Heat-Users Support Thread

imaccami

This is a very reassuring thread. Like many of you, when I saw the hairboards and sites I read that heat was the devil, and stopped using it. But I feel more sure that I can still use heat responsibly and have thriving hair. I'm not using at the moment, since I'm a bit too lazy, I don't like the current length of my hair and I'm enjoying this half wig, but I will probably use more heat in future. I can flat iron without blowdrying and I still get it pretty straight. :D

The only thing is, I bought the FHI iron that was only one heating setting (410 degrees) :wallbash: instead of the one with temperature range, only because this one was cheaper. But now I am worried that 410 is maybe too high, though I have only used it a few times so far, but I do not want to be risking burning or damaging my hair. Can anyone tell me what they think of 410 degrees, is it really too high, or have you had any success with it? Thanks

Everyone's hair is different, but 410 sounds really high to me. I use my Sedu at 340. I use a Babyliss 2000 watt ionic blowdryer. That allows me to use a lower temp on my flat iron.

SelfStyled

This is awesome..thanks OP for this wonderful thread!!!!!

yup I'm a HOT GIRL too!!!!!!!! :mob::mob:

I use heat weekly, blow dry and flat-iron.

I ALWAYS DC prior to heat styling<<--Very important for my hair.

Trim. Trim. Trim. Every 2 wks or so

*Using quality appliances has helped with performance and the overall health of my hair....when I upgraded from my Conair to my FHI, I noticed a huge difference.

not ashamed to say that I crank that puppy up to 450 degrees either, although I know that would give some members a heart-attack:blush::blush: LOL
JUst curious:look:...why do you trim every two weeks or so?

candita

definitely going to have to subscribe to this thread!

I tried over the years to severely limit the heat towards my hair, but a) I like my heat hairstyles more than the airdrying hairstyles and b) my hair responds better in terms of breakage. That was my biggest problem with no heat, was the breakage, despite DC treatments.

I tend to use heat once a week. After washing (90% with a DC Treatment with or without my bonnet dryer), I'll airdry to about 50-75%, then apply heat protectant and blowdry. Then between my three flat irons (which my roommate thinks is ridiculous but I use them all for different reasons), I'll flat iron my hair. The process for this takes anywhere from 2-4 hours, so it's usually my Sunday Project!

I feel comfortable with heat because I tried no heat and just decided that this is what works better for my hair and my comfort level. To help with conditioning and breakage, at night, I'll baggie my ends with some coconut or argan oil and sleep with a satin wrap.

theprototype

Oh, okay. :yep: I hope it's not due to heat damage though. BTW, your hair is gorgeous :love:

THANKS!

When I first started my HHJ, I changed a lot of the things I was doing/not doing to my hair, including heat use. Back then, I wasn't deep conditioning, moisturizing with the right moisturizers or sealing, etc. I did a complete overhaul of my regimen, including stopping direct heat use.

But I'm ready to try to slowly incorporate heat use back into my routine now that I am using better products and practices. Excited about it actually :)

tdwillis

So ladies, can we also recommend what products work best for heat stylers? So far, I've got Keratase, Roux Porosity Control, and a heat protectant. Any other product raves?

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Hmm, I thought coconut oil was a natural heat protectant, no? When I flat iron I make sure that I had a good moisturizing DC but only use the heat protectant on my ends. My results are better this way.

SelfStyled

So ladies, can we also recommend what products work best for heat stylers? So far, I've got Keratase, Roux Porosity Control, and a heat protectant. Any other product raves?

I LOVE the results I get w/ the Redken Smoothdown serum. Another I tip I learned here was to add a little moisturizer to my ends before I flat iron. I use HE Ltr because it is nice and light

Beaute Noire

JUst curious:look:...why do you trim every two weeks or so?
^^Funny you ask, I'm trimming as I type this LOL!

I have OCD when it comes to my ends. Although they are not damaged I opt to trim every 2 weeks:look: (3 weeks would drive me nuts!!) because I like them to look as perfect (blunt) as possible. I didn't trim for a loooooong time...at one point I went 2yrs without trimming. But once I started doing it myself, I became addicted:drunk:.

