Heat-Users Support Thread

SelfStyled

Hey Gym, thanks for the response I do have the Joico K pac daily conditioner, I will use that a little more now that I am using heat on the reg. than I was before. I also like your approach in using the more balanced products.

KnottyGurl

I use protein once a week. I try to use conditioners that have protein in them like TRESemme' Anit-Breakage with B12.

How often do you ladies use protein? And can you please list what you are using. I am gonna go back and looks at the reggies that were listed so far.

Khaiya

Hot Girl checking in! I've been using heat weekly for the past 8 weeks or so and i've retained more length than i did with anything else i was doing before. I sometimes blow dry on warm using the tension method or airdry or rollerset and then flat iron between 250 and 300, no more than 2 passes. No ill effects so far, no splits or breakage.

I have just 1 wash day a week, i DC with both protein and moisture and then go ahead and do my heat styling. I'm probably gonna cut down to flat ironing 2x a month though, not cause of any damage or anything but just because i'm too lazy to do it sometimes. I'm going to do twists or plaits in between so i can just leave my hair alone.

Solitude

I use a hood dryer at least once a week. I flat-iron or blow dry my roots after my rollersets and I haven't had any problems.

Supervixen

Ladies, I'm a "HOT GIRL" too.

My hair just does better with heat. I don't really blow dry, and I only flat iron after a patchouli85 method DC.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
How's it going ladies? I still use heat. I prefer to just airdry and flat iron now. The blowdryer is too much manipulation (and breakage) for me nowadays, I can't stand combing my hair.

Imani

Im a hot girl!

I am 7 months post transitioning. and I use heat weekly. I have been going to a salon that specializes in natural hair. they do steam treatments on my hair every time I go. and I get blow dried and flat ironed. My hair has been doing well. I am trying to learn how to do it myself at home. I just recently bought a steamer, a FHI blow dryer, and a Hana Elite Flat iron. at the salon i believe they use FHI flat irons (but not the runway).

I absolutely do not use heat during the week on dirty hair. ever. only on wash day.

I have tried no heat before. Didn't really do much for me except have me looking a hot mess.

With transitioning heat has helped bc I don't deal with the tangles and having to put up with two textures etc. During the week I usu pull it back in a phony pony. and get it flat ironed on fridays to enjoy it out for the weekend. If i exercise during the week I tie it down really good and it does revert some, but it is still manageable.

My hair in my avatar was professionally flat ironed after a steam treatment. Think i was about 6 months post.

chelleypie810

Im a hot girl!

I am 7 months post transitioning. and I use heat weekly. I have been going to a salon that specializes in natural hair. they do steam treatments on my hair every time I go. and I get blow dried and flat ironed. My hair has been doing well. I am trying to learn how to do it myself at home. I just recently bought a steamer, a FHI blow dryer, and a Hana Elite Flat iron. at the salon i believe they use FHI flat irons (but not the runway).

I absolutely do not use heat during the week on dirty hair. ever. only on wash day.

I have tried no heat before. Didn't really do much for me except have me looking a hot mess.

With transitioning heat has helped bc I don't deal with the tangles and having to put up with two textures etc. During the week I usu pull it back in a phony pony. and get it flat ironed on fridays to enjoy it out for the weekend. If i exercise during the week I tie it down really good and it does revert some, but it is still manageable.

My hair in my avatar was professionally flat ironed after a steam treatment. Think i was about 6 months post.

GIRL! If you are not speaking the truth.

SelfStyled

Im a hot girl!

Do you mind me asking what phony pony you are using? I need a good reccomendation. Your hair looks great in your avatar.

No heat had me looking a hot mess too- I am so over that phase.

Keya, I do something similar, I don't airdry, I sit under my soft bonnet dryer with my hair twisted up with a scarf over it, and then flat iron the next morning. I am not skilled with a blow dryer at all. Between the air from the dryer and the scarf my hair dries pretty smoothly.

ChristmasCarol

I'm in month 10 of transitioning to natural and I flatiron once every 2 weeks or so and my hair is retaining very well. A few days before I flatiron, I always DC 2x (like Monday and Thursday). Once with a light protein - ORS pack or something like that, and then a moisturizing DC right before flatironing. I'm a freak about cowashing, though, so I usually only wear my hair straight for 4 days before I can no longer fight the urge to wash my hair.

Imani

Do you mind me asking what phony pony you are using? I need a good reccomendation. Your hair looks great in your avatar.

No heat had me looking a hot mess too- I am so over that phase.

