HELP.... MAJOR HAIR LOSS

Frustrated

Ladies I have been on the fence about transitioning, but I've been trying. I decided not to get my Dec. relaxer so I have not had one since 8/23.
Now for the past 2wks I have been losing hair like crazy :wallbash:, my ends are not split so that leads me to believing I'm having hair loss from not relaxing. I have had alot of progress so I'm thinking of relaxing today. Please help any input would be greatly appreciated :worship2:!

lana

Your hair sounds like it's shedding, is there a white bulb at the end of the strands? If not, then it could be breakage. You could try washing your hair with a moisturizing poo and conditioner.

If you decide to relax, it's best to know what state your hair is in first...healthy or damaged. That way you'll know how to treat your tresses.

I know some other ladies will chime in with answers and support. Best wishes!

MsCounsel

I stretched from August until December. I started noticing that a lot of my hair was breaking. In particular, my crown is the weakest point and also my signal point for something being wrong with my hair. The way I was able to tell I NEEDED to relax is that the hair broke at the demarcation line - between the relaxed hair and the new growth. Unfortunately, I was stubborn and continued to try to stretch and suffered a lot of hair loss (mostly in my crown). I finally relaxed about two weeks ago and I'm thrilled. I'll need to start over with my crown area but it will be okay cause it will grow back. LESSON LEARNED: I can not stretch past 8 weeks. It simply doesn't work for me.

So bottom line: check to see where it's breaking if its between the relaxed hair and the new growth, you've got friction breakage. Very frustrating. :wallbash:

Aggie

Hi Frustrated,

Firstly, decide whether or not you really want to transition. Once you've decided to transition, you should not relax. I would clarify my hair and do a medium to hardcore protein treatment followed by some deep conditioning. I would also resort to some protective styling like cornrows, braids, wigs, etc - whichever you're more comfortable with until the relaxed hair grows out and start to trim it off progressively.

If you do not want to transition, it's best to go ahead and relax because if your hair was anything like mine when I was stretching my relaxer, it was excessively breaking at the point of demarcation and the ONLY thing that stopped it was a relaxer. The protein treatments didn't work and neither did the deep conditioning. Now my hair loves me again...YAY!!!:yep:

Frustrated

I stretched from August until December. I started noticing that a lot of my hair was breaking. In particular, my crown is the weakest point and also my signal point for something being wrong with my hair. The way I was able to tell I NEEDED to relax is that the hair broke at the demarcation line - between the relaxed hair and the new growth. Unfortunately, I was stubborn and continued to try to stretch and suffered a lot of hair loss (mostly in my crown). I finally relaxed about two weeks ago and I'm thrilled. I'll need to start over with my crown area but it will be okay cause it will grow back. LESSON LEARNED: I can not stretch past 8 weeks. It simply doesn't work for me.

So bottom line: check to see where it's breaking if its between the relaxed hair and the new growth, you've got friction breakage. Very frustrating. :wallbash:

That is exactly what is happening to me. My weakest point is my nape and hairline areas. The hair in my nape area is about 3 inches long which is the amount of growth that I have. I'm still going to baby my hair but I will be getting a relaxer TODAY!

crazydaze911

Hi Frustrated,

Firstly, decide whether or not you really want to transition. Once you've decided to transition, you should not relax. I would clarify my hair and do a medium to hardcore protein treatment followed by some deep conditioning. I would also resort to some protective styling like cornrows, braids, wigs, etc - whichever you're more comfortable with until the relaxed hair grows out and start to trim it off progressively.

I agree. Also, if your REALLY undecided, i would texlax this touch up - put a relaxer in but leave it in for half the time - should help with the demarcation by blending the two textures a bit more and lessening the breakage. Then next touch up time, you can leave it in for 1/4 the time or dont do it at all, depending on how your hair is holding up.

MsCounsel

DO NOT FORGET TO PREPARE YOUR HAIR FOR YOUR RELAXER OR YOU MAY HAVE MORE TROUBLE. I would apply conditioner/oil mix or use the one that comes with the relaxer if it has a hair-prep lotion. Treat your hair very gently over the next few weeks. I just started using the Vatika Oil on my hair to help breakage. I'm really upset that I need to baby baby the damaged section cause I want to wear it out all the time :gorgeous: but I need to go the low-mani route :look:.

I wish you the best of luck! It will be okay.

Frustrated

I just finished relaxing with the olive oil lye relaxer I applied conditioner and oil to my hair before I relaxed. I have the replenishing conditioner on right now, and I will be under the hair dryer for 45 mins. For the last 2wks my hair was coming out just with me finger combing it to pull it up in my bun, I already see a difference just by putting my conditioner in.

I really wanted to transition, but I am no at the point were I am willing to BC at this time. I may try again. As usual thanks everyone for you input. :grin: