Help With Diy Natural Hair Recipes For Small Business Idea For My Sister In Havana-natural Hair

danysedai

One of my sisters is visiting me in Canada until December. I’m trying to brainstorm ideas for her to have a little business in Cuba when she goes back as she was recently laid off. Her hair is natural, she has been natural since 2003 when she BC even without knowing what a big chop was, she was just tired of relaxing her hair and after a bad relaxer experience (many relaxers are homemade in Cuba) she decided to cut it off. I send her products from time to time, and friends who travel send her products too. Most products in Cuba are geared towards straighter hair, or hair with relaxer or keratin treatments. She says that more women are going natural but they lack products and also knowledge. There are no stores selling bulk natural products like oils or butters, government stores are very very expensive, and people pay through the nose for hair products.

I was looking at shampoo bar and conditioner bars and thinking that with an initial investment she can buy aloe vera gel, shea butter, coconut oil, some essential oils and learn how to make shampoo and conditioner bars,moisturizers and curling creams in small batches and fill out a niche that’s empty in Cuba, especially with little black girls. I was thinking bars as that would save her the containers cost, which would be almost impossible to get there.

For those who’ve used shampoo bars and conditioners, and those who have made the recipes, what are some good recipes she can use? Tips for helping the product not go bad?

Do you think it would be feasible to earn money doing this? ( I think so, as a bottle of Tresemme shampoo sells from $15 cuc -which is $15 usd-to $25 cuc)

Here are 2 photos of my little sis J (she’s forever my baby sister even though she is 36)

Attachments

• 40310614_440305593158030_2759454657330806784_n.jpg
    40310614_440305593158030_2759454657330806784_n.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 40359309_1930134283956527_3687102760735473664_n.jpg
    40359309_1930134283956527_3687102760735473664_n.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 42

sumertyme08

I think it’s a wonderful idea! I’d start with a shampoo bar, conditioner or leave in and a styler.

No help with actual recipes but these are a couple of my fav handmade products with simple ingredients:

Here is one of my favorite bar soaps, it’s extremely moisturizing and a trial sized bar lasted a few months with a biweekly wash

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/p/shampoo-bar-olive-babassu/

Here’s a flaxseed and marshmallow root gel that would be easy and fairly inexpensive to make. I’ve tried it a couple of times then started making my own.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/253481...MItOXZ5uuQ3QIVjoWzCh3LLgraEAQYASABEgJ_xvD_BwE

Good luck!

NicWhite

Tell her to stick to making shampoo bars, conditioner bars, growth oils. She can make pomades that do not include water, aloe Vera juice, etc. anything with water needs a preservative in it.

I think it’s a wonderful idea. Can she get sodium hydroxide in Cuba. She will need that to make the shampoo/soap bars. Start watching soap making videos on YouTube before she leaves. Shampoo bars that are really just soap used as shampoo.

I am going to get into soap making as a hobby. PM me if you need to explore further.