Henna Tea: The Easiest Way To Henna!?

MsKinkycurl

I tried a henna tea application last weekend and I must say I really liked it! The results were a color deposit which was about 1/4- 1/3 as intense has my normal full henna application but the process took 1/10 of the work and is doable as a weekly/ biweekly treatment.

There have been a couple posts about henna tea leave ins on youtube such as this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

However, I didn't want to risk staining my hats and clothes so I modified the method by turning the tea into a more traditional henna application which I rinsed out.

Essentially I made a tea concoction over 6+ hours using only Nupur henna and near boiling water. I added the henna to a reusable tea bag, also called spice bags, so there was no straining required. Then I sprayed the tea onto dry, recently cleansed hair.

I covered my hair with plastic caps and a cloth band to collect drips overnight, spraying more tea periodically to keep hair moist. My hair absorbed all of the henna tea and partially dried while I slept. In the morning I sprayed the tea one last time to finish the batch and rinsed my hair. It only took 30 seconds to rinse! I then sealed my hair with vatika oil for good measure.

This method is essentially mess free, skin staining free, and water saving compared to the traditional henna paste method. I just finished cleansing my hair again and the hair stain did not lift and has become a bit more apparent as the week has progressed.

I hope this might help someone who may have had to stop hennaing because of some of the reasons mentioned above!

bklynLadee

The bolded part --that's such a SMART idea. I found curly proverbz channel on YT as well and binged on all of her recommendations which I'm attempting to follow to a T.

I probably won't do a full on Henna Mask until January, but I'm doing the Henna Tea and the Henna Glosses...I'm going to do the glosses more frequently. I was doing it every other week, but she says she does it every 4th night, which I will try to do.

So are you still doing the Teas? What is your hair type/porosity? Looking for a hair twin.

I tried a henna tea application last weekend and I must say I really liked it! The results were a color deposit which was about 1/4- 1/3 as intense has my normal full henna application but the process took 1/10 of the work and is doable as a weekly/ biweekly treatment.

There have been a couple posts about henna tea leave ins on youtube such as this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

However, I didn't want to risk staining my hats and clothes so I modified the method by turning the tea into a more traditional henna application which I rinsed out.

Essentially I made a tea concoction over 6+ hours using only Nupur henna and near boiling water. I added the henna to a reusable tea bag, also called spice bags, so there was no straining required. Then I sprayed the tea onto dry, recently cleansed hair.

I covered my hair with plastic caps and a cloth band to collect drips overnight, spraying more tea periodically to keep hair moist. My hair absorbed all of the henna tea and partially dried while I slept. In the morning I sprayed the tea one last time to finish the batch and rinsed my hair. It only took 30 seconds to rinse! I then sealed my hair with vatika oil for good measure.

This method is essentially mess free, skin staining free, and water saving compared to the traditional henna paste method. I just finished cleansing my hair again and the hair stain did not lift and has become a bit more apparent as the week has progressed.

I hope this might help someone who may have had to stop hennaing because of some of the reasons mentioned above!

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
She says every "fortnight" which is every 2 weeks/14 days
I found teas to be too strong for my hair for leave-ins but I'm curious to know what others' results are

The bolded part --that's such a SMART idea. I found curly proverbz channel on YT as well and binged on all of her recommendations which I'm attempting to follow to a T.

I probably won't do a full on Henna Mask until January, but I'm doing the Henna Tea and the Henna Glosses...I'm going to do the glosses more frequently. I was doing it every other week, but she says she does it every 4th night, which I will try to do.

So are you still doing the Teas? What is your hair type/porosity? Looking for a hair twin.

bklynLadee

She says every "fortnight" which is every 2 weeks/14 days
I found teas to be too strong for my hair for leave-ins but I'm curious to know what others' results are

Oooohhhh!!!! I had NO idea!!! That just made my life easier!!!! Lol thanks girl !!

naheda72

Been planning to do this for the past 8 months. I stopped henna masks/glosses because it's too much trouble getting it out my hair. This is a much better alternative I just haven't had a day where I could sit at home for 6-8 hours. My only question that I really wanted to ask before trying is does the tea drip excessively? can you let the tea air dry in your hair and get the same results?

MsKinkycurl

@naheda72 I think letting the tea air dry on your hair is a great idea! It will drip especially if your hair is already wet when you add it. The last time I did this I tried spraying my hair in installments to give it a chance to absorb more tea and avoid excess dripping while I worked from home.

@bklynLadee That's great how do you like it? I have high porosity 4b/4a hair. I've done this about 3 times now which is much less than I had hoped. However, my life has been so busy I would have done a full henna treatment zero times this year. My henna that I have now is older so I'm waiting until I get fresher henna to do the tea again.

Even though I only used it a few times I still saw a difference in my hair health. The last time I did the tea my SO noticed that my hair color seemed richer. During that application, I tried applying both before and after washing to see which was easier. Next time I think that I will apply it to washed hair only and may experiment with adding a final coat as a leave in during a protective style. I also experimented with freezing premade tea for a few days and that worked as well.

The thing that I like most about the tea is that it's hard for anything to go wrong. It's super easy to clean up after, if I had to run out the house I could easily throw my hair into a protective style or rinse out the tea. However, because the effects are mild compared to a full henna, it is harder to know if you are optimizing the process or not.

Once I get my new batch of henna I may try the less is more approach, freezing some in ice cubes and using it for every wash in some way, even if it is just as a leave in.