Henna vs. Protein Treatments

LadyJ76

Okay Ladies,

I've been reading a lot of the Henna threads and Protein treatment threads (expecially Duo Tex.) I Henna'd for the first time last week and did find that it strengthened my hair quite a bit. My question is are those of you who Henna also doing protein treatments? I'm still fairly new and this may be a stupid question, but if they both strengthen the hair, do you need both? Should you do both? I'm still trying to get my regimen together, but I don't want to do too much. Can you LHCF ladies help me out?

thesweetone

BUMP!!!! Would like an answer to this question also. I'm still waiting on my Henna to get here to try it out. But from all that I've read, it seems that it does a great job strengthening and I hope to get the same results because I would really like to get off protein. My hair just doesn't seem to like it at all, and it's in all the products that I've tried since joining LHCF in August, even the moisturizing conditioners and leave-ins that I've tried contain protein. My hair is hard, Hard, HARD!!! Now I'm on the prowl for protein-free conditioners. I just ordered a trial pack of the conditioners from Jessicurl.com and I hope these will work for me.

Softresses

Hi ladies,

I haven't used a protein treatment since starting to henna. I have found that I don't need to. Sareca, who is the Henna queen, said that she uses a protein treatment if she over conditions her hair. I plan on doing one if I over condition. So far I have not seen the need.

How does your hair feel? If it feels mushy after you condition and have that strange gooey too spongey feeling you may need protein.

Softresses

Softresses

Sweetone,

Protein can make your hair very hard. Have you tried a moisturizing conditioner afterwards?

Most products do contain a protein of some sort, but the hardcore protein treatments are the ones the board usually talks about for treatments, like Aphogee, Emergencee, and others.

There are ladies here more knowledgeable about protein than I, however there have been some very infromative threads about it. You may want to do a couple of searches on protein treatments too.

HTH

Softresses

sareca

I've used protein a couple of times since I started henna'g in May. Each time was to correct over-conditioning. Otherwise, I don't think I need 'em.

Hardwksister

I had the same question, thanks for posting. I henna'd a week ago with just adding warm water to the henna, my hair is very strong and not dry like when i do a hard protein treatment. I like the results of the henna but honestly i'm kinda scared of it. I'll continue to do them once a month just to see how my fine/thin hair reacts to it. Thanks ladies.