Help post thyroidectomy

caringangel

I had a thyroidectomy 3 days ago and the fear has set in about the possibility of hair loss with hypothyroidism. I have been researching all of the support sites and I found all kinds of tips to help you lose weight with hypothyroidism but absolutely nothing for hair loss. I am currently 2 in. From bra strap level and my hair health is such a big part of my life. if there is anyone with hypothyroidism or total thyroidectomy who has developed a routine to combat dry brittle hair please share your regime.

mg1979

I had my thyroidectomy 5 years ago. I think staying on medications and keeping TSH levels stable is the biggest thing. If that's not stable, anything else you do won't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

caringangel

Thanks. There are some people complaining about their TSH being normal and still experiencing breakage. That is my major concern.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Another vote for making sure you keep up with your synthroid/levothyroxine. Make sure your thyroid levels stay high enough (but not too high) to avoid signs of hypothyroidism for your hair and body

shunemite

Congrats on going through your thyroidectomy and coming out of it healthy. I hope you have a good support system around you. I have never had a thyroidectomy but have a little bit of medical knowledge and usually if you keep your synthroid supplements up and get your tsh levels checked regularly your hair should be fine.

Lita

Hi! I'm glad your surgery went well..PLEASE KEEP YOUR LEVELS CHECK...I had radiation (Thyroid)couple of years ago..I did cut a lot of my hair off/until my levels became normal..

*Take your meds,power walk/some kind of exercise 3xs a week,drink plenty water,moisturize,moisturize,moisturize your hair/protective style for a while..Keep Us Posted..

Happy Hair Growing!

choctaw

Take your thyroid hormone replacement meds and consider supplements that support thyroid, metabolism and hair health e.g. biotin, B vitamins.