Hey Christians - Do you put up a tree, wreaths, holly, etc. . . .

Hey Christians - Do you put up a tree, wreaths, holly, etc. . . .

• Yes

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I used to, but no longer

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Other response (please elaborate)

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Oh dear, I notice a pattern here... Nobody missed your points Shimmie, I'm going to bed now, will address your last post tomorrow.

No need to address it. You've made your point clear as I've done also. :yep:

This topic comes up every season; it's not changing, with that said I wish you and your loved ones well. :Rose:

HeChangedMyName

God laid this scripture on my heart

1 Corinthians 10:33
Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

I say that if you don't choose to celebrate Christmas but that gets someone saved then that's great. 1 for Team Jesus.

If you do celebrate Christmas and it gets someone saved, then that's great 2. Team Jesus:2 World 0.

God knows what he is doing and everyone can't and wont come to salvation along the same path. God is creating ways for ALL mankind to come to him.

divya

SYH (smack your head) a little lighter. The three of you missed the message on all points. :spinning:

Decorations:

For those who 'chose' to decorate, instead of decorating homes in the tradition of the world (i.e. santa, reindeer, etc.), use decor which expresses Jesus as the Gift. That's the complete opposite of the World's decorum.

As for the Little Boy who asked about the gifts: The answer was to "Give Christmas Back'

http://www.jesusisthegift.com/ideas/why_give.asp

A child once asked, “If Christmas is Jesus’ birthday, why do we get all the gifts?” In the midst of the busyness of the season, many of us may have asked ourselves the same question. Are all the presents we receive and the gifts we exchange really a reflection of God?

For God so loved the world that He gave… When we read those words, then it becomes clear that giving truly is at the heart of the reason we celebrate. Giving reflects God’s character and expresses His heart.

But sometimes the true meaning does get lost. That’s why we’re inviting you to be a part of the “Share and Care” Christmas challenge. When we share with those around us through giving unselfishly, we are an example of what God did for us when He sent Jesus. When we use giving to express our hearts, we show the world once again that love is the reason for Christmas.

We can give a simple present. We can give a moment of our time. We can give a small kindness or a great sacrifice. What matters is not the size of the gift, but the meaning behind it. All gifts are ultimately a reflection of Jesus, who is The Gift.

God loved. God gave. God made a difference. We can too.

Like it or not, agree or not, there are hearts of Christians who chose to give Christmas 'back'. Giving of their hearts and time to others who have far less and to those who need to know that they are loved just as much as anyone else.

There are Christians who give of themselves unselfishly, who instead of spending this season for themselves, they 'Give' it to others to be blessed and to enjoy the joy of the season and what it means.

Is this a Gift unto the Lord? Indeed it is. For Jesus said it himself,

" For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came UNTO ME.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you,

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it UNTO ME. ------- Matthew 25:35-40

In your quest for 'holiness', you missed it. You missed what the message was conveying. Each day that we live upon this earth, we are to give unto others, whatever it is we can. And at Christmas, it should especially not be ignored, for we are to give unto those who need so dearly to be included in the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

It is a wonderful opportunity to witness the love of God and how and why He came to save the world from dying in it's sin. For at this time, eveyone is 'listening' and all around them, they hear the praises of Jesus.

God forbid that we become so holy and righteous, that we turn away from giving to a person or a family in need, because it's Christmas and it would be considered 'pagan' to take part in giving a gift of clothing, food, or love to someone because it happened to be during Winter Soltice which the pagan's celebrated. It is as the Scribes and Pharisees, who thought it unrighteous to 'heal' those in need on the Sabbath. Yet, Jesus, turned away from them.... not.

You may not be aware of it, but you are taking part in burning down the bridges leading into the hearts of those who do not know the true meaning of God's Love for them.

Believe it or not, you're taking part in the biggest paganistic practice of all. Silencing the Good News that Jesus Christ the Son of God is born, died and risen. It's the Divine order of Salvation and the order of prophesy. That a Son would be born of a Virgin. Without His birth, there'd surely be no Ressurrection.

Now you can dispute it all you want, but the facts are not changing. There is no Resurrection without His Birth. In all of it's totality, that's God's Plan of Salvation for us. And unto Him, we give Him the glory, the honour and the praise for it, forever and ever.... Amen. :Rose:

Each of you are a trip.... :yep:

If you truly want to avoid paganism, than you have to stop taking care of your hair. And dont fall back on the scripture that a woman's hair is her crown. :lol: Same principle with your arguments regarding Christmas.

If you're really serious about steering away from pagan practices, then from this point on. you have discontinue the care of your hair; taking baths, perfuming your skin, and a few other things women do , which origins were/are paganistic. This is how they prepared themselves to worship the sun and other rituals.

So ummmmmm :look:

I'm just sayin' :lol:

Anyhooo, whether we agree or not, I still love you ladies and I'm just yanking your chains. I'm messin' with you. But, you see, it's more than Christmas, the pagans did and still do a lot of things that we 'all' do now.

So.... we're not so holy after all. :nono:

That's why we have Jesus who came to save the lost where each of us used to be. . :love2:

I encourage you to reread our posts on the issue. It seems like you have misunderstood the points within our posts. We all understand what the preacher was saying in the video but simply disagree with the presentation of the issues etc. As stated before, I believe that all the origins of Christmas should be revealed so that each individual may make a sound decision on the issue. The video seem to gloss over important details, which is my reason for noting the difference between the website and the video.

I applaud those who serve others during the season. If you read my initial post, I agree with that approach. Even though I do not regard Christmas as a Biblical holiday, I do believe it is important to use the spirit of the season to demonstrate Christ's love at a time where so many are receptive. Not one individual here has ever stated that the pagan origins of Christmas keep them from reaching out to others. That is something that certainly should be done year-round.

Thus, where you get the idea that people are "are taking part in burning down the