Help - My Hair Looks Like A Birds Nest!

Islandgurrl

My hair right now looks like a birds nest... seriously it does. I have not posted on here in years and I'm trying to get back into taking better care of my hair. So about my bird nest :drunk:, my last perm was Feb. 27, 2020 so it's been a minute. My hair is maybe an inch or two above bra strap length but very thin. I've never had thick hair but it got fairly thin when I took the depo birth control shot years ago. When I was really on the forum my hair was doing pretty ok and I fell off. My hair is very unhealthy and I certainly know it. I'm never been one to be into my hair. I prefer to put it in a pony tail and go :badgirl:. I need to do better. So now I'm back and wish to nurse my hair back to good health. What do you guys suggest to get /do to get me back on my healthy hair journey?

naturalpride

Welcome Back :bighug:
I think cutting off the thin ends would be first and starting a consistent hair regimen next. What type of relaxer are you using Lye/No Lye and brand? Moisturizing and sealing at least 5 days a week. Washing weekly or biweekly and deep conditioning with heat. Check your hair's porosity to know if protein or moisture conditioner needed. Protect the ends of your hair with buns or clipping your hair up. Sleep in a satin scarf or bonnet. I find that a lot of the old relaxed hair threads are very helpful and full of information that's not shared much anymore on caring for relaxed hair. Also tight hairstyles like weaves, braids, and wigs usually damage the hair long term because a lot of the time the hair can't be accessed for regular maintenance and can damage the hair follicles.

Islandgurrl

Thanks so much Natural Pride!! I'm going to be using ORS Olive Oil - No Lye. I feel like I've been out of the hair game for so long I need to be re-schooled. I need to go back and do some research on some of the things you mentioned as in what to use. The satin wrap is a given for me as I do not like the feeling of feeling my hair on my shoulders. I've never had a weave, braids or worn a wig. I'm tempted to try braids just to give my hair a break but it may not be a good idea. I definitely need to come up with a regimen that I will stick to for the rest of the year and see how it works for me. In the beginning of 2021 the Lord's willing, I'll revisit it. For now I want it to be pretty simple. Thanks a million for the advice, I'll do some research tomorrow on my day off!

naturalpride

Thanks so much Natural Pride!! I'm going to be using ORS Olive Oil - No Lye. I feel like I've been out of the hair game for so long I need to be re-schooled. I need to go back and do some research on some of the things you mentioned as in what to use. The satin wrap is a given for me as I do not like the feeling of feeling my hair on my shoulders. I've never had a weave, braids or worn a wig. I'm tempted to try braids just to give my hair a break but it may not be a good idea. I definitely need to come up with a regimen that I will stick to for the rest of the year and see how it works for me. In the beginning of 2021 the Lord's willing, I'll revisit it. For now I want it to be pretty simple. Thanks a million for the advice, I'll do some research tomorrow on my day off!

You're welcome:love4: Keep us posted:yep:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Just to put my 0.04 in, a lot of relaxed ladies use products geared toward natural hair. I use the same products when I’m natural and relaxed. And give yourself some grace. You’ll be back on the road to healthy hair in no time.