Help me choose between two hair colors...brown or black

Aquamarine

Hi there!
My twa is growing pretty well. It's only been about a month and one week and I can almost make some little coils!:clap: ......and I started from a near bald cut.

I'd like some opinions on hair colors. I have a few silver hairs up front and sprinkled on the top right. Not ready to embrace them yet. Rinses wash out too fast.

I have a box of Clairol Natural Instincts Midnight (neutral black). I'm CONSIDERING a dark cocoa brown color by Clairol Textures and Tones.

pros for the black color: Healthy and rich looking and very striking. It's also close to my natural off black color.

cons for the black color: I'm pretty much stuck with it. Even though it's semi-permanent, this brand lasts forever.

pros for the brown color: It's different. It might not look as 'severe' as the black color.

cons for the brown color: It might look too 'off' from my eyebrow color. It might not go with my skin color. It might dry my hair out because it has both peroxide and amonia.

Just looking for opinions before I color tonight. I'll post pics after I'm done:)

Last edited:
I know I'm all late but I had this same problem a few weeks ago

I loooveeee me some jet black hair, always have but I wanted to go less severe with a brown color

I definitely went back & forth with it until I was like "F" it and I just dyed the top of my head Light brown which made the back of my head look alot darker

Its so cute when I do it in twists or a ponytail, I like the way the colors change, the only problem that I have is....I keep seeing Other colors that I'd like to try, and the reverse probably would have come off better with the light brown in the back & throw some black on the top ;)

Sounds a bit unorthodox but I was looking to do something different, I had been chemical free for close to 5 years....a CHANGE was-a coming! :grin:

I think black.

Or, you could do the brown and if you don't like it, then do the black. Because, as you say, you wouldn't be able to get rid of the black.

Ok, thanx for the feedback! I went ahead and colored my hair a 'dark brown' permanent from Clairol Textures and Tones. It's very dark and all of the gray is covered. It looks like a natural black/dark color until you're right on top of it...then you can see a hint of dark brown. So it's the best of both worlds for now. It doesn't look so light as to where I'd have to lighten my eyebrows either so that's a plus.

My next step will be to look into bronze/blondish/or bronze highlights in the future. I think that highlights really spice up a natural twistout. I think that I'll achieve that by taking a few twists and foiling them with the lighter color. The base color will stay the dark brown for now because I'm still not working with much hair. As my hair grows, I'll just try to highlight the areas/twists where the gray is concentrated.

:)

ps...that conditioner that comes with the CTT kit is AWESOME! I wish it were sold in a larger bottle lol.

Last edited:
Back