HENNA BEFORE AND AFTER RELAXER!!!

Softresses

MY RESULTS ARE AWESOME!!!!

I noticed all the renewed interest on Henna, I had always been afraid to do it. I had done a lot of research on henna and watched all the posts. Sareca and Vixen inspired me to go ahead.

I decided to use it before and after my relaxer touch up. I have extremely soft hair and it strengthened it up before the relaxer (texturizer). Today (three days after the henna process) I did my touch up. I conditioned my hair and did another Henna after the touch up It Is unbelieveable!!!

Soft, silky, shiney, and incredibly STRONG! I can't believe I waited this long.

I have some pics posted in the gallery. A quick preview is in my siggy!
Softresses

Last edited:

LaNecia

:clap:

It's official!! We have a Henna Revolution!!

Your hair looks awesome, I'm so glad to hear it worked so well for you!! Henna is a wonderful product,I stumbled upon it by accident (thanks to Leia's Journal and Google :lol: ).

Softresses

THANKS Sareca and Vixen!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This Henna has got me CHEEZING like CRAZY! My hair is SWINGIFEROUS!

You ladies rekindled my desire to try it with your beautiful hair. I am SSOOOOOO glad I did!

I used the gelled pectin to mix with mine it made it a wonderfully smooth consistancy! It was easy to apply and easy to wash out!

Happy- happy- joy- joy!

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Last edited:

Softresses

Hi Recherch.

Make sure to get BODY ART QUALITY Henna.
It should be sold in any of your nearby Indian markets. Don't trust store brand Henna that is premixed and has chemicals added. What you want is pure body art quality. Especially if you have chemically treated hair.
Check out Sereca's post if you haven't yet. It has a lot of info and they have listed the links to several old EXTREMELY informative henna posts.
Those post contain different places online that you can order from as well.

Try this site if you can't find a market that sells the powder.
Henna for Hair

Hope this helped.

Softresses

fancypants007

Softresses said:

I noticed all the renewed interest on Henna, I had always been afraid to do it. I had done a lot of research on henna and watched all the posts. Sareca and Vixen inspired me to go ahead.

I decided to use it before and after my relaxer touch up. I have extremely soft hair and it strengthened it up before the relaxer (texturizer). Today (three days after the henna process) I did my touch up. I conditioned my hair and did another Henna after the touch up It Is unbelieveable!!!

Softresses

Your hair looks very nice! I just reordered from Catherine at hennaforhair and I want to start doing my henna treatments every month. I will be doing a touch up very soon, (Aug. 26th). I'm wondering if I should do a treatment before and after like you did. I just gave myself a treatment about 2 weeks ago and one thing I find is that my hair does not tangle as much. How long did you keep the henna on your hair before and after your relaxer.

Softresses

Hi Fancypants,

Thanks for the compliment:D :D :D :D :D .

When I did the initial Henna/Amla treatment I put it on and kept it on overnight. Then three days later I did my touchup (Lye Relaxer). I did a deep conditioning treatment for about 3 hours (in heat cap while doing other things). I then put my Henna mixture on and left it on for 4.5 hours under Saran Wrap, shower cap and heat cap.

I think it was a good move for me to do it before and after. I did it on purpose to make it stronger. I hardly have any breakage!

My hair is 3c all over the back and 4a in top. This makes my hair hard to blowdry (so I very seldom do). I did not loose hardly any hair blowdrying after the treatments were washed out.

Make sure to do a strand test just to be safe. I tested my original hair (saved strands from the shower trap-Lye texturized) with Henna/Amla mix. Then before my touch up I used these same strands that I had Hennaed and tested my lye relaxer touch up on them. Then I neutralized it and applied more henna mix. I know this may seem a bit much but I did not want to take a chance that it would do something wierd. I knew by how awesome the strand test came out that it would be ok.

Hope this helps

Softresses

fancypants007

Softresses said:
Hi Fancypants,

Thanks for the compliment:D :D :D :D :D .

When I did the initial Henna/Amla treatment I put it on and kept it on overnight. Then three days later I did my touchup (Lye Relaxer). I did a deep conditioning treatment for about 3 hours (in heat cap while doing other things). I then put my Henna mixture on and left it on for 4.5 hours under Saran Wrap, shower cap and heat cap.

I think it was a good move for me to do it before and after. I did it on purpose to make it stronger. I hardly have any breakage!

My hair is 3c all over the back and 4a in top. This makes my hair hard to blowdry (so I very seldom do). I did not loose hardly any hair blowdrying after the treatments were washed out.

