HELP DEN1!!! WHICH RELAXER TO USE???

Nanyanika

As some of you know, I had a virgin relaxer with Affirm fiberguard mild five weeks ago, my hairdresser texturise my hair for 4-5 minutes. I want to go over it again, to get it straighter. Sheldeez hair salon sent me a free relaxer for the inconvience they caused with my last order. Unfortunately, they mixed up the order again and sent original Affirm mild lye. Could I use this safely? If I send it back it will cost a lot of money for delivery/tax/custom charges, plus I'd have to wait another two-three weeks for arrival and pay customs to release the parcel, I do not have money to waste. Any advice is appreciated
grin.gif

Hi den1
wave.gif

Affirm lye is quite good but you need to get all that goes with it in order to rip the full benefits (5-in-1 conditioner etc). Alternatively you could use Eluence relaxer, it's been getting a lot of raves. Good luck on your decision.

I think you could certainly use Affirm mild lye but I prefer Mizani these days (sensitive scalp). If you leave that on with no smoothing and your hair is as much like mine as it looks you will have beautiful curls.

Hello Brandy
wave.gif
thanks for your reply, I already have the Affirm 5-1 reconstructor, I just need the normalising shampoo, thanks for the suggestions, however I wish to stick with one formula/brand, plus cannot afford to spend anymore, I've been too crazy with money recently.

DahomeyAhosi Hello
wave.gif
, its nice to hear from you. I saw your hair photo's Wow
shocked.gif
your hair is beauitful, both texturised and straightened, from the hair photos, our hair looks similar, only that your texturised hair is appears to be more wavier, I have a lot of frizz as well as waves/curls. Would you believe that my hair is reverting, its getting harder to comb, not to mention the tons of new growth.
ohwell.gif

Hi Den, I hope I am not too late to the party
smile.gif
I almost would favor sticking to the orignal one - Fiberguard Mild. No sense in "Changing Horses In Midstream" ..

Thanks for the compliment. Coming from you that really makes me smile... I thought I'd imagined Affirm reverting but I think that happened to me too. My second texturizer application got rid of the frizz completely but I also had major frizz after the first application. Just be extra careful about the application time.

Hi Mufasa, I agree with you, it is preferable to stay with the original, It would be helpful if someone could point out the differences in the actual relaxer product, I conclude that the Fiberguard may contain extra conditioning agents or a lower level of SH.

Hi den1..
I really can't help you since i get my hair relaxed not texturized (i get it relaxed about 80-85% so it has slight waves) I used affirm fiberguard mild and the original and they both did the same thing honestly. They do say that the fiberguard has more conditioners so it will take longer to process your hair than the original (i find that the only difference is that i leave the original affirm on a shorter time than the fiberguard)

Thanks FoxyBronx and DahomeyAhosi, you've put my mind at rest, I looked at your photos too and your hair is also gorgeous and has a lovely shine to it. I'm hoping for similar results with lots of wave. I will use the original Affirm mild, and do strand tests to determine timing and results, Could I apply a light coat of castor oil to my hair to slow the process down slightly? Also did you smooth the relaxer throughout the hair? I'm grateful for any extra advice
wink.gif

I did apply castor oil to my ends before the second texturizer application and I didn't have any breakage or overprocessing so I think that's a great idea. My stylist smoothed only my new growth (and just a bit) so that it would match the rest of my hair. Good luck to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Mufasa said:
Hi Den, I hope I am not too late to the party
smile.gif
I almost would favor sticking to the orignal one - Fiberguard Mild. No sense in "Changing Horses In Midstream" ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I know it's a pain to have to go through all the trouble of reurning the product and paying the extra bucks, BUT I think it's best to stick with the original!!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Ditto. I know it's a pain to have to go through all the trouble of reurning the product and paying the extra bucks, BUT I think it's best to stick with the original!!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Caramelkiss
smile.gif
, I visited my stylist today, and she has refused to use the Affirm original mild, so it seems like i'll be sticking with the fiberguard mild. Thankfully, she has some left, for exclusively going over the hair. However, I'm holding on to the original I may switch to this formula when doing my normal 12 weekly touch-ups.

Back