Help! Single Strand Knots/matting On The Crown :(

Kitamita

Hello Ladies,

I am looking for some advice. Recently my hair has been getting single strand knots/matting on the crown.

I have very low porosity 3 A/B hair, probably 3C on the crown. Prior to this, my hair was severely dry and I had an itchy scalp. I did the Max Hydration method for the 7-day duration and it completely re-hydrated my hair, really brought it back to life.

My current regimen (last 8 months) consists mainly of Deva Curl Decadence products which really does a good job of moisturizing my hair. I CO Wash every other day - finger detangle in the shower, followed by Decadence conditioner. I add some sunflower oil to my ends and then put it up in a bun on either side of my head and go to bed. I cleanse with the build-up buster on the weekends ( to combat the product build up) and DC with melt into moisture (which my hair loves), deep sea repair maybe once a month (my hair is sensitive to protein).

Which brings me to my current dilemma; the last two times I washed/Co-washed my hair it was matted on the crown( which took forever to detangle and yes I lost some hair). Also, my scalp has consistently bothered me and been itchy, going back to even when I was relaxed, but this weekend my scalp was sore/itchy so I had my sister scratch my scalp and she mentioned it had large patches of dry flakes and was bleeding in some of the areas she scratched. I generally don't have a flaky scalp, so this was out of the ordinary and definitely never bleeding. I also feel that I have lost some of the volume to my hair, nothing substantial, but I feel like my bun is not as full as before. I do wear a bun daily at work (due to an uneven cut- so no wash and go for now).

So I broke down and did the MHM Sunday (I had shied away due to hearing that it can be hard on your hair strands). I did as follows: Baking soda, Melt into moisture- under heat cap, Decadence Leave in and sealed with diy flax gel/ shea butter but my hair really did respond well. The crown was hydrated, no knots...

Right now I am not sure what to do. I felt like I was treating my hair well but I am not sure what I need to change. It feels like either I keep my scalp happy and hair dry or my hair happy and scalp dry. And I have no idea what has prompted the matting.

Other brands I have used before Cantu, Jane Carter, Shea Moisture (hibiscus line) were ok but nothing like how my hair is with Deva Curl.

Sarabellam

I’m not sure what exactly is causing the problem but if your scalp is bleeding (without an obvious cause) you should see your normal doctor or a dermatologist for an urgent visit. You do not want the problem to lead to large amounts of scar tissue forming on your scalp because if the follicle scars hair cannot grow there.

It could be a fungal infection, allergic reaction, or even seborrheic dermatitis, among other things. A doctor will be able to tell you if your problem is concerning or not.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I see co-washing, but did you mention shampoo? I know build-up buster is more of a serum, right? You might need an actual shampoo, your scalp could be flaky due to build up.

Kitamita

I’m not sure what exactly is causing the problem but if your scalp is bleeding (without an obvious cause) you should see your normal doctor or a dermatologist for an urgent visit. You do not want the problem to lead to large amounts of scar tissue forming on your scalp because if the follicle scars hair cannot grow there.

It could be a fungal infection, allergic reaction, or even seborrheic dermatitis, among other things. A doctor will be able to tell you if your problem is concerning or not.

I have my annual check up next week so I will ask about it. Maybe get a referral to a dermatologist. Thanks

Kitamita

I see co-washing, but did you mention shampoo? I know build-up buster is more of a serum, right? You might need an actual shampoo, your scalp could be flaky due to build up.

What’s your washing frequency?

I was thinking of getting the deva curl low poo. I do notice some product build up and had hoped the build up buster would suffice (it is a micellar based cleanser designed to remove build up with out stripping). I only wash my hair with shampoo about every 6 / 8 weeks. Because it is so drying.

Kitamita

You mentioned MGM but I didn't see anything about clay. If you have clay try detoxing your scalp with it until you get some real shampoo. Just use clay and water and detox for 1 hr or 2.

I usually don't do the clay portion because it makes my hair hard and more weighed down but I could try it alone instead of with the added ingredients MHM mixes it with.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
Do you finger detangle exclusively? In regards to the matting at the crown, could it be that you are not getting all of the shed hairs out?

metro_qt

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
it sounds like you have a case of Seborrhea... basically eczema of the scalp.

What is seborrheic dermatitis?
Considered a chronic form of eczema, seborrheic dermatitis appears on the body where there are a lot of oil-producing (sebaceous) glands like the upper back, nose and scalp. The exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown, although genes and hormones play a role.

Common triggers for seborrheic dermatitis include:
  • Stress
  • Hormonal changes or illness
  • Harsh detergents, solvents, chemicals and soaps
  • Cold, dry weather
  • Medications such as psoralen, interferon and lithium

Seborrheic dermatitis treatment
Treatment for seborrheic dermatitis focuses on loosening scale, reducing inflammation and swelling, and curbing itch.

In mild cases, a topical antifungal cream or medicated shampoo (such as ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, coal tar, and zinc pyrithione) may be enough to control symptoms.

basically selsun blue or head and shoulders shampoo and then a quick prescription for the inflammation, and youll be back to normal

Last edited:

Kitamita

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
it sounds like you have a case of Seborrhea... basically eczema of the scalp.

What is seborrheic dermatitis?
Considered a chronic form of eczema, seborrheic dermatitis appears on the body where there is a lot of oil-producing (sebaceous) glands like the upper back, nose, and scalp. The exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown, although genes and hormones play a role.

Common triggers for seborrheic dermatitis include:
  • Stress
  • Hormonal changes or illness
  • Harsh detergents, solvents, chemicals, and soaps
  • Cold, dry weather
  • Medications such as psoralen, interferon, and lithium

Seborrheic dermatitis treatment
Treatment for seborrheic dermatitis focuses on loosening scale, reducing inflammation and swelling, and curbing itch.

In mild cases, a topical antifungal cream or medicated shampoo (such as ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, coal tar, and zinc pyrithione) may be enough to control symptoms.

basically, selsun blue or head and shoulders shampoo and then a quick prescription for the inflammation, and you'll be back to normal

Thank you for sharing. I know my mother had eczema as a child and my aunt still suffers from it. So that is something that I can bring up with my doctor next week. I definitely want to try the Packers Pine soap that was suggested. Also, I have been adjusting to my hormones rebalancing after removing a cyst from my ovary last year.
So a few contributing factors that may have had the impact that I'm seeing now.

It's just so frustrating to have this kinda setback. Especially since both, my sisters have waist/hip length hair but I know this hair journey is a marathon, not a race.

Last edited:

Kitamita

Do you finger detangle exclusively? In regards to the matting at the crown, could it be that you are not getting all of the shed hairs out?

No, I do use a wide tooth comb when I "wash" my hair on the weekend. But that does make sense. I hope some of the hair I see is just shed hair.

Kitamita

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to give an update. I have been listening to my hair and I have followed the advice given to me and am happy to say my hair is very much improved.

I did make a diy Glovers Mange pine tar/sulfur oil which has helped my scalp so much. As well as washing my hair once a week to remove any buildup from co-washing. I have done Max Hydration twice since my last post. My hair really responds to it and has bounced back moisture wise. I still have a fair bit of shedding and single strand knots on my ends but I feel I am headed in the right direction.

Once again I wanted to say than you to everyone who responded.