: So I flat ironed my hair by myself (no stylist, just me) for the first time using the lowest heat possible and I think I might like the results or the change the results brought me.

IDK but I may start to do this more often:hide:.

I think like anything else education & moderation is the key.

Last edited:

chelleypie810

MM this is the thread for me!! I've officially stopped going to the salon, and flat iron weekly. I love me some direct heat! Now don't get me wrong I grew up on the rollerset but mastering the technique is..difficult to say the least and I don't have the patience! But heres my reggie:
Prepoo with Burt's Bees preshampoo w/ coconut oil or africas best herbal oil. whichever one is around
I clarify weekly
I make sure to DC really well either using a moisturizing condish or protein condish rotating each week.
Put in my leave in and heat protector.
Use a serum or shine spray after I'm done, and wrap it up and I'm good for the week!

Surprisingly I don't have breakage or dryness, and I try to cut my ends when they start to feel really dry. No use holding on to it. I've gotten excellent growth. I'm just going to keep up this reggie until I see negative effects which hopefully I don't. I get compliments on my hair all the time and its great!

Mrs.Green

:wave: another heat user checking in~

I wash, deep condition, blow dry and curl *with iron/flat iron* or rollerset once a week. I maintain my curls during the week by pincurling and bantu-knots. I wrap for the straight look and usually closer to the end of the week if my hair gets weighed down I just bun or do a curly up do until wash day :yep:

My moisturizer of choice is Lacio Lacio or Silicon Mix leave in and if I'm bunning or pinning my hair up I use ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer and seal with Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, or Kemi Oyl (whichever I grab first):look:

Heat protectant is Fantasia IC *pink bottle* or CHI Silk Infusion.

LushLox

I don't flat iron that often but when I do I just do it on a high setting. If I attempt to flatten on a low heat I just end up making several passes over the hair. Much better in my humble opinion to use a higher setting and then do just one pass.

*Michelle*

Woot! Hot girl in the house! i have been saying this for years...Im texlaxed and about 3 inches from waist length. thank you for this post OP!! My reggi is on my blog post link in siggy. it is the only post so it is easy to find. Sorry for the errors...I'm using this beta browser on my balackberry and if I hit back space it will erase everything UGH!

KnottyGurl

Wowowowowow!:lovedrool: Seeing all this long, thick, healthy black hair AND you use heat regularly is encouraging.:yep: When I get my camera back this week, I'm going to take a pic of my hair, even though it's only shoulder-length. You ladies are certainly encouraging and your tips/reggie are helpful. Thanks everyone!

BTW, feel free to post pics of your hair whether you have some in your siggy/avatar or not. Thanks again!

Last edited:

JessCNU

Just flatironed my hair an hour ago. I just put these pics up in another thread but here they are again....as short as my hair was, i'm just glad I have some hair to post a pic of! LOL

Blowdried
growth3.jpg

Flat ironed
growth1.jpg

lusciousladie07

Heat user checking in :wave: In a month it will officially be one year of weekly heat usage and I am pleased with the results.

My goal for the year was to grow out some breakage by keeping the hair straightened (so I don't have to deal w/knots and such), and it has been working. The short area is about to my shoulders now. I've been keeping the rest of my hair around APL-ish this year. Originally I had planned to cut all my hair to shoulder length at this point so I could have my hair all the same length, but now I don't want to :lol:
I do plan to even up all of my hair but I will do it little by little over the next year.

I'm working on how to avoid the greasies at the end of the week. When I straighten (blowdry & flat iron), my hair always gets flatter throughout the week and is looking kinda lame by the end (this is why I don't wrap my hair -- it just accelerates the process).
A couple weeks ago I tried: Blowdrying only -- that's no good for me because my ends end up looking and feeling like a hot mess. I need them to be ironed. Plus the hair just isn't as sleek as I like.

Last week I tried: Blowdrying and then ironing the length in big chunks (instead of little tiny sections), then making sure I got all the ends.
This worked out pretty well actually, although I should have worked on getting the roots. My ponytail looked especially nice this week :yep:

Tonight I'm going to try: Blowdrying as usual, then ironing from root to tip with very low heat. I'll touch up any stubborn parts with my mini iron, which is hotter.

I love you!! lol. I have been looking for someone that is natural and flat irons weekly. I have tried to do no heat but the single strand knots and the extra dryness is not "da business" lol. My hair stays more moisturized when its straightened...
I have been wanting to do it on a weekly basis but needed to find someone with great retention that did it.. and here you are!:grin: AND the fact that you have done it for a year and have great looking hair eases my doubts..

Thanks for starting this thread op!:grin:

Shoediva

I'm a heat girl myself. airdrying is a disaster for me, my hair ends up a dry-tangled mess. I'm currently 4 mos post relaxer. Im in the process of growing out my bob (which is chin length in the front and was ear length in the back)

I wash every 10 days with CON (orange bottle) I alternate conditioners between Pantene relaxed & natural & Herbel Essence. I blowdry & flatiron. I normally blowdry with adding African Best Herbal Oil..using this method keeps my hair soft & moisturized. The past month I have tried using Ion Heat Protectant spray. I like how silky straight my hair is using the protectant. The first 2 days my hair is fine, after that it tends to be dry. I will go back to using African Best Herbal Oil w/o the heat protectant.

I deep condition every other wash day with Luster's Cholesteral conditioner.

KnottyGurl

:wave: Hi LL07! Have you tried this thread for naturals who straighten? Here's another helpful thread too if you don't know about it already:

Straight Hair Naturals Support Thread
I love you!! lol. I have been looking for someone that is natural and flat irons weekly. I have tried to do no heat but the single strand knots and the extra dryness is not "da business" lol. My hair stays more moisturized when its straightened...
I have been wanting to do it on a weekly basis but needed to find someone with great retention that did it.. and here you are!:grin: AND the fact that you have done it for a year and have great looking hair eases my doubts..

Odd One

Im a heat addict myself.. I try to go without it but just cant :lol:

I have a question for the regular heat users in this place. how frequently do yall feel like you have to get a trim or dust the ends. Are you more prone to split ends?

Mrs.Green

I have a question for the regular heat users in this place. how frequently do yall feel like you have to get a trim or dust the ends. Are you more prone to split ends?

Kitten - I just now after 1 year and a half started dusting. And it isn't because of heat damage or splits. I'm dusting/trimming to even up my layers. :yep: Just keep the ends heat protected and moisturized.

I told ya OP~ there were alot of heat users on the board. More will come out the closet :look:, they just eyeballing the thread to see how it goes. :lachen:

Victorian

old head

Awww, thanks! :grin: You should definitely check out the straightened naturals thread -- there are a lot of us :yep:

I use a lot of strengthening conditioners, and deep condition every week. I think this is key, in addition to using heat protectants.

Victorian

old head
Tonight's experiment went well. I blowdried with my hot air brush, then flat ironed medium-sized sections at 280 degrees. I normally iron at 410, so it barely seemed hot to me :lol:. I used my mini iron to do the edges and the roots around my part (I usually do this anyway).

I like the end result. It is definitely "bigger" than when I iron with higher heat, so I'm hoping that it will flatten gracefully over the next few days, avoiding the too-straight greasy look. It's up in a bun for the night now. I'll probably be wearing it in a ponytail or updo of some sort tomorrow since I'm going to be flying and I like my hair out of the way when I'm on the plane and stuff.

Pics from tonight attached
First 2 are from after blowdrying
3rd is back ironed and getting ready to do the front
last 2 are after ironing

Attachments

• Photo 126.jpg
    Photo 126.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo 124.jpg
    Photo 124.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo 130.jpg
    Photo 130.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo 131.jpg
    Photo 131.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo 132.jpg
    Photo 132.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 58

imaccami

Kitten - I just now after 1 year and a half started dusting. And it isn't because of heat damage or splits. I'm dusting/trimming to even up my layers. :yep: Just keep the ends heat protected and moisturized.

I told ya OP~ there were alot of heat users on the board. More will come out the closet :look:, they just eyeballing the thread to see how it goes. :lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: It's true there are a lot of heat users on the board, I'm one. I use a lot of heat and have no problems.

I don't think that sitting under a dryer for an hour and a half is beneficial but using a blow dryer for 10 mins harmful. I think the secret is to use an ionic blow dryer and flat iron.

I would say the biggest factors in turning my hair around 2 years ago were switching from no-lye to lye, upgrading from my hot tools blow dryer to my 2000 watt ionic blow dryer, upgrading from my Marcel flat iron with the oven to the Sedu, and wearing my scarf everynight again. Since then I haven't had any more problems with my hair and I use heat a lot more now than I did then.

