HELP! Just got a sew-in, seeing white bulbs. Advice please!!!

ajoyfuljoy

Please give me advice asap yall. It's my b-day this week and I got a sew in on Saturday (been thinking about it for months). I bought 100% Saga Gold Remy Yacky hair which costs $160 including shipping and the sew in cost $100 - now I'm feeling it is all money down the drain.

I noticed that the braids were a bit tight but thought they would loosen up. THe hair looks horrible after only a couple of days so I cowashed and shampooed the hair to restyle it.

I'm lifting up the tracks and looking at my hairline and I see white bulbs! :wallbash: The more I rub the more I see. Now I am rubbing into the hair and I see more. I saw maybe a dozen total but I am freaking out.

Should I take it out? What should I do? i have to make a decision quickly b/c I have to go to bed for work. Also, I don't want to be looking tore up for my b-day so I have to do something soon.

I am so upset. this is 260 down the drain. I feel like a sucker. help please :sad:

Oh, and may I add that I haven't had any weave installed as "braids" since I was 12 for this very reason. Feels like deja-vu all over again :nono:

UPDATE:

OK, after I washed the hair and airdryed it, I'm starting to see why a lot of people like it. It looks really, really natural. I could imagine my flat ironed hair (if relaxed at this length of the weave which is 14 inches) looking like this. I just think since this isn't real afro hair, it gets greasy/flat easy. So I'll probably have to wash/lightly condish the weave only maybe twice or even three times a week. IDK. Still figuring it out.

The braids around the edges are still tight. Next time I get a sew in I will probably tell them to leave the edges out and braid loosely. I think I may loose some hair around the edges. But I really want to wait it out b/c I wanted to wear sew ins as a grow out style. I would like to see what the results of an 8 week wearing will be and see if it will be a sustainable long term hairstyle for me.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I hate to say this but I would take it off STAT because if you are seeing white bulbs that means your hair is going to be ripped out from the roots. $260 is alot of money, but it's going to take more than $260 to fix your hair if you don't remove the sew in.

So sorry this happened to you!!!! But thank God you noticed.

Skiggle

Maybe you
shouldn't irritate/rub
your hairline..

*Since I have braids
now I am very carefully
of not rubbing my hairline...
I use essential oils and megatek
to decrease shedding*
Hope I helped..

tailormade84

girl, my heart goes out to you!!! :bighug: (my birthday is this week too!)

but you are right, those white bumps are not a good sign (in the past, they meant that i braided my hair waaaaayyy too tight and the hair has been pulled up from the root:nono: )

My advice: Maybe you should be VERY gentle with your hair until the braids finally loosen up a bit - i don't think there is any reason that you should take the hair down. Just wait a while to wash and manipulate your hair (maybe a week or 10 days). I would also suggest that you be diligent with daily moisturizing (with a spray).

all the best to you my dear and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :grin:

ajoyfuljoy

girl, my heart goes out to you!!! :bighug: (my birthday is this week too!)

but you are right, those white bumps are not a good sign (in the past, they meant that i braided my hair waaaaayyy too tight and the hair has been pulled up from the root:nono: )

My advice: Maybe you should be VERY gentle with your hair until the braids finally loosen up a bit - i don't think there is any reason that you should take the hair down. Just wait a while to wash and manipulate your hair (maybe a week or 10 days). I would also suggest that you be diligent with daily moisturizing (with a spray).

all the best to you my dear and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :grin:

I guess what you are saying makes sense. I didn't see the white bulbs until I cowashed (patted condish into my scalp through the weaves and braids and then rinsed). My scalp just loves water and I was trying to give it what it wants. I don't know.

tight braids + manipulation = hair coming out from scalp

I guess it's just not one or the other. This is sounding like the most logical choice to me so far.

Moniquenuss

Aww I am soo sorry this happened to you! But Im gonna vote for take them out! My last sew in was a few months ago and I had the same problem in the front, about 2 weeks later the hair in that section was completely ripped out!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I thought that maybe if I left it alone it would all be fine but all it did was get worst! I ended up leaving the weave in for 6 weeks because I figured that the wost had already happened :lachen:. Trust me I know you dont want to waste all that money but you will be spending a lot more in the long run trying to grow that section back! Luckily for me I have a thick hair line and when I pull my hair back no one can tell!

TCatt86

Take it out. And maybe get a press and then get a half wig. Since you bought a good brand of hair you can reuse it as long as she didn't cut the tracks.

ETA: Oh wait I just read the bolded in red. Well I'm sorry the hair isn't reusable.

ajoyfuljoy

Take it out. And maybe get a press and then get a half wig. Since you bought a good brand of hair you can reuse it as long as she didn't cut the tracks.

ETA: Oh wait I just read the bolded in red. Well I'm sorry the hair isn't reusable.

It's OK, it's just not worth the money IMO. This "do" does not look like it was freshly done. After half a week the hair looks tired like it's really old. I am NOT pleased! And it's really thin even though she used only two packs.

This whole experience has made me all the more appreciative of my own hair. I want it back sniff sniff!

This is day 5 and it's still tight in places. I do not remember braids being this way.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

I would say take it out but I understand you spent some money on it so the decision is really up to you...

Good luck :)

glamazon386

Go back to the stylist and ask them to fix it. If they won't, take it out. Usually it'll loosen up some after you wash it but you said it didn't so I'd take it down.

ETA: Why isn't the hair reusable? I would just wash and deep condition it. Then if you flat iron it it'll look like new again. You just have to use good products on it. It always looks different after the first wash because that silicone coating comes off.

Last edited:

Bosslady1

Hopefully within the next week or so, the braids loosen up. Next time, (like you said) tell the stylist not to braid your edges so tight.

Ediese

This happened to me with my first 'full head no hair left out' sewin. I lost A LOT of hair along my hairline. It was my fault though because I knew better than to have her braid it that tight. I'd been wearing weaves for years by then.

My advice to you since I totally understand not wanting to waste all of that money, be very gentle with your hair. It will start loosening up in a few days. The bulbs that you see are already from strands that were pulled out. You can't do anything about that now, so just keep being gentle with it from here on out. I also saw that you mentioned that you'll be washing 3x a week. Is it straight hair? Why are you washing that often? I wouldn't recommend washing that often if you have a straight weave, esp. if you're planning to wear your weave for 2 months.

Because of the type of hair you bought, I wouldn't suggest using a lot of products in it. For that same price, next time you might want to invest in a slightly better quality of hair (check out Lanikshair.com or Halleyscurls.com). HTH

Last edited: