HELP, I can't stop this breakage!!!

MD_Lady

I know this topic has been addressed, but I'm starting a new thread to solicit feedback for my specific situation:

I'm a relaxed (mostly) 4a and have been trying for the past 2 years to battle the breakage in the back of my head and on the crown. I've gotten several trims, but this last cut was the most :wallbash: because it was my first as an LHCF member and I've been working hard to resolve the problem.

In addition to taking supplements, I've realized that the problem area is coarser and drier than others and have been applying ORS OO and the EO mixture to both spots at least once a day. I co-wash/DC once a week and have been pre-treating/washing/protein/DCing weekly starting after week 4 post relaxer (I go every 6 weeks or else my the breakage problem gets worse). I saw a dermatologist who prescribed a scalp cream after diagnosing me with 'dermatitis'. My stylist didn't see any scalp issues (I have no problem growing hair and don't even have dandruff) and is drawing a blank about why I keep having the same problem.

I had to wait 8 weeks this last time and the my hair had broken all the way down to the new growth. :cry: (I had about 1/2 inch of new growth and 1 1/2 inches of relaxed hair).

Right now, I'm frustrated beyond belief and want this breakage madness to stop NOW!!! :mad: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :yep: Please see my album for pics.

MY ALBUM: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=519

Irresistible

I know this topic has been addressed, but I'm starting a new thread to solicit feedback for my specific situation:

I'm a relaxed (mostly) 4a and have been trying for the past 2 years to battle the breakage in the back of my head and on the crown. I've gotten several trims, but this last cut was the most :wallbash: because it was my first as an LHCF member and I've been working hard to resolve the problem.

In addition to taking supplements, I've realized that the problem area is coarser and drier than others and have been applying ORS OO and the EO mixture to both spots at least once a day. I co-wash/DC once a week and have been pre-treating/washing/protein/DCing weekly starting after week 4 post relaxer (I go every 6 weeks or else my the breakage problem gets worse). I saw a dermatologist who prescribed a scalp cream after diagnosing me with 'dermatitis'. My stylist didn't see any scalp issues (I have no problem growing hair and don't even have dandruff) and is drawing a blank about why I keep having the same problem.

I had to wait 8 weeks this last time and the my hair had broken all the way down to the new growth. :cry: (I had about 1/2 inch of new growth and 1 1/2 inches of relaxed hair).

Right now, I'm frustrated beyond belief and want this breakage madness to stop NOW!!! :mad: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :yep: Please see my album for pics.

Ur talking about the ORS OO leave in right? not the conditioner 'replenishing thing?

I cant figure it out , but I will say my hair just kept breaking and breaking and breaking for years no matter what I did when I relaxed, that area might not be so tolerant to it, I know my crown and nape were the ones to go every time, just depended on which one wanted to trip out on me at the time

Neith

I have eczema (dermatitis) all over my body. I was born with it and I will always have it. It's under control, but I still get small flareups.

A few years ago I had one really bad flare up on my scalp which resulted in A LOT of hair loss to my sides and nape. I was bald in the back and the sides!

As you can see now, my hair grew back completely and it's growing and thriving now. You can get through this!

:bighug:

I will be right back with how I treated it! Also, feel free to PM me!

Neith

1) I stopped relaxing those areas. I was fortunate enough that my hair was long enough to cover the bald areas.

If your hair isn't, maybe try investing in a good wig... just until your hair grows out and strengthens!

2) I kept my scalp CLEAN and moisturized. No petroleum or heavy oils on my scalp. I shampooed or co washed once a week I deep conditioned as well. I paid special attention in getting the shampoo/conditioner onto my scalp and massaging it in. I also rinsed everything very thoroughly.

3) In the morning and at night I would apply witchhazel to the affected areas of my scalp with a q tip. I did this because I feel that it kills bacteria and helps with inflammation and infection.

After applying the witchazel, I would put a mixture of TEA TREE OIL and jojoba or olive oil to my scalp. I would put about 30 drops of tea tree oil in 2 oz of carrier oil. A few drops of rosemary is also good to add to this, but the real help is the tea tree oil.

I would apply this LIGHTLY to my scalp.

Also, once every 3 days or so, I would skip the oil mix and put on the medicine that is prescribed to me for my eczema (Elecon)

It took a few months, but with DAILY care my hair started coming back. First a little fuzz, but with repeated treatment, it was growing in strong!