Keya, I do something similar, I don't airdry, I sit under my soft bonnet dryer with my hair twisted up with a scarf over it, and then flat iron the next morning. I am not skilled with a blow dryer at all. Between the air from the dryer and the scarf my hair dries pretty smoothly.

Right now I am kinda making my own phony pony using some old hair track pieces from a sew in I had last summer. I got the hair from His and Her hair, in natural perm straight.

AshMoBev

HELLO! My name is Ashley. (Hiii Ashley)....and I use HEAT! WooooHoooo to finally after soooo long see a thread that supports heat users!! How great is it to see people who are just like me!!

Beaute Noire

This is awesome..thanks OP for this wonderful thread!!!!!

yup I'm a HOT GIRL too!!!!!!!! :mob::mob:

I use heat weekly, blow dry and flat-iron.

I ALWAYS DC prior to heat styling<<--Very important for my hair.

Trim. Trim. Trim. Every 2 wks or so

*Using quality appliances has helped with performance and the overall health of my hair....when I upgraded from my Conair to my FHI, I noticed a huge difference.

not ashamed to say that I crank that puppy up to 450 degrees either, although I know that would give some members a heart-attack:blush::blush: LOL

jcdlox

weekly heat user here! I find that my hair does best when it is smooth, and heat is what gets it there. I am recently switching to air dry then quick pass with blow dryer to smooth, curling iron to style and its wrap it up nightly from there. No problems and combined with my new bone comb its ALL good!

Keys are protein (Aphogee 2 minute) to fortify hair, heat protectant and DC each time before heat styling and LOW manipulation.

Whew, confession IS good for the soul.

leigh.hill

Oh thanks goodness for this thread. I felt like I was "cheating" by using heat nearly everyday. Right before I joined the forum, I was all over YouTube trying the no-heat styles - bantu knot out, braid out, etc. After two weeks of my hair looking a hot mess, I realized I was actually PULLING my hair out trying to style my hair in the morning (plus I was late for work, ugh). Lots of breakage.

So I decided to go back to heat. During the week after exercising, I co-wash, air dry with scarf, next day curl the front and back, the rest in pulled up. Hey it works for me and I don't see any damage (not like before).

I am hoping when my hair is longer (right now I am neck length in the back, sides are just below my ears), when braidouts will look better.

chelleypie810

^^^I'm the same length as you! I too tried all the no heat styles. All I saw was hair on the floor and ugliness in the mirror. I had to get back on the heat wagon. Oh and I'm going to shamelessly plug my new love, Roux Porosity Control. All heat users should use this because it makes your hair sooooo much smoother. I promise!

leigh.hill

^^^I'm the same length as you! I too tried all the no heat styles. All I saw was hair on the floor and ugliness in the mirror. I had to get back on the heat wagon. Oh and I'm going to shamelessly plug my new love, Roux Porosity Control. All heat users should use this because it makes your hair sooooo much smoother. I promise!

Dear Hair Twin (lol),
Your October pic is about where I am right now. I bought the RPC, but I really don't know what to do with it. So if (correction, I forgot we are being honest here) SINCE I am using heat 5 or so times a week, how does RPC help? As for the sentence in bold - SPEAK THE TRUTH SISTA!!! Speak it loud!!!

chelleypie810

Dear Hair Twin (lol),
Your October pic is about where I am right now. I bought the RPC, but I really don't know what to do with it. So if (correction, I forgot we are being honest here) SINCE I am using heat 5 or so times a week, how does RPC help? As for the sentence in bold - SPEAK THE TRUTH SISTA!!! Speak it loud!!!

It just keeps your porosity in check. Honestly it makes my hair so much smoother because my porosity is in control. just google hair porosity and you'll find alot of information. I know sistaslick has an article, traycee on k.i.s.s has info, and hairlicious also has an article.

prisytomboy

It seems my hair likes heat. My hair prefer to be clean and have heat.

I use heat at least once a week however when stretching I blowdry and then flat iron most of the time. Sometimes I may do a twist or rollerset...either way I HAVE TO HAVE HEAT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

I must admit before LHCF I used heat almost everyday so I've come along way but I don't think I will ever be able to go heat free :nono:

mzsophisticated26

I started on the minimal heat/no direct challenges to try and thicken up my hair but I have noticed that air drying is not for my texlaxed hair unless I am going to braid it afterwards. I have been rollersetting since january which helped with thickness but it seems my hair is a lot more dry and I see a lot of hair on the floor when combing to wrap. I had success with blow drying and flat ironing weekly when I am not wear PS. Good to see a thread like this

misseyblue

It seems my hair likes heat. My hair prefer to be clean and have heat.