Make sure to do a strand test just to be safe. I tested my original hair (saved strands from the shower trap-Lye texturized) with Henna/Amla mix. Then before my touch up I used these same strands that I had Hennaed and tested my lye relaxer touch up on them. Then I neutralized it and applied more henna mix. I know this may seem a bit much but I did not want to take a chance that it would do something wierd. I knew by how awesome the strand test came out that it would be ok.

Hope this helps

Softresses

Thank you, you have been very thorough. I never thought about doing a strand test, but that is a good idea. Catherine said she would put my henna in the mail tomorrow, so I should receive it before my day of touchup. I'm going to give it a try.

Softresses

Fancypants,

You are very welcome. Keep us posted on your results. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Softresses

fancypants007

Softresses said:
Fancypants,

You are very welcome. Keep us posted on your results. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Softresses

I do have another question. I was going to just give myself a plain ole henna treatment, but I thought adding some amla to the mix might be interesting. Can you give me the exact recipe that you use in your henna mix. I normally add honey to my henna to make it more moisturising and it seems like it helps. I also ordered some cloves from hennaforhair because I want a deeper auburn color. Thanking you in advance.

Softresses

I mixed a large batch and separated it to freeze for further treatments. I mixed 50g of Amla mix to 100g of Henna, 16oz of yogurt. I mixed this in my blender, Then I put in 1 pkg of Gelled Pectin to thicken.

The Amla served to darken up the mix some so that my normally bright red areas would not turn extremely bright. It darkened it up to a nice Auburn color.

Another good thing is that the Amla fruit is the highest content citrus acid fruit. no need to add lemon juice. I put the mix into airtight containers on some newspaper in my car. I let it sit in my hot car until the color released.

I had a nice pudding consistancy that was very easy to apply and control.

Softresses

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Your hair looks nice, thanks for sharing, I just ordered the samples. Since I've been thinking of coloring my hair once I reach my next goal, this just may be the way to go. I do have some powdered henna already I just need to make sure it is the real deal, lol.

Softresses

Thank you BeautifulWideEyes,

Keep us posted on your results as well, you will love how Henna conditions your hair!

Softresses

Synthia

Hmm? I didn't know you could use henna with relaxers. Don't most relaxer instructions say not to apply over henna? :confused:. Maybe that's my imagination.

I've always wanted to try it, maybe I can after all.

P.S. Vixen, your hair looks great in your avatar. It's really coming along!

Neroli

Softresses said:

Softresses

Wow, your hair is simply beautiful, girl simply beautiful. Welcome to the hennalution!

sareca

Synthia said:
Hmm? I didn't know you could use henna with relaxers. Don't most relaxer instructions say not to apply over henna? :confused:. Maybe that's my imagination.

I've always wanted to try it, maybe I can after all.

P.S. Vixen, your hair looks great in your avatar. It's really coming along!
Mine doesn't say not to use it w/ henna but I have heard that before. However, body art quality henna is different from compound henna. Compound henna (the kind you find in most store) can cause problems when it's mixed w/ metallic dyes. Vendors don't usually tell you they've added metallic dyes to their henna. Metallic dyes can react with relaxers and synthetic dyes in disasterous ways. Body art henna never includes metallics. But you need to let the body art vendor know you want to use the henna for your hair. Some body art hennas have a green undertone. :eek: hennaforhair.com sells body art quality henna for use on hair. Mehndiskinart.com sells body art quality but call and tell them you want to use it on hair and they'll let you know which ones are appropriate. :yep: But no matter what anyone says you always want to strand test w/ hair harvested from your brush, comb, or drain (ewwww).

It sounds complicated, but it's really quite simple and once you know what to get you'll never wonder again. Nor will you have to worry about reactions. It's worth noting that henna is considered permanent color unless you use it unreleased or use clear henna. It is also worth noting true henna only colors hair red. You can make it a cool red or a warm red, but it's still red. Indigo colors hair black. This kind of stuff is considered compound henna. It's easy to tell because henna doesn't come in blonde. :shocked:

A lot of people (myself included) mix henna and indigo to get different degrees of red. Lately I've just been doing indigo alone. So my hair is jet blue-black.

Something else worth noting is henna can be used over and over. You can do it 3X in the same day if you want. It's a conditioner w/ color as a side effect. I've done it twice in one week. I've done it once/wk for six weeks. There's never in any damage just more shine and strength. Henna benefits are cumulative. The more you do it the better they get.

Another thing to consider, not to scare you, but henna stinks. It smells like a farm mixed w/ ACV, but you only need to stomach it for an hour. :) It is also notoriously difficult to rinse out. There a lot of tips like rinsing in sections, using gel pectin or dunking your head in a sink full of water to help w/ rinse out, but count on spending a lot of time rinsing. It's kinda like neutralizing a relaxer. But the annoyance of rinsing and the smell fade fast once you start seeing the benefits.

