Help with Pressed/Post-Weave Removal Hair

LegallySpeaking

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have started following many of your great tips. Thanks!

For the past four weeks, I've been wearing my hair pressed/natural. Prior to that time, I'd worn a braided weave for almost nine (!) years. So obviously, this is a big adjustment (but I love being able to touch my real hair more than anyone would ever understand /images/graemlins/laugh.gif). At its longest point, my hair is about 14 inches, but it is a lot thinner and more fragile than it was before I started wearing a weave.

I would love to grow my hair longer, but am primarily concerned with mainting my existing length. I do not think I will be able to do this with a pressed style because thanks to this board, I know that moisture is very important. It's almost impossible to moisturize or Surge pressed hair. I prefer straight hair styles,so eventually, I will probably relax my hair (but will stretch and avoid heat like I've learned here).

Am I doing more damage to my hair with the hair loss that occurs from the tangles after washing natural hair (my hair is very thick and hard to manage after washing) and the inability to moisturize frequently than the good that I'm doing by avoiding chemicals for as long as possible? Also, I can't wash as frequently as many of you recommend because it takes me about 5 hours from start to finish. Last night I tried the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged hair for the first time and experienced all the tangles and hair loss the rest of you described. My hair is like a bird's nest today.

Also, has anyone who has worn weaves or braids for a long period of time sucessfully limited the shedding and restored the tired ends that exist after removal (I use QP Mango Butter, Proteciv Healthy Ends, Surge and WGO, but can't use the first three daily due to reversion)?

Thanks

Nay

Hello and welcome to the board /images/graemlins/wave.gif

What about heat-less styles like braidouts, twistouts, bantu knots?

For YEARS I was attached to my pressing comb. I thought I couldn't live without it. But once I found products that really aided in detangling my hair and providing moisture, I now PREFER heat-less styles to my pressed hair.

AND my hair has gotten easier to manage and detangling is almost a breeze.

My staples are:
1. K-Cutter comb
2. Washing and detangling hair in sections while hair is FULL of conditioner and wet in shower.
3. Using Creme of Nature Nourishing conditioner or Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner.

Number 2. listed above made all the difference in the world.

LegallySpeaking

Thanks Nay. I actually viewed your page when I first became addicted to LHCF and have been doing a modified braid out ... modified because I have not yet tried braiding it while it's wet. When my press starts reverting, I braid my hair before going to bed and unbraid it in the morning. Although, after last night's five hour ordeal, I can't imagine washing my own hair again (I know, patience is a virtue). /images/graemlins/smile.gif