• Forum Upgraded: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/recent-forum-upgrade.849851/

HENNA WARNING! PLEASE READ

Kamilah

Member
This is not new, but so important that I felt it was worth reposting. Especially since there are so many people jumping on the bandwagon for that awesome henna glow :D

Even using henna labeled "body art" quality is not sufficient. There are only about 3-4 brands which are known not to have toxins (goggle "henna ppd").

I can't recall the names of any others besides Jamila. If you can't find Jamila locally, it's worth the extra $3-$5 to order it online...or not use it at all. Please be careful! Some of these products have mercury salts and even LEAD in them...BE WARE when using products from countries that don't have the same FDA standards we are accustomed to.

This is so important, I'm going to make a new thread on it as a reminder.

ETA: This isn't to discourage anyone from trying henna. It is a WONDERFUL natural hair product. I am only saying to be careful that the henna (AND INDIGO too...indigo that creates a black dye release instead of blue has LEAD) you choose is all natural. Will try to find some links to post later.
 
Last edited:

alexstin

Well-Known Member
Interesting I've never heard of BAQ being contaminated. I guess it pays to buy from a reliable source.
 

Kamilah

Member
"If you get body art quality henna from one of the suppliers on this site, you can be certain that your henna does NOT have PPD or metallic salts in it! The countries who produce pre-mixed henna for hair dye often have lax regulations regarding cosmetic ingredient labeling, so do not have to list their ingredients. If a US company imports pre-mixed henna hair dye from another country, they can repackage and resell it with that inaccurate and misleading labeling. If you have a reaction to a pre-mixed henna for hair, you may be allergic to an unlisted ingredient, such as metallic salts, another plant powder, or PPD."

http://www.hennaforhair.com/allergies/index.html

http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/whatsinit.html
 

dede1174

New Member
i have heard of this. there are some henna's that can actuallyt burn skin if you put it on. NOt the usual ones like Jamila or cassia. But you just have to be careful what you buy. the website you posted go into to great detail about which are bad and which are not.
 

hersheyskiss

New Member
missnappylady said:
Is body art quality henna, safe on previously coloured hair? If it is, I would really love to give henna another try.

I have the same question.:confused:

ETA: Yes you can use it. "Body art quality henna can be used over commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair. Body art quality henna does not have metallic salts, and can be applied over synthetic dyes! How do you know if you've got body art quality henna? Know your supplier! Mehandi, and the other suppliers listed at Henna for Hair Suppliers have body art quality henna! "
http://www.hennaforhair.com/warnings/index.html
 
Last edited:

Amylee

New Member
Wait a sec...Isn't PPD used only in compound black henna? It is supposed to colour in black.

It is used to make tatoos with henna (it's been forbidden in France), because it darkens the colour henna leaves on skin. But it is found in a lot of hair dyes !!!

It is toxic when coming in contact with the skin, but very often used for hair (in Bigen black for example)
 

sareca

Well-Known Member
Amylee said:
Wait a sec...Isn't PPD used only in compound black henna? It is supposed to colour in black.

It is used to make tatoos with henna (it's been forbidden in France), because it darkens the colour henna leaves on skin. But it is found in a lot of hair dyes !!!

It is toxic when coming in contact with the skin, but very often used for hair (in Bigen black for example)

PPD is used in some indigo or black tattoos not genuine henna tattoos. http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/whatisppd.html
 
Last edited:

Amylee

New Member
I thought indigo couldn't be used for tatoos.

But PPD was indeed used to make henna tatoos: I remember there had been a huge scandal about that some years ago, then it was forbidden.
 

sareca

Well-Known Member
Amylee said:
I thought indigo couldn't be used for tatoos.

But PPD was indeed used to make henna tatoos: I remember there had been a huge scandal about that some years ago, then it was forbidden.

I'll take your word for it. :ohwell: I hadn't heard of anything but black tattoos or indigo tattoos containing PPD. As a matter of fact black hair dye sometimes have PPD as an ingredient because they are black. Henna is red. If you had a henna tattoo than contained PPD it wouldn't be red it would be very dark brown. Wait a minute... are you saying PPD was banned or henna tattoos were banned?



Indigo can be (and is) used as for body art...

Catherine sells a body art indigo in crystal from. It's essential purified indigo.
 
