HELP? What could I be doing wrong? Getting breakage :-(

naturalmanenyc

I'm having some breakage (lots of short hairs and only a few with white bulbs) and I'm not sure why? We are just getting in and when I went to take down my hair and put on my bonnet I noticed breakage:perplexed

I'm 8 weeks post texlax (last stretch was 18+ weeks) and thought I finally had a solid regimen....but now I'm getting breakage when I comb the length of my hair? Right now it's under the bonnet all smoothed back (think of making a ponytail) but with no pins/clips/holders.

I will admit that I have manipulated my hair at least 15 times over the last 2 days in trying to get my new protective updo together. http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/a-new-protective-updo/

Could the manipulation be the reason? I would think no since it's such a stressfree style with very little combing other than to smooth the top portion & to get the bangs together.:ohwell:

For the last couple of washes (2/12/08 and 2/19/08) I have used:

CON shampoo (green label diluted with water) - 1 wash

ORS Replenishing conditioner (always with heat 15 - 30 minutes), last rinse with cool water

Shea Moisture shea butter leave-in on soaking wet hair

rollerset using spary bottle of water & shea moisture leave-in

dry completely & coconut oil to seal

Daily moisturizing with Shea Moisture shea butter leave-in (about a dime sized amount emulsified in my hands) & seal with coconut oil

I know that ORS is a light protein. I have used ORS for weeks with no problems but could it be that I have used too much protein? Should I be following the ORS dc with my Suave Humectant? I have a huge 32 oz bottle of Suave Humectant that I used twice and it did nothing for my hair. I added a few ounces of castor oil to it instead of tossing it out. I have not used it again since adding the castor oil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dposh167

I don't think ur hair is protein overload. I do think ur moisture level maybe off. I used to use sheamoisture leave-in as my main moisturizer, but i stopped using it b/c it wasn't strong enuff to really moisturize my hair. I'm 4a/b relaxed by the way. try finding a stronger moisturizer and see if that helps at all. cuz i don't really see anything wrong with the combination of products ur using on wash day

FlawedBeauty

think maybe the baggying could be causing it? i tried that once and my hair hated it. maybe you can just try putting your hair in a loose braid and clipping it up, i found that had worked well for me.

naturalmanenyc

Thanks ladies. It really could have been the baggie. That is the only thing that I have done differently. Shea Moisture has been working for me but maybe I have not found my staple moisturizer yet?

onyxcabelo

I have to say, and I know I've said it many places here already, but I really think clarifying can help a lot. Perhaps this is something you are already doing, in which case, I'm at a loss. But if you haven't clarified in a while - it really can help. I find that when I start to see those short hairs, it's usually an indication that I've got build up on my hair that is blocking out moisture. For me, heavier oils/butters and/or too many cones get me every time. At first they work great but within a few days, here come those short hairs again. What I have found is that if I clarify, I can get to start with a clean slate so to speak, and my hair really responds nicely. There are times when I think a certain product that I love just isn't working for me any more - I clarify and bam, all the things I liked about that product in the first place start working again. Anyway, this is just my experience:Rose:.

tt8

I was thinking the same thing because it seems like you have been consistent with your regi and care. But I don't think the products are as effective as before because you have build-up. I chelate atleast once a week to remove minerals from my hard water and this made all the difference in the world. I am back to my normal shed rate.HTH
I have to say, and I know I've said it many places here already, but I really think clarifying can help a lot. Perhaps this is something you are already doing, in which case, I'm at a loss. But if you haven't clarified in a while - it really can help. I find that when I start to see those short hairs, it's usually an indication that I've got build up on my hair that is blocking out moisture. For me, heavier oils/butters and/or too many cones get me every time. At first they work great but within a few days, here come those short hairs again. What I have found is that if I clarify, I can get to start with a clean slate so to speak, and my hair really responds nicely. There are times when I think a certain product that I love just isn't working for me any more - I clarify and bam, all the things I liked about that product in the first place start working again. Anyway, this is just my experience:Rose:.

tt8

ps... I tried to look at your regimen a while back cause I was fascinated by your growth. So, what do you think contributed to all your growth thus far? thanks

naturalmanenyc

My hair is still acting a bit crazy.

I finally used a clarifying shampoo from Curl Friends called Purity that I've had for ages. I did a dc (on dry dirty hair though), used Purify & then followed with more conditioner & rinsed in cool water. I roller set again with my leave-in (Shea Moisture). I topped that with coconut oil w/ a splash of castor oil & pinned up my hair in a bun. The breakage has not stopped but it's not as bad as yesterday. I will wait a few days & wash again to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

naturalmanenyc

ps... I tried to look at your regimen a while back cause I was fascinated by your growth. So, what do you think contributed to all your growth thus far? thanks

I think the fact that I use no direct heat at all is helping me retain length. I rollerset (with heat since 1/21/08) but that is the only heat source I use.

I bought a FHI Platform SE just before Thanksgiving but I have only used it once in early December when I took down my last weave. I started using leave-in conditioners (had never used them before) and I started mositurizing my hair regularly (not always daily). I had not done those things prior to lurking on LHCF.

lnana04

My sisters hair is still breaking really bad. Everytime I wash it small broken hairs are in the comb, on my hand, on the towel...just all over the place.

I've tried clarifying, protein, and moisture so I don't know what's going on.

I hope you get your breakage under control and when you do, please let me know what helped to stop it.

Jetblackhair

I know the baggy method did not work for me. My hair did not like the moisture and started shedding. It took about a week though to get my hair back on track once I stopped.

Hopefully your hair will be back on track after your next wash.