LatterGlory

I don't flat iron that often but when I do I just do it on a high setting. If I attempt to flatten on a low heat I just end up making several passes over the hair. Much better in my humble opinion to use a higher setting and then do just one pass.

Once again I am new to heat on hair, but... when I iron a silk blouse I know that high heat even on one pass will destroy the fabric whereas low heat can go over and over and not burn the fabric ( emphasized that because it is not hair) as long as it does not sit in any one section too long it will not burn the fabric.

Just a theory.:rolleyes:

gymfreak336

My kinda thread :lol:

I use heat as well. I am really not afraid of it either. My usage of heat fluctuates through out the year but reached an all time high of every 3 days last summer when I colored my hair. Sit under dryers to a number on my scalp and until I find a way to work around that, I am sticking with alternating partial air drying sessions with full on blow drying sessions.

I think product usage and technique are the biggest issues with heat styling. You have to have quality heat tools as well. I blow dry my hair on cool and high heat so that I get a nice lukewarm air flow. Using a denman brush to lightly pull my hair into various angles is what gets it straight. I really don't have to use a ton of heat. IMO, you don't have to to achieve a certain look, its all technique. I also focus on products that are moisturizing and fortifying and I don't have an issue.

LushLox

Once again I am new to heat on hair, but... when I iron a silk blouse I know that high heat even on one pass will destroy the fabric whereas low heat can go over and over and not burn the fabric ( emphasized that because it is not hair) as long as it does not sit in any one section too long it will not burn the fabric.

Just a theory.:rolleyes:

Well obviously before you start straightening the hair on a high heat you go up in increments first to see what is best for your hair. You wouldn't just plonk a hot iron on any delicate material, you test the heat first and see what is best and then press. That is the point - knowing what your hair can tolerate and sticking with it.

My theory.

Last edited:

LatterGlory

Well obviously before you start straightening the hair on a high heat you go up in implements first to see what is best for your hair. You wouldn't just plonk a hot iron on any delicate material, you test the heat first and see what is best and then press. That is the point - knowing what your hair can tolerate and sticking with it.

My theory.

Point well taken.

ETA: I do an air dried roller set prior to flat ironing. The roller set gets it pretty straight hence being able to
to straighten on the lowest heat setting in one pass. Plus pin straight results are not what I'm after...
I like a gentle wave and some body.

Last edited:

SVT

Woot! Hot girl in the house! i have been saying this for years...Im texlaxed and about 3 inches from waist length. thank you for this post OP!! My reggi is on my blog post link in siggy. it is the only post so it is easy to find. Sorry for the errors...I'm using this beta browser on my balackberry and if I hit back space it will erase everything UGH!

Your hair is pretty! Another Hot Girl in the house! :grin:

I'm wearing my natural hair mostly flatironed right now. I have a Solia Tourmaline/Ceramic iron. I wash and condition every 1-1.5 weeks. I use oil but no heat protectant to straighten. I rollerset on satin covered foam or pincurl each night to maintain a style.

I clip splits as I see them. Haven't had a professional trim in years. Might be time for one because my right side is longer than my left.

Last edited:

Ms. Feliz

I don't dust or trim frequently at all. I very rarely find any split ends, but if my beautician does find some she gets rid of them for me. I'm one of those people who hates to see ANY hair being cut out my head so I only cut when I really really have to. :look:

SelfStyled

How often do you ladies use protein? And can you please list what you are using. I am gonna go back and looks at the reggies that were listed so far.

gymfreak336

How often do you ladies use protein? And can you please list what you are using. I am gonna go back and looks at the reggies that were listed so far.

Hey SelfStyled

I use some sort of protein weekly.

One of my favorite shampoo's is the kpak shampoo and I also have been using the naked naturals citrus shampoo which has vegetable protein.

I also use something like aphogee 2 minute or joico daily kpak conditioner for 2-5 minutes weekly and sometimes follow with a quick rinse to detangle. I also like dudleys hair rebuilder for 10-15 minutes, silk elements megasilk cholesterol (not the one in the jar, the other one with herbs in it), and ion effective care treatment.

The Ion effective care is a balanced treatment IMO. I don't condition any longer than 15 minutes anyway.

In general, products I tend to pick are more balanced with both protein and moisture. I don't use many products anymore that are soley one or the other. It just increases my tendency to fall into either extreme.