Help! Loss of elasticity plus breakage!

sleepflower

I tried searching for this but nothing I have found matches what is wrong with my hair. :(

My hair feels great when it is wet, with some loss of elasticity--when you pull at a curl it does not snap back. It also looks a bit frizzy when it's wet, but doesn't feel spongy or mushy.

It's much worse when it's dry. It breaks off like *that* and when you pull at it, it does not snap back at all, it just hangs there and looks ugly. It feels soft and a little dry, but not like a desert. It's the fact that the hair has no elasticity that worries me.

I am trying to think about what has changed, and what I come up with is:
-I moved to where water is a little harder, both in terms of hard vs. soft water and in the fact that the water pressure is so much greater.
-I lost my sleeping cap in the move, and have yet to find it (can't really afford a new on right now).

I have natural 4 a/b hair and do not use heat. I use a shampoo with sulfates (I have not found a sulfate-free shampoo that works as well) but I try to avoid silicones, mineral oil, etc. I tried using Ion's Reconstructor Treatment which used to make my curls absolutely perfect but it pretty much did nothing. :( I am trying to up the amount of protein I eat, too.

Can anyone diagnose me? What should I do? What have I done wrong (besides lose my sleeping cap)? Please help! My hair used to be so beautiful. :(

bimtheduck

I have relaxed hair and would guess more moisture. Sistaslick has some articles about breakage that might help you out. Bumping for more responses for you!

Jazala

Sounds like its drying out. How often do you DC with moisturizing conditioner? How do you wear your hair normally and at night?

Dommo

You need more moisture. I like the PK elasticizer or elasticizer extreme if u have thick hair, but its a bit on the pricey side (45).

Also, if you moved to a hard water area you should use a chelating shampoo. Best thing I could have done since I live in a part of NY with very hard water.

Duchesse

You should see if you can get a cheap 1-2$ satin doorag for sleeping. Days when I don't have my hair covered or my scarf comes off at night, my hair is DRYYYYY in the morning.

Vintageglam

You need more moisture. I like the PK elasticizer or elasticizer extreme if u have thick hair, but its a bit on the pricey side (45).

Also, if you moved to a hard water area you should use a chelating shampoo. Best thing I could have done since I live in a part of NY with very hard water.

you can get little trial sized tubes of this stuff also and yes its great exactly for this purpose.

OP do you have a lot of protein in your diet?

LovingLady

Collagen protein helps to increase the elasticity in hair. Aubrey Organics has a conditioner called GBP (Glycogen Balancing Protein) which contains collagen protein.

You can also look at this thread that talks about the same problem you are having. Enjoy.

ms.blue

I think you need to remove the mineral deposits in your hair if you have hard water buy using a shampoo for that like ors aloe shampoo. Then dc with a mix of light protein and moisturizing conditioners to see if that will improve your hair elasticity.

sleepflower

Thanks for the help, guys.

I read that thread and also Sista Slick's articles before I made this thread but they didn't match what I think is going on with my hair, but I'm still pretty new, or at least I have never dealt with this. :(