I did NOT relax until I had about 3 inches of solid, healthy growth. I would braid and clip down the natural hair (it was hidden under my relaxed hair)

Hopefully you can take something from this!

MD_Lady

Ur talking about the ORS OO leave in right? not the conditioner 'replenishing thing?
Yes. :yep:

I cant figure it out , but I will say my hair just kept breaking and breaking and breaking for years no matter what I did when I relaxed, that area might not be so tolerant to it, I know my crown and nape were the ones to go every time, just depended on which one wanted to trip out on me at the time
And that's something that's also on that's also in the back of my mind. I also have been thinking about how if differences in texture are part of the issue, as long as I'm relaxing, I'll face an up hill battle with this problem.

MD_Lady

1) I stopped relaxing those areas. I was fortunate enough that my hair was long enough to cover the bald areas.

If your hair isn't, maybe try investing in a good wig... just until your hair grows out and strengthens!

2) I kept my scalp CLEAN and moisturized. No petroleum or heavy oils on my scalp. I shampooed or co washed once a week I deep conditioned as well. I paid special attention in getting the shampoo/conditioner onto my scalp and massaging it in. I also rinsed everything very thoroughly.

3) In the morning and at night I would apply witchhazel to the affected areas of my scalp with a q tip. I did this because I feel that it kills bacteria and helps with inflammation and infection.

After applying the witchazel, I would put a mixture of TEA TREE OIL and jojoba or olive oil to my scalp. I would put about 30 drops of tea tree oil in 2 oz of carrier oil. A few drops of rosemary is also good to add to this, but the real help is the tea tree oil.

I would apply this LIGHTLY to my scalp.

Also, once every 3 days or so, I would skip the oil mix and put on the medicine that is prescribed to me for my eczema (Elecon)

It took a few months, but with DAILY care my hair started coming back. First a little fuzz, but with repeated treatment, it was growing in strong!

I did NOT relax until I had about 3 inches of solid, healthy growth. I would braid and clip down the natural hair (it was hidden under my relaxed hair)

Hopefully you can take something from this!

Thank you for your suggestions! Your hair has rebounded very nicely. :yep:

xxBlackRosexx

Will you consider going natural??

Its not like its breaking right at the roots, so i reckon its the relaxer!

It must be weakening the hair in that area!

Irresistible

Yes. :yep:

And that's something that's also on that's also in the back of my mind. I also have been thinking about how if differences in texture are part of the issue, as long as I'm relaxing, I'll face an up hill battle with this problem.

Thats exactly what it was for me, my nape and all behind my ears (didnt find this out till I was fully natural) is a looser curl pattern then the rest of my hair, the crown is courser and tighter and thicker, the looser part couldnt tolerate the strong relaxer because of the type it was, and the courser hair was more drier and weaker and fragile , so neither worked with a relaxer , my crown was always shorter and breaking and hard to grow, until I went natural and it was always sore there and had weird sensations

MD_Lady

Will you consider going natural??

Its not like its breaking right at the roots, so i reckon its the relaxer!

It must be weakening the hair in that area!
I think about it all the time especially since, if it's breaking because of the relaxer, there's not going to be any way around this as long as I keep relaxing. :sad:

I think about it all the time especially since, if it's breaking because of the relaxer, there's not going to be any way around this as long as I keep relaxing. :sad:

are you willing to try a different moisturizer in that area? ors olive oil makes my hair dry, brittle, greasy and stiff.

xxBlackRosexx

:happydance::happydance:so you have your answer...go natural...welcome to the club...there are so many products out there now to keep the hair straight or slick.

I think you should go for it..

MD_Lady

are you willing to try a different moisturizer in that area? ors olive oil makes my hair dry, brittle, greasy and stiff.
Absolutely and I'd love to hear your suggestions. :yep: Right now (since I just got my hair done and need a lighter moisturizer), I've been using Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer. I like how it moisturizes my hair without making it too oily.

MD_Lady

:happydance::happydance:so you have your answer...go natural...welcome to the club...there are so many products out there now to keep the hair straight or slick.

I think you should go for it..
Believe me, I've been closer to going natural in the last several months than I have since I got a chemical 20 years ago (and I haven't even hit 30 yet :eek:) put in my hair.