Miss Key 10 en 1 30 min plastic cap + head scarf no heat
Salerm 21 + lacio
Partial hair dry
Aphogee essential fatty acids
Cover with scarf.
When 90% dry
Greased scalp with B&amp;B
Rollerset adding recovery to each section [/list]

I observed that my hair felt soft &amp; strong while rollersetting. It seems to have retained moisture BUT I still had breakage!??
Next morning: curls were crisp, too hard for my taste. I still had serious breakage. My only saving grace was that I spritz with African Braid Sheen Spray with Tea Tree &amp; Peppermint Oil. It SOFTENED my hair IMMEDIATELY. NOW I have the hair in 2 ponytails

My questions are: why would I still experience breakage after a protein treatment? and why the next morning when I took the rollers out was my hair hard?

Thanks ladies.

Angelicus

The first thing I was thinking was that you used so many products and steps on your hair! dang /images/graemlins/laugh.gif You probably had so much on your hair (since CON leaves a film, salerm + lacio = more film, EFA = more stuff on hair, then recovery = more film). I kinda consider Miss Key &amp; ORS Mayo as strengthening conditioners, meaning that you used protein conditioner after protein conditioner, after protein conditioner = snap, crackle, pop.

When I do a protein treatment, I section my hair, do a pretreatment (or protein treatment), then shampoo and acv rinse. Finally use a moisturizing conditioner and leave-in.

Less is more, maybe. *jumping behind couch*

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
I kinda consider Miss Key &amp; ORS Mayo as strengthening conditioners, meaning that you used protein conditioner after protein conditioner, after protein conditioner = snap, crackle, pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking too. It doesn't look like you ever followed up the Aphogee with JUST a moiturizing conditioner (Miss Key and the Hair Mayo contain protein). Even though the Aphogee Balancing Conditioner is supposed to be used after the Treatment to soften the hair, people almost ALWAYS have to use a really good, deep moisturizing conditioner to be safe. Definitely try that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bajanplums1

Oh ladies thanks so much. I think I do need to use a pure moisturizing conditioner. I seem to have a hard time finding conditioners sans protein. I have DPR-11. I guess I should've used that one.

But thanks so much for your feedback. My hair is soft now thanks the the Braid Sheen Spray--it has herbs + water + glycerin.

I need to find a pure moisturizing conditioner. I do not plan to do the treatment again until Jan. 14, I will take note of your advice.

PrettyBrownEyes

Yes, you definately used too many products with protein, and that Aphogee Balancing Moisturizing conditioner isn't very moisturizing imo.

There are quite a few moisturizing conditioners out there sans protein or at least light proteins. To name a few: Keracare Humecto
Motions Moisture Plus
L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme
and Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cutebajangirl

Yeah, way to much stuff and several of what you called moisturizing conditioners are really weak portien conditioners IMO. Here is what I would do:

1.clarify
2.Elasta QP Creme Conditioning poo (Con leaves a film)
3.Aphogee (even though I prefer penetraitt)
4.Biolage Ultrahydrating conditioner or Lafier Lanolin Creme Rinse (15min heat or not)

I highly doubt you will see breakage with this. HTH.

naomi

good skin and hair
After you rinse out aphogee treatment for damage hair, then you should shampoo that out immediately. Because the residue from aphogee is still in your hair. And then apply an actual moisturizing conditioner sans the protein.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
I kinda consider Miss Key &amp; ORS Mayo as strengthening conditioners, meaning that you used protein conditioner after protein conditioner, after protein conditioner = snap, crackle, pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking too. It doesn't look like you ever followed up the Aphogee with JUST a moiturizing conditioner (Miss Key and the Hair Mayo contain protein). Even though the Aphogee Balancing Conditioner is supposed to be used after the Treatment to soften the hair, people almost ALWAYS have to use a really good, deep moisturizing conditioner to be safe. Definitely try that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. Either that or switch to emergencee /images/graemlins/poke.gif I am a LONG time aphogee user (over 15 yrs) and i will say that emergencee leaves my hair feeling much better after using it than the aphogee ever did. No hardness at ALL... nothing but soft 'n sleek hair /images/graemlins/love.gif

Honi

There is no board.
I agree with what Anky said. The instructions state to use the balancing moisturizing conditioner but have a good back up just in case like Kenra.