Help! Has Anyone Tried This?

Bun Mistress

I was a major user of Afro detangler back in the day it was the only thing I could use that would moisturize my hair not leave it oily and didn't have a lot of build up. I recently saw a post some where else that this was a new version of this. Has anyone tried it?

upload_2018-12-13_10-5-23.png

LiLi

INGREDIENTS: avocado/mango/shea butter, vitamin E, avocado oil, almond oil, wheat germ oil, lecithin, green tea, germaben II, mild fragrance
Thank you!!!!! That was the version I loved before she changed it. I thought it was only the preservative that was changed but she removed the almond oil and wheat germ oil in the second version. I am going to try to make some myself.

LiLi

@LiLi keep mme posted if you come up ith a recipe. I lookeed again this version has wax in it which builds up on my hair so it likely wont work for me.
I will definitely let you know. I have never mixed any products so it will be trial and error. I am ordering the ingredients this weekend. Does anyone know if I absolutely have to put lechitin in the mixture? I was just going to use everything up until that. Also, I feel like the orginal version had water but I think Robin just didn’t list it on the bottles originally.

Bun Mistress

Ok this is funny I was thinking the same thing. I was going to use the Lechitin but leave out the germaben as I don't think i will need the preservative. Lechitin did have some positive benefits so I was going to include it.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Used it on my little one today. His hair has product in it already

Consistency is thinner and tad wetter than AD. It’s off white. It disappeared in with smoothing. There’s no smell. It detangled well but not with slip. Just by me continuing to smooth the product into each section.

I put in big twists for the night. I’ll see how it feels in the morning.

Bun Mistress

I may still try this too but I need way more than 1 oz.

I got half of the prodcts that I need to try to make this at home today, the other half is to come in tomorrow. I have been looking p recipes already for ideas.

Bun Mistress

I am going to use the following link as a guide to make this, this was a watery product not a butter so a recipe like this one seemed a good guide:
https://crafts.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-make-a-simple-shea-butter-lotion--craft-8049

Also I realized that Lecithin was the emulsifier so I think I am in the right direction.

I am using green tea instead of water, and no glycerin (my hair has never liked gylcerin).

I will try to carefully measure everything and have some weights to go with a general recipe.

LiLi

I am going to use the following link as a guide to make this, this was a watery product not a butter so a recipe like this one seemed a good guide:
https://crafts.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-make-a-simple-shea-butter-lotion--craft-8049

Also I realized that Lecithin was the emulsifier so I think I am in the right direction.

I am using green tea instead of water, and no glycerin (my hair has never liked gylcerin).

I will try to carefully measure everything and have some weights to go with a general recipe.

Thank you for this link! I have been researching and am sooo confused!! I am waiting on my blender so I can mix everything. I am anxious to see how yours comes out. I am just going to make enough to use weekly but am really confused about how much of each ingredient to add.

Bun Mistress

@LiLi I found this as well:

Germaben II - If you are making lotions, and you wish to keep your lotions nice and creamy without mold and other nasties growing in your creations, you need Germaben II. Germaben is a mixture of propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, and propylparaben. It is meant to be used as .3 to 1.0% of the total weight of your lotion. Germaben II needs to be at a temperature of 140F degrees or below to effectively inhibit mold and bacterial growth.

Bun Mistress

also this:

Lecithin is a naturally occurring group of phospholipids that can be found in plants and animals cells. It has been used in the food and cosmetic industry as a lipophilic emulsifier and thickener. Lecithin is very rich in the B complex vitamins and is highly nutritive for the skin and hair. It is best used in heavier, creamier formulations and can be used with the beeswax and borax combination. Use lecithin at 1-4% to keep your formulations from becoming too heavy and greasy. Our lecithin is naturally derived from soy and is not bleached. It is in liquid form, making it easier to use.

LiLi

also this:

Lecithin is a naturally occurring group of phospholipids that can be found in plants and animals cells. It has been used in the food and cosmetic industry as a lipophilic emulsifier and thickener. Lecithin is very rich in the B complex vitamins and is highly nutritive for the skin and hair. It is best used in heavier, creamier formulations and can be used with the beeswax and borax combination. Use lecithin at 1-4% to keep your formulations from becoming too heavy and greasy. Our lecithin is naturally derived from soy and is not bleached. It is in liquid form, making it easier to use.
Interesting. I will go ahead and get some of that as well. Thank you!!

Bun Mistress

Hello all, I felt guilty that I had not updated this thread with what I had found.

So I have come to the conclusion that there is no way that Afro detangler was only the ingredients that wer listed on the bottle. For the following reasons:

Soy Lecthin or any Lecithin emulsion can only been up to 50: 50 water in oil. Any more than that and you would have to have a second emollient for the watery consistency that the previous product had.

This product was at last 70% to 85% water. All of the ingredients listed would have been in the oil phase (you can arge the the orange and green tea extracts could have been in the water phase but its unlikely.

The color of the product. This product was pink. By the ingredients listed would have made a yellow product. All of the lecithins I have come across are an amber color, wheat germ oil is yellow, avocado oil can be a pale yellow as is the green tea extract.

So I started thinking what was the product really? And I think I Have a better idea. I remmeber when there was a ton of products sold online that were just a base witha few add ins and I found this last night:

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/Creme-Extra-Conditioner-Base-All-Natural-p/cecb2-bs.htm

short story the ingredients are: Water, Aloe Vera Juice, Shea Butter, BTMS, Avocado Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Silver Dihydrogen Citrate, Citric Acid

I think that the best bet is that she addedsome butters and extracts to the base, watered it down and sld it as "home made". I don't think it is impossible to make this yourself with the ingredients listed on the bottle. I think it would take BTMS or a better O/W emollient (this is an emolllient that can make oil in water mixtures with or really without the Lecithin) to make something close to what she produced.

Last edited:

Blackpearl1993

I'm probably late in asking this, but is the AD not sold at all anymore? I would love to have it for my daughter. I searched for that and the Flat Ironing Cream online and I can't find anything. It sounds like she went out of business?

Bun Mistress

I'm probably late in asking this, but is the AD not sold at all anymore? I would love to have it for my daughter. I searched for that and the Flat Ironing Cream online and I can't find anything. It sounds like she went out of business?

No its not. I finally made my own version using a base conditioner. I loved this product. Luckily with the base conditioner is thick and can be diluted and then add in the oils butters so it will last a while.

I hope this helps.