I use heat at least once a week however when stretching I blowdry and then flat iron most of the time. Sometimes I may do a twist or rollerset...either way I HAVE TO HAVE HEAT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

I must admit before LHCF I used heat almost everyday so I've come along way but I don't think I will ever be able to go heat free :nono:

this is sooo me!

thanks for sharing..

KnottyGurl

I started on the minimal heat/no direct challenges to try and thicken up my hair but I have noticed that air drying is not for my texlaxed hair unless I am going to braid it afterwards. I have been rollersetting since january which helped with thickness but it seems my hair is a lot more dry and I see a lot of hair on the floor when combing to wrap. I had success with blow drying and flat ironing weekly when I am not wear PS. Good to see a thread like this

I agree with bold, red sentence. :yep: I have good growth and retention when I use heat once or twice per week (blow dry, then flat-iron). If I don't, my hair starts getting extra dry and breaking off, and this is despite deep conditioning and oil rinses.:perplexed But hey, it works, so I'm sticking with it. Now if I could just stop wearing ponytails...:look:

mzcris

although I rollerset more than flat ironing my hair. I like heat and it does not cause any damage to my hair. I believe as long as your hair is clean, deep conditioned and be sure to use good products for heat protection your hair won't have any problems. I am not afraid of heat either and I like it also :)

This is a very reassuring thread. Like many of you, when I saw the hairboards and sites I read that heat was the devil, and stopped using it. But I feel more sure that I can still use heat responsibly and have thriving hair. I'm not using at the moment, since I'm a bit too lazy, I don't like the current length of my hair and I'm enjoying this half wig, but I will probably use more heat in future. I can flat iron without blowdrying and I still get it pretty straight. :D

The only thing is, I bought the FHI iron that was only one heating setting (410 degrees) :wallbash: instead of the one with temperature range, only because this one was cheaper. But now I am worried that 410 is maybe too high, though I have only used it a few times so far, but I do not want to be risking burning or damaging my hair. Can anyone tell me what they think of 410 degrees, is it really too high, or have you had any success with it? Thanks

LushLox

This is a very reassuring thread. Like many of you, when I saw the hairboards and sites I read that heat was the devil, and stopped using it. But I feel more sure that I can still use heat responsibly and have thriving hair. I'm not using at the moment, since I'm a bit too lazy, I don't like the current length of my hair and I'm enjoying this half wig, but I will probably use more heat in future. I can flat iron without blowdrying and I still get it pretty straight. :D

The only thing is, I bought the FHI iron that was only one heating setting (410 degrees) :wallbash: instead of the one with temperature range, only because this one was cheaper. But now I am worried that 410 is maybe too high, though I have only used it a few times so far, but I do not want to be risking burning or damaging my hair. Can anyone tell me what they think of 410 degrees, is it really too high, or have you had any success with it? Thanks

Well it sounds quite high to me, but what I've quickly learned is we are not all the same! Some folks may be able to tolerate it and others may not. You're going to have to assess it and see whether using heat of that level is okay for you, I don't think anyone else will be able to answer that except you really.

Victorian

old head

My Sedu is adjustable, but 410 is the highest it reaches. I've ironed up on full blast plenty of times. I only do it when I want my hair super bone straight though. Since you don't have the option of turning it down, you may consider other ways of manipulating your hair's exposure to the heat, such as ironing with only one pass, moving the iron very quickly, and/or using larger pieces of hair.

Beaute Noire

Well everyone's hair is different. Some can withstand very high temperatures of 410 and up while others have to use a lower setting in order to prevent heat damage. I think it also depends on the thickness and texture of your hair.

Personally, I'm very comfortable with using my irons on 410 and up...I have a FHI platform that I always keep on 450. I noticed my hair comes out very frizzy when ironing on anything lower than 400 degrees. Also, when using a higher temp I only have to use one pass, as opposed to ironing each 1in section 3-4 times. <<--this saves so much time!

I'm transitioning to natural so I have quite a bit of relaxed ends left but the high heat really gets my NG in check, as if I was freshly relaxed....and I haven't had any damage to the relaxed parts of my hair.

Can anyone tell me what they think of 410 degrees, is it really too high, or have you had any success with it? Thanks

Thank you ladies for your answers. I do only use one pass usually, as that gets it nice and straight, so I suppose it should OK. I guess that as long as I keep my hair healthy with plenty of conditioning, it should be able to withstand the heat. It's the FHI Technique flat iron that I have, and I did try to sell it on eBay once for a FHI Platform, but with no luck nobody bought it. But I think I should be OK with it for now, after all, I am transitioning and only mostly using it on my natural hair where it's needed, so I'd probably be more worried if I was fully relaxed and using this high heat.