I am not concerned with length, I'm focused on the overall health of my hair. The more often I trim, the less I need to moisturize my ends because they are always in optimal condition. Quite frankly the only moisturizing they get is weekly DC's.

Granted, I probably don't need to trim every 2 weeks because as I mentioned before, my hair is in good condition. Also I'm only trimming 1/4 of an inch off each section so maybe this is considered "dusting."

And yes, I am very excited to be transitioning to natural!!!!!:yep::yep:

JJamiah

I just flat Ironed for the first time since December 24, 2009, ahhhh, my hair misses my flat iron!

Beaute Noire

Shampoo: I don't know if you shampoo or not but anything uber moisturizing is great paired with heat styling. I love Nexxus Therappe.
Conditioners: anything thick and moisturizing and cones are my friend when heat styling :yep: I like Aussie Moist, HH LTR, Redken SmoothDown, HH Hello Hydration, Mizani Thermasmooth<<---Great stuff!!!!
Leave in: I rotate between Aphogee green-tea, Aussie Hair Insurance, Chi Keratin Mist, MnT Detangler.
Serum: Chi silk or Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum are 2 of my all time favs although the Chi gets a lot of hype and is overrated to some... so I'll give you another good one: good ol' Frizz-Ease :yep:

When flat ironing less=more so the least amount of product you use can yield the best results (The only products I use liberally when heat styling are my leave in sprays when my hair is damp). Best meaning light, bouncy, and shiny hair.

HTH!

leigh.hill

I like the Chi Keratin Mist too and (before I gave it to my mom) I LOVED the Silk Infusion. I also use a generic version of the Paul Mitchel Supper Skinny Serum on my ends:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Smoothing-Serum/SBS-264130,default,pd.html

I am also experimenting with a mix of vegetable gylcerin, jojoba oil, world of curls activator, and hot 6 oil (some new; some old stuff) to keep my hair moisturized at 13 weeks post relaxer, especially needed IMO with me co-washing 4-5 days a week and using curling irons in the morning :lick:.

theprototype

Do any of you ladies use the One 'N Only Argan Oil that's sold at Sally's? It's loaded with cones, and I was wondering if it was ok to use on dry hair BEFORE flat ironing? I don't know how literal I should take the "oil" part of the name, considering argan oil is the last ingredient.

Beaute Noire

Do any of you ladies use the One 'N Only Argan Oil that's sold at Sally's? It's loaded with cones, and I was wondering if it was ok to use on dry hair BEFORE flat ironing? I don't know how literal I should take the "oil" part of the name, considering argan oil is the last ingredient.

Yup that's exactly how I use it...on dry clean hair before flat-ironing. Just a drop concentrating on your ends (u may not want to use it on ur scalp because of the cones). I've used it on damp hair before blow drying but I prefer it on dry hair because I tend to use less product when my hair is dry.

stelladata

I almost never used heat when I was natural because I believed that the heat was damaging. lol

Anyway, now, I use my flatiron at least once every two weeks depending, but I make sure I deep condition with something everyweek, be it eggs, mayonnaise, amla, henna or whatever.

I also have the same fears you do that it is possibly damaging but i'm pushing hip length and so far I have no frail ends to complain about.

That doesnt mean I intend on abusing my hair, I am still cautious.

So this is my routine so far, though it is still needs work.

-Shampoo, condition w/ K-pak recondtruct
-detangle and part into 4 buns then, air dry
-apply pea size or less of biosilk therapy to each section
-straighten with solia ceramic flat iron, temp at 450. I part thick sections and run the flat iron over each part once i.e. I dont go over it again and again until it's pin straight.. no.. I like a little frizz because I know once i wrap my hair the next morning it will turn out less puffy so whatever.
-wrap, tie my silk scarf, then go to bed.lol

a_shoe_6307

How did I miss this thread!!! I love heat as well!

I think my hair in thrives when I straighten every 2 weeks, but because I love to workout and do so 4-5 times a week my hair just looks like crap after one workout. I sweat A LOT and I just end up looking like a frizzy mess. Do any of you ladies have any suggestions???

leigh.hill

Ashoe6307 - check out the "exercise & hair" thread. You might find some suggestions there. Personally, I see no way around exercising 4-5 times a week, then co-washing and NOT use heat for my neck length hair. I have tried it all and my only solution (for right now) is a little heat.

