Help!!! Airdrying in braids causes dry, brittle & broken ends

SherylsTresses

Whenever I airdry in braids or out hanging loose, my ends ALWAYS turn out dry and brittle by nightfall. :perplexed For bedtime, I moisturized with oil-based or water-based moisturizers and seal with EVCO or EVOO but to no avail. It just becomes moisturized straw. I would love to rock a healthy braidout! :lick: I have no problem airdrying in rollersets though. Sometimes I airdry using the scarf method and rollersetting the back only. Just braiding on dry hair gives me the same problem. I dunno maybe braids aren't for me.

What do you advise? TIA :yep:

Here is my complete regimen:

1. Separate hair into 4 or 6 sections w/ long scrunci clamps
2. Prepoo scalp and hair alternating protein and moisture
3. Shampoo diluted heavily with water (Thanks Kami & Chicoro)
4. Deep condition mixing in 1 tbsp EVOO, JBCO & honey and apply onto hair in sections using conditioning cap and sit under dryer for 20-30 mins
5. Let DC cool, add more conditioner and get into shower. Gently detangle one section at a time with running water and shower comb
6. Use Roux Porosity Control as my final rinse***new***
7. Rollerset:
- Using Chi Keratin Mist, Lacio Lacio & KeraCare leave-in, setting lotion, and sometimes oil my wet ends then airdry
- Keep style using 6 flexirods or sleep in baggy and wear hair out during the day
8. Buns:
- Scarf method with using Chi Keratin Mist, Lacio Lacio & KeraCare leave-in, setting lotion, and always oil my wet ends then airdry. (Thanks Sylver2)
9. Moisturize with Nexxus humectin conditioner sometimes mixed w/ NTM silk touch then seal with 100% pure jojoba, coconut, JBCO, grapeseed, sweet almond or olive oil as needed
10. Baggy every night when bunning
11. Once monthly I steam flat iron, blowout roots, braidout or bantu knots

- When hair is too dry:
Prepoo overnight with Nexxus humectin and EVOO instead of shampoo for the week and deep condition with heat. Use shampoo the following weekend or as needed.

I use my water-based moisturizer Nexxus Humectin Conditioner, yes, as a moisturizer...

- Clarify:
Use KeraCare 1st Lather then follow-up using KC moisturizing shampoo. I do not prepoo when I clarify. Clarifying hair makes it easier to comb thru since it removes buildup. I clarify once a month

- Deep conditioning:
I use my KeraCare Humecto and/or Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin mixed with 1 tbsp EVOO, honey and Jamaican black castor oil. Sit under dryer for 20-30 mins. Use Roux Porosity Control as my final rinse

- Protein treatment:
Use a light protein conditioner on dry hair for 20 mins. DC w/ heat for 45 mins. Use KeraCare moisturizing leave-in. Treatments done on wash day before retouch. (Thanks Isis33 from LHCF & Fotki)

- Prepoo (alternate the two)
Protein:
Light protein conditioner for 20 mins. DC w/ heat for 45 mins. Use KeraCare moisturizing leave-in.

Moisture:
For dirty and itchy scalp.....
1 cup Pantene moisturizing conditioner
Two tablespoons each.....
EVOO (treatment for damaged, dry hair, superior penetrating power)
Tea tree oil (antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal)
Peppermint oil (promotes hair growth)
Sleep in overnight
-or-
Apply Pantene moisturizing conditioner and EVOO and sleep in it overnight

- Exercising:
Bun: As is with side curls in pincurls
Rollerset: My hair is usually in 6 pincurls

WaistLengthDreams

When I do air-dried braidouts normally, I moisturize my ends with something heavy, like Elasta QP Mango Butter, and then seal it with a light oil. I'm not sure if it solve your problem or not, but it works for me. HTH.

ETA: Also, I moisturize/seal after finishing each braid is done.

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

When I do air-dried braidouts normally, I moisturize my ends with something heavy, like Elasta QP Mango Butter, and then seal it with a light oil. I'm not sure if it solve your problem or not, but it works for me. HTH.

ETA: Also, I moisturize/seal after finishing each braid is done.

Thanks so much for your response IntheMix08, I've heard lots about Elasta QP Mango Butter. I'll definitely check it out. :yep:

locabouthair

I gave up on aidrying. I decided to just listen to my hair and it was sooo chrunchy and dry and just kept snapping off. My hair came out very soft when I just decided to blow dry on cool hair until the hair was 70% dry. This week I will just sit under the dryer with cool hair.

nymane

Hmmm...I always air dry in braids & my ends thrive

I usually DC on dry hair
Rinse
Co-wash
Apply my HE LTR leave-in and seal w/ Africa's Best Herbal Oil (focusing on the ends)
Then put 6 braids in...and pin them up

After it's about 70% dry I put some more moisturizer and oil on the ends

JustKiya

I airdry in braids, but I seal them before they are fully dry. So, I get out of the shower with two strand twists. I let my hair dry like that for a while - long enough so that it won't shrink back up as soon as I take them out of the twist, short enough that they are still damp. I take down the twist, coat the hair liberally with castor oil, put it back into a braid, and let dry.
I've been doing this for - a while. A long while, actually, and it's worked wonderfully.

Nubenap22

Yea i think something of a thicker consistency will help... I used natural from (native sun store)castor oil on my moms hair this morning and her ends looked great they usually look frazzled

HairBella08

I gave up on aidrying. I decided to just listen to my hair and it was sooo chrunchy and dry and just kept snapping off. My hair came out very soft when I just decided to blow dry on cool hair until the hair was 70% dry. This week I will just sit under the dryer with cool hair.

Ditto what she said. this works for me too and my hair stays soft.:yep:

CaliDiamond

I used to have this problem too until I tried Qhemet Biologics Alma and Olive Heavy cream. When I started using this along with coconut oil, I saw a DRASTIC improvement in my hair.

lboogie2679

I had the same problem for the longest time. I finally found a combo that works. After conditioning I section the hair and apply a small amount of the Giovanni Leave-In, seal with oil, and detangle. I then tie my hair down with a scarf to lay flat. I remove the scarf periodically and comb with the wide tooth comb and add a little more oil and my hair airdries without any frizz. I use about two quarter-size dabs of leavin and a light touch with the oil. HTH

SherylsTresses

I had the same problem for the longest time. I finally found a combo that works. After conditioning I section the hair and apply a small amount of the Giovanni Leave-In, seal with oil, and detangle. I then tie my hair down with a scarf to lay flat. I remove the scarf periodically and comb with the wide tooth comb and add a little more oil and my hair airdries without any frizz. I use about two quarter-size dabs of leavin and a light touch with the oil. HTH

Thanks Lboogie! I will definitely try this! Love that name. :yep: