Help--my 11 week post hair is unmanageable

levette

I am at a breaking point to go ahead and relax. I was trying to make it to the first of August or maybe even mid July. I have been wearing braidouts or buns and co-washing 1xa week. My hair feels dry, my newgrowth is hard, and my hair is shedding. What are your suggestions. Should I just go ahead and relax next week.

GulfCoastChica

My opinion may be unpopular but I just can't stretch too long. Doesn't work for me at all. Once I get past 10 weeks it is a wrap. If I try to go too long my hair begins breaking and shedding like crazy.

I say if you know you want to be relaxed (not transitioning) then go ahead and relax before you loose too much more hair.

janeemat

After my set back from stretching 6 months, I'm no longer one for long stretches. My motto now is to listen to my hair to avoid damaged thin hair. I normally stretch 12 wks, but if my hair rebels before then, it will be relaxed. I will be 11 wks post Sat and will be relaxing since my 12wks fall on 4th of July weekend. So far, I have not had any problems this stretch. Give yourself a good protein treatment to prepare the hair for relaxing and them wait 3 days to relax.

ScorpioLove

i would put a really moisturizing dc on dry hair, put a plastic cap over it and let it set for at least an hour, then detangle the hair very gently with the dc still in my hair. Section off in 4 big plaits so it dont tangle again then rinse. have you kept up with your protein as well?

*im about 7 months post

Your Cheeziness

Your newgrowth needs special attention at this point to make sure it gets moisture and whatnot. Are you just trying to reach a calendar goal of stretching? If so, I would just relax. Next time you can try for 13 weeks, etc. The whole point of stretching (to me) is to have enough new growth to relax safely, not to risk damage just to meet a calendar goal.

Windsy

If you need to relax, just do it.

What you have to remember when stretching is that you need to maintain 2 different types of hair which would require extra attention.

TLC1020

Less manipulation as possible..

I'm 12 weeks post and it was a breeze considering my hair is not quite shoulder length yet. I wear a bun during my stretch, shampoo and deep condition every other week. Not sure how long I will stretch this time, maybe 4 months. I recently stretched 8 months and before that 5 months but I was in braids.

i feel your pain, i am going to be ending my 12 week stretch around July 4th. b Im getting tempted to just go ahead and do another relaxer , i have about an inch of 4b new growt!. Right now i style my hair at night. I co wash , moisturize and seal , then do a high ballerina type bun, then i apply aloe gel on the edges and tie my hair up for the night, this allow me to get out door on time with a neat hairstyle. If i want to do something a little more detailed i do twist outs or box braids that can last a few weeks. I think the key to stretching is to keep your hair new growth moisturized and to be extra careful when detangleing so that your not ripping your hair out due to impatience. I know some people like to flat iron weekly but i totally leave the flat iron alone during my stretch. I tried it before and it caused my hair to break. The less stress you put on your hair the more progress you will see and the end of your stretch. It also better not put alot of different crap in your hair, i just argan oil and water to seal , aloe gel for the edges, and sometime some infusium leave in when needed.

Last edited:

bebezazueta

@ 11 weeks post I started to shed more than usual so I did black tea rinses, no shampoo, and cowashed with suave tropical coconut for my midweek routine and overnight DCs with ORS replenishing conditioner with a shower cap on for the greenhouse effect for my weekend routine.

I'm now 15 weeks into an 18 week stretch and have it in control now. I've learned that shampoo dries out my new growth. I also use scurl to moisturize my new growth. I rollerset far into my stretch using roux233 for strength, mane n tail detangling leave in for moisture and Chi silk infusion knockoff for shine and softness and to help preserve my ends. I pincurl my hair and fingercomb. Going very well now.

HTH!

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
Have you tried washing more? I find that if I don't wash enough during a stretch, my hair becomes dry and my new growth tangles. I'm 17 weeks into an 18 week stretch and I wash my hair 3-4x per week, doing one DC and one hot oil treatment per week (I use Hot 6 Oil or coconut oil for HOTs). I do them under plastic caps for at least an hour and my hair is always so soft and I can easily comb through my new growth.

I think you should try washing more (try DCing 1x per week with heat/a plastic cap and cowashing 2x per week) and see how your hair reacts. If it doesn't help, then you should relax.

levette

I think I will co-wash again tonight to see if it will help my hair. I was trying to hold off until friday night as I have a wedding to go to on Saturday.

Shirilyn4652

Good luck with your stretch, I feel your pain, I am 9 weeks post and my newgrowth is definately rearing its head. I have been using the coconut oil for a hotoil on dry hair and porosity control shampoo and conditioner. It stretched my newgrowth, I guess before I cowash this week I will use coconut oil before I do, because the newgrowth can get unmanageable goodluck!!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I attempted the long stretch (bandwagonish idea) and it didn't work out for me. Now, I don't even consider going beyond 10-12 weeks. Do what works and make sense for you. Stetching isn't for everyone.