Imani

Still heating it up! I'm still transitioning and I have way more natural hair than relaxed hair. I also still dc under a steamer at least every other week.

I only wear my hair out on the weekends. I work out during the week and wear half wigs to work.

I was in kinky twist extensions for the month of July and thinking about getting them again soon.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Love this thread! THanks OP:) I use heat every wash day every 5-7 days. I t-shirt dry to about 70%, blow dry and flat iron. DC and elucence leave in, Biolage thermal active-Repair and Elucence serum. No issues for me (but I'm a newbie 66 days into my HHJ). As a newbie I tried air drying - tough dry hair and lots of breakage, each time - and just unmanageable not so lovely hair!

newbeginnings2010

Subscribing! I plan on using heat every 3 - 6 months and bunning the rest of the time. It gives me the satisfaction of seeing my length and I still can retain length as well. I don't think I'll lose more than 1/8th of an inch of progress each straightening, IF I even lose that. To be honest, my sister-in-law straightened my hair with her maxiglide and I was SUPER afraid of the teeth. She put in on the highest heat, but she didn't grip too tight. I didn't really even lose THAT much hair. The hair ball I lost was about the size of my thumb fingernail. I'm keeping it straight for a week. It's been three days, and so far I've only finger-combed it and put it in one big pin curl high on my head at night.

I also believe that anyone can get to at least SL with weekly heat. I have 10 sisters-in-law, and after looking at their hair for years, I believe that's a fact. After that, if you have a much drier hair texture than most black women (like me), I think it's best to limit direct heat to, at the most, once every 2 months.

Emz Forever

Thank goodness for this thread. I was wondering if I was the only one who uses heat. My regi is prepoo, shampoo, DC twice a week with a cowash or two thrown in as needed. When I first started my HHJ a few months ago, I cut out heat completely cos that's what you're 'supposed to do'. However, I've noticed that when I use heat, my hair is smoother and less prone to tangles. So now I use heat, but I use it smarter than I did pre hair care journey. So no more mega-high heat, smoke city, or burnt hair smell. I mostly blowdry with warm air or rollerset. I am going to flat iron in a few days when I relax to see how much length I've gained on this 5 month stretch. So yeah, heat rocks :)

shininnebear

Use heat 4x a month (each week when I wash), works great, no knots/dryness. I agree with never doing it on dirty hair though, leads to breakage-city.

^^^All I saw was hair on the floor and ugliness in the mirror.

I feel you on that one. The air dry styles did NOT work for the look I wanted.

KnottyGurl

:lol: I haven't visited this thread in a while. Right now, I'm transitioning and participating in a "Summer No Heat" Challenge. I think I may use heat once every 4 weeks for slipknots (natural) and managability (transitioning). I still like heat even though I'm not using it much anymore. :yep:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Heat lover over here!

I have a question though. For years I've been flat-ironing my hair using a heat protector spray AND CHI SI. I'd rub the CHI SI in first and then spray each section that I'm about to flat-iron as I go with the heat protector spray. I'm starting to think I'm using too much spray because sometimes my hair gets weighed down.

How do you all use your heat protector sprays? Do you rub it all in your whole head at once BEFORE flat-ironing? Or do you spray it on each section as you go?

SelfStyled

Heat lover over here!

I have a question though. For years I've been flat-ironing my hair using a heat protector spray AND CHI SI. I'd rub the CHI SI in first and then spray each section that I'm about to flat-iron as I go with the heat protector spray. I'm starting to think I'm using too much spray because sometimes my hair gets weighed down.

How do you all use your heat protector sprays? Do you rub it all in your whole head at once BEFORE flat-ironing? Or do you spray it on each section as you go?

Hairsnob-I make 4 sections, and I do a squirt for each section. I use Redken Smooth Down Serum.

I am probably flatironing only 1x a month now. I have been trying to lose weight since the beginning of the summer- so it is a moot point to flat iron, because my hair reverts after 1 workout:nono:.

I really miss my straight hair.

The most I do is flat iron my bang if I am wearing a half wig that I am blending.