Last edited:

Amylee

New Member
Wow Sareca :eek: that is beautiful :)

And it's great news too, because I've always wanted a temporary tatoo, but I didn't like the colour of original henna tatoos. I want something darker.

Indigo seems to be the solution I was looking for :D

BTW, your tatoo is GORGEOUS !!!
 

missnappylady

New Member
hersheyskiss said:
I have the same question.:confused:

ETA: Yes you can use it. "Body art quality henna can be used over commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair. Body art quality henna does not have metallic salts, and can be applied over synthetic dyes! How do you know if you've got body art quality henna? Know your supplier! Mehandi, and the other suppliers listed at Henna for Hair Suppliers have body art quality henna! "
http://www.hennaforhair.com/warnings/index.html

Thanks for the info and link!!! :)
 

amwcah

Well-Known Member
hersheyskiss said:
I have the same question.:confused:

ETA: Yes you can use it. "Body art quality henna can be used over commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair. Body art quality henna does not have metallic salts, and can be applied over synthetic dyes! How do you know if you've got body art quality henna? Know your supplier! Mehandi, and the other suppliers listed at Henna for Hair Suppliers have body art quality henna! "
http://www.hennaforhair.com/warnings/index.html
Yes! BAQ Henna is safe for colored treated hair. Go to www.hennaforhair.com for more information.
 

sareca

Well-Known Member
Amylee said:
Wow Sareca :eek: that is beautiful :)

And it's great news too, because I've always wanted a temporary tatoo, but I didn't like the colour of original henna tatoos. I want something darker.

Indigo seems to be the solution I was looking for :D

BTW, your tatoo is GORGEOUS !!!
Thanks, my tattoo is why I was running in here armed with links! :armyhat: :lachen:

If you like the indigo one, look at these...
http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin7.htm
http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin8.htm
http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin9.htm

..they make me drool. I want one so bad, but I can't find anyone to do it because people have added PPD to indigo for so long everyone thinks they are one and the same. It's really sad. :(

This is my favorite


ETA: In the pic in my siggy the paste is still on. You can see places where it has fallen off.
 
Last edited:

sareca

Well-Known Member
Thanks Isis :)

ITA, we know where to get the good stuff. If you go with a good vendor you'll never have to worry about PPD, metallic compounds, or ingredients not sanctioned by the FDA.
 

Amylee

New Member
sareca said:
Thanks, my tattoo is why I was running in here armed with links! :armyhat: :lachen:

If you like the indigo one, look at these...
http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin7.htm
http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin8.htm
http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin9.htm

..they make me drool. I want one so bad, but I can't find anyone to do it because people have added PPD to indigo for so long everyone thinks they are one and the same. It's really sad. :(

This is my favorite


ETA: In the pic in my siggy the paste is still on. You can see places where it has fallen off.


You know what, I'm going to try this this week end !!! I just can't wait :yay: It's going to be a surprise for my BF, hehehe !!!

I have some indigo and I know a very good henna artist. I really wish original henna looked better on me though...I don't know what's wrong with my skin colour, but it looks like a weird scar on me:(
 
Last edited:

sareca

Well-Known Member
Amylee said:
You know what, I'm going to try this this week end !!! I just can't wait :yay: It's going to be a surprise for my BF, hehehe !!!

I have some indigo and I know a very good henna artist. I really wish original henna looked better on me though...I don't know what's wrong with my skin colour, but it looks like a weird scar on me:(

Ooooo, nice! Here's are a bunch of free patterns. Make sure you read Catherine's literature. It tells you stuff like don't use it on or near mucus membranes; indigo only last 1-4 days cause it doesn't penetrate the skin like henna, etc. Here's her usage info. http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin.htm

Take lots of pics! I can't wait to see what it looks like. I've never seen it on us before...
 

Amylee

New Member
sareca said:
Ooooo, nice! Here's are a bunch of free patterns. Make sure you read Catherine's literature. It tells you stuff like don't use it on or near mucus membranes; indigo only last 1-4 days cause it doesn't penetrate the skin like henna, etc. Here's her usage info. http://www.indigopage.com/how/skin.htm

Take lots of pics! I can't wait to see what it looks like. I've never seen it on us before...

Giiiirl, thank you, thank you, thank you for all the info. I'll make sure I read it all tomorrow before getting my tattoo :)

I'll take pictures for sure. I'm sooooooo excited :creatures
 
Top