Help

dejaomare

Help!! I'm 9 weeks post-relaxer and my hair is breaking off. I touch it and it comes out. I comb it and a significant amount of hair is in the comb. I surge morning and night with s-curl on my scalp after. Then I put EP Mango Butter on the rest of my hair.

I shampoo with Therappe and deep condition Humectress every 3-4 days under a conditioning cap.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Maybe it is time to relax? I know when I initially tried to extend to 12 weeks I couldn't and had to relax at 10 weeks because I experienced what you did.

I also think you should not be combing your hair as much, if at all. I finger style my hair once I get to about 9 weeks. I know that combing will cause me breakage. I was able to extend to 12 weeks this time by using Sta Sof Fro on my roots only and not using a comb at all. Just finger styling in the day and pin curling at night.

When do you intend to relax?

A couple of question come to mind.....

1) Are you using heat i.e. curling iron, blow drying or are you using protective syles?

2) Have you done any protein treatments in the 9 weeks since your relaxer?

desperategirlie34 said:
Help!! I'm 9 weeks post-relaxer and my hair is breaking off. I touch it and it comes out. I comb it and a significant amount of hair is in the comb. I surge morning and night with s-curl on my scalp after. Then I put EP Mango Butter on the rest of my hair.

I shampoo with Therappe and deep condition Humectress every 3-4 days under a conditioning cap.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Sorry for your breakage :(
1. You may need to get a touchup
2. Try Keraphix and Emergencee (alternate between these two products and a deep conditioner).
3. Humectress is NOT a deep conditioner, it's a moisturizer but not a deep conditioner...try KeraKare Humecto

HTH

I agree w/ everyone so far. You may need to touch-up because of the difference in textures. Once you do that I would get into a regime of alternating weekly between a moisturizing conditioner and a mild protein conditioner and doing a heavy duty protein conditioner 3 days to a week after you relax.

IMO, it might be time to touch up. I know we try to extend our touch ups to what we consider a reasonable amount of time, but our hair sometimes tells us otherwise :)

I recommend Motions CPR (critical protection and repair). HALTS breakage for my hair :)

I too think you might need a touch-up. When I first found the board, I was hit with the stretching spirit. I soon found out that I had to prepare for that stretching with a formula of supplements, different shampoos, and different techniques for styling. In your case, I would get a touch-up and implement a healthy hair routine designed to faciliate the stretching.

I'm wearing a protective style and no heat except for when i deep condition.

I'm going to use Emergencee tonight and see what happens.

If it continues or starts back after a couple of days, I'll get a retouch.

I was trying for 16 weeks. I really don't think i'll last.

Thanks everyone.

ms_kenesha said:
I agree w/ everyone so far. You may need to touch-up because of the difference in textures. Once you do that I would get into a regime of alternating weekly between a moisturizing conditioner and a mild protein conditioner and doing a heavy duty protein conditioner 3 days to a week after you relax.

I second everything you said. Great advice!

desperate, I also agree that maybe you need a touch-up. The Surging is probably giving you more new growth than you'd ordinarily have at 9 weeks, so that is likely making your hair even more prone to breakage. I also agree with not combing so much. At 9 weeks, I am combing through my hair as infrequently as possible, only with conditioner, and then usually bunning it. Another possibile explanation might be a protein overload. The Surge + the S-Curl = a semi-heavy dose of protein. I'd try more moisture. Mango butter all over after each Surging and a heavier deep conditioner, like a cholesterol. However, if you decide to relax asap, and then after your relaxer and the moisturizing, you are still seeing breakage, then I'd agree that a heavier protein might be in order. HTH.

Avoid excessive combing when stretching your relaxer over 8 weeks. If you do decide to comb your hair, always comb your hair in sections (do not rake through your hair) and comb slowly and gently. It also helps to moisturize before combing. If you can't get over having to comb your hair and if it continues to break no matter what you do, then go ahead and get a relaxer touch-up. :) Btw, you might wanna check the hairs that are coming out to see if they are actually breakage... they could be shedding! ;)

A suggestion: it seems that you shampoo (therappe) and condition (humectress) twice each, consider replacing one shampooing with a conditioner wash. That is, shampooing every other wash with a conditioner (humectress, for e.g.) in between. Doing this worked for me. Shampoos, even the moisturizing ones, can strip and dry out the hair. Also consider doing a cholesterol treatment (lekair, queene helene, etc.) once each week especially when you have alot of new growth, they really add moisture and soften the hair, which can result in significantly less breakage.

mzjones

Great advice so far. Co-signing on the no combing suggestion also. The only time I comb my hair is after shampooing. I use my fingers to part the hair for rollersetting and finger comb. Also, your hair might not like trying to stretch the relaxer too far. so you might consider relaxing soon too. Good luck. :)

Back