ETA: There's no real urgency to rinse it all out the same day you apply it. A lot of people henna their hair overnight so it staying in your hair a couple of days because you didn't feel like rinsing it all is just fine. I've done it more times than I care to admit.
There's another thread we (henna revolutionists) :lol: have been posting on, but there are others.

ITA, Vixxen's hair is off the chain! :drool:
HTH

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

I sooooooooooooo want to try this. I've been looking for something to give me the shade I had as a girl (my hair would turn dark auburn with red highlights during the summer.)

My one question is this.... can you use henna on hair that has been highlighted? :confused: My highlights are growing out and I'd like something that isn't so detrimental (as permanent dye) to my hair.

fancypants007

Softresses said:
I mixed a large batch and separated it to freeze for further treatments. I mixed 50g of Amla mix to 100g of Henna, 16oz of yogurt. I mixed this in my blender, Then I put in 1 pkg of Gelled Pectin to thicken.

The Amla served to darken up the mix some so that my normally bright red areas would not turn extremely bright. It darkened it up to a nice Auburn color.

Another good thing is that the Amla fruit is the highest content citrus acid fruit. no need to add lemon juice. I put the mix into airtight containers on some newspaper in my car. I let it sit in my hot car until the color released.

Softresses

Thanks Softresses, I will be doing this soon. I just ordered alma powder from hennaforhair and I will mix the two together. Hopefully this will work for me because I was using 100g of henna and I always seem to run out. Now with the amla added as the extra ingredient, I don't have to add the orange juice to it. I will just mix the two together using the proportions that you said (50g added to 100g) and I will add honey and hot water to my mix. What does the yogurt do for your hair. I will definitely be doing this before I do my touchup. I'm trying to achieve the auburny color and hopefully will all the applications of henna added to my hair, hopefully I will. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

Neroli

Softresses said:

Softresses

Does the yogurt/henna mix defrost well enough to color and condition hair? I mixed 1 part yogurt (dannon plain all natural with milk fats) and 1 part henna to be used tomorrow and just wondering if the extra will keep well enough in the freezer from week to week. TIA

Softresses

Neroli, Thanks for the compliment. I am a newly inducted Henna Revolutionist!!!

Iluvsmuhgrass, I would definately do a strand test before trying it just in case. On the Long Hair Community website there is a long henna thread in the Mane forum that addresses highlights and putting henna over chemical color. A lot of the ladies on that site do so. However I do believe, if I remember correctly, that most of them did strand tests (with harvested hair) before doing the henna treatment.

Fancypants, you will want to make sure to do conditioner only washes to remove the mixture and then do a DEEP conditioner. The Amla is high in Citric acid and you want to make sure to condition well afterwards. The yogurt helps to stretch your henna, I got 4 treatments worth out of 100g of henna by stretching it with yogurt in my mix! It aids with color release as well. I think I read somewhere that yogurt also helps to keep the orange/brassy look from happening, I am not sure but I will look it up and come back with the answer!

Softresses

Last edited:

fancypants007

Softresses said:
Neroli, Thanks for the compliment. I am a newly inducted Henna Revolutionist!!!

Iluvsmuhgrass, I would definately do a strand test before trying it just in case. On the Long Hair Community website there is a long henna thread in the Mane forum that addresses highlights and putting henna over chemical color. A lot of the ladies on that site do so. However I do believe, if I remember correctly, that most of them did strand tests (with harvested hair) before doing the henna treatment.

Fancypants, you will want to make sure to do conditioner only washes to remove the mixture and then do a DEEP conditioner. The Amla is high in Citric acid and you want to make sure to condition well afterwards. The yogurt helps to stretch your henna, I got 4 treatments worth out of 100g of henna by stretching it with yogurt in my mix! It aids with color release as well. I think I read somewhere that yogurt also helps to keep the orange/brassy look from happening, I am not sure but I will look it up and come back with the answer!

Softresses

OK, now I get it! You mix it all up, but you don't use it all in your hair for one treatment, it stretches to many treatments. I was using 100g easily and still didn't have enough. I will try your concoction and hopefully I will get the same successful results as you had. I have never used pectin before. You say you use the whole package. I didn't buy it from hennaforhair, so is there someplace where i can purchase it and if so, how much do i use. Thanks for sharing.

Softresses

Hi Fancypants,

Yes you mix it all up. You can mix 150g of Henna, 30-50g of Alma and 32oz of yogurt and get enough for 4-5 good strong treatments. The pectin is sold at Walmart or any grocery store. Look for the isle with Jello and canning supplies for making jams and jellies.