Help. How Do I Detangle Hair Properly Before I Shampoo?

trueimage.

I am several weeks post relaxer and i have alot of new growth when I wash my hair I get alot of tangles and alot of knots. I loose alot of hair. Should i put conditioner in my hair and detangle before I shampoo? I use coconut oil but that doesn't help.

frizzy

I use the "conditioner before washing" method and on sectioned hair.

I spritz the hair with water sometimes, depending on how thick the conditioner is, then I add conditioner to my whole head in sections before I go back to the first section and detangle. This lets the conditioner soak in and soften the hair before you start combing it out.

I also go from wide-tooth comb to medium to fine-tooth combs to make sure all the shedd hair is out before I wash it out.

trueimage.

I use the "conditioner before washing" method and on sectioned hair.

I spritz the hair with water sometimes, depending on how thick the conditioner is, then I add conditioner to my whole head in sections before I go back to the first section and detangle. This lets the conditioner soak in and soften the hair before you start combing it out.

I also go from wide-tooth comb to medium to fine-tooth combs to make sure all the shedd hair is out before I wash it out.
Do you condition again and detangle after shampooing ?

frizzy

Lately yes, because my current routine has been using silicone products and washing roughly every 2 weeks.

I've been doing braid/twist and curl on blowdried hair to style, so since I have time right now, I detangle with conditioner then wash and DC with heat for extra moisture.

@trueimage.

icsonia22

I am several weeks post relaxer and i have alot of new growth when I wash my hair I get alot of tangles and alot of knots. I loose alot of hair. Should i put conditioner in my hair and detangle before I shampoo? I use coconut oil but that doesn't help.

I know this response is late but I have transitioning hair. I had the absolute easiest detangle session the other week from tweaking naptural85's 25 minute cowash method. I grabbed some vegetable oil out of the cabinet and poured it to the top of a red cup. Then I got in the shower, parted my hair in 4 sections and poured the oil on each section. It's messy but worth it. Then I put a lot of Aussie moist conditioner on each section and used a wide tooth comb from ends to roots while shower water was running over whichever section I was working on. It made detangling ridiculously easy. If you do that before you shampoo and keep your hair in sections, you'll never dread a detangling session again.

Evolving78

Use oil and detangling spray. Finger detangle first, then go in a with a wide comb. After that, use a fine toothed comb