(Help) how to repair damage from relaxer overlapping and runoff

Etherielle

What is the most effective way to restore relaxed hair that has suffered from overlapping and relaxer runoff? And is now extremely delicate when wet. This happened during a carelessly done touch-up relaxer.

demlew

Sounds like it overprocessed :-( I'd shampoo with the neutralizing shampoo to make sure it's all gone, do a protein treatment (I'm not good at suggesting a hard protein like Aphogee bc my hair doesn't like it), and wrap it to air dry so that you don't have to use heat to dry or style (or use low heat if you have to). I'd recommend the Olaplex line first. Sally's Effective Care is also good and is on the ground and you can buy a small pack to try. A Nutress conditioner pack (also sold at Sally's) is another excellent product. When I use either of those, it's like they're a good balance of moisture/protein so I don't have to do a moisturizing DC like most do after Aphogee. Good luck! Maybe someone else will have other suggestions.

For your next relaxer (I'd probably stretch as long as possible with weekly DCs), be sure to coat the previously-relaxed strands. I've been using Olaplex 3 to do this, but other conditioners or grease would work too.

ETA: Theresamonet is right. I misspoke. Olaplex isn't a protein.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Olaplex is not a protein treatment. It’s a bond rebuilder. The Olaplex will rebuild some of the broken disulfide bonds, and a protein treatment adds a protective barrier to the strands, and will fortify any compromised areas of the cuticle layer. I’d recommend you do both. You can do them back to back.

Start with Olaplex #3 — wash out—hard protein treatment—rinse— moisturizing deep conditioner.

I would do this weekly, replacing the hard protein with a milder one after the first time, until my hair has regained its strength. Always follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner.