HELP! Im losing chunks of my hair when I shower

malik1

Hello Im new here and need advice to save my hair asap.

Im a 22 year old dominican male. Everytime I shower I lose so much hair I can see it in my hands and my hair changes everytime.

I recently bought this product and have used it 3 times.

http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Plac...EKMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300247795&sr=8-1

but I think I may have been too late and I dont know if its good.

My hair pics are below:

please help me save my hair :(

edit: dont know how to make pics smaller :sad:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hi and welcome!!

I am not familiar with the product you are using, so I can't offer an opinion on it. But did you start using the product BECAUSE you were losing hair? Or do you think you are losing hair because of the product?

virtuenow

So did that Placenta product cause your breakage or are you using it to save your hair? It looks like it is strong in protein--I don't know if you have a protein overload or somehting. I need to know more. Did you recently change anything in your hair care regimen; do you have a hair care regimen? If so, what is it? This info may help us to help you better.

malik1

I am using it to save my hair.

Heres a pic of my hair about 2 - 3 months ago

I do not use a hair care regiment. I usually shampoo it 2 times a week with no conditioner because i liked my curly hair and didnt want it straight and i was afraid of this happening.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
It looks like you are suffering from male pattern balndess.

Does your Mother's father have a head full of hair if not ask him when he started going bald.

Also it looks like you lost some weight. Have you started a drastic diet recently, if so this also could have caused your hair to come out drastically.

It is now time to go to the Dr. to check your blood and dermatologist.

Good luck

Last edited:

malik1

It looks like you are suffering from male pattern balndess.

Does your Mother's father have a head full of hair if not ask him when he started going bald.

Also it looks like you lost some weight. Have you started a drastic diet recently, if so this also could have caused your hair to come out drastically.

It is now time to go to the Dr. to check your blood and dermatologist.

Good luck
well i lost weight about 3 years ago on a no carb diet and i been on it for that time. no one in my family is bald though.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
well i lost weight about 3 years ago on a no carb diet and i been on it for that time. no one in my family is bald though.

Ok then it is time to head to the Dr like I suggested and have them check you out.

I still stand on it looks like male pattern baldness. Sometimes the pattern is not as evident in generations right before us.

My brother started going bald the same as you in his 20's but my 2 other brothers have no balding. My mothers father had a full head of hair til death so the balding must have been on a grandfather on my mothers side even further back.

Ask your mom for history. Not your father because it comes from the moms side.

Your fall out is seen more because you have alot of hair.

Nonie

@malik1, I don't know what may be causing your hair loss but my advice would be to visit a doctor and get a full physical exam. Your doc may do some blood work and even a biopsy of your scalp to see what might be going on. Some illnesses can cause hairloss too--like an autoimmune diseases. As @Myjourney2009 stated, balding can be inherited so if it runs in the family that might explain why it's happening .

This website might shed some light: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/men/general/081.html

There is a thread in this forum on how people have overcome alopecia that might provide some useful information. This site too has some good info, but before you try any of the suggestions, I urge you to have your doctor check you out. It could be something simple as your diet or some other condition that needs to be remedied. Once you know the reason for this, then we might be able to help you. I suspect allergies could cause hair loss and some do develop later in life.

Take heart, many of us have overcome alopecia or found ways to control it.

Last edited:

virtuenow

I was thinking male pattern baldness as well--they always report losing hair like that in the shower. It may be stress, have you considered that getting your stress levels down (if they are up)? You said you don't use conditioners, but I think hair conditioner helps your curl more than anything-- giving you more of a defined/full looking curl.

it sounds like the advice about a doctors visit may be in order since you've had such rapid hair loss.

Last edited:

malik1

@malik1, I don't know what may be causing your hair loss but my advice would be to visit a doctor and get a full physical exam. Your doc may do some blood work and even a biopsy of your scalp to see what might be going on. Some illnesses can cause hairloss too--like an autoimmune diseases. As @Myjourney2009 stated, balding can be inherited so if it runs in the family that might explain why it's happening .

This website might shed some light: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/men/general/081.html

There is a thread in this forum on how people have overcome alopecia that might provide some useful information. This site too has some good info, but before you try any of the suggestions, I urge you to have your doctor check you out. It could be something simple as your diet or some other condition that needs to be remedied. Once you know the reason for this, then we might be able to help you. I suspect allergies could cause hair loss and some do develop later in life.

Take heart, many of us have overcome alopecia or found ways to control it.

i checked the first link and first thing i see is thyroid. I happen to know 4 generations of women on my fathers side have it.

my great grandmother, my grandmother, my aunt and her daughter :sad:

should i just go to a general doctor and ask about this or is there a special one?

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Start with your main dr and tell him what is happening along with your family history that you wrote.
The Dr will then be able to guide your from there.

Nonie

Start with your main dr and tell him what is happening along with your family history that you wrote.
The Dr will then be able to guide your from there.

malik1, I agree with Myjourney2009's suggestion. Your main doctor will probably be able to give you answers and if not, he'll know who to refer you to.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

miss stress

while you are waiting to go to the doc, try some deep conditioning treatments and scalp massages with an oil mix. I hope everything works out

princessdi

Your regular doctor should be able to determine the cause internally, if there is one but I would also see a dermatologist. They can tell you more if there is anything wrong with your scalp (alopecia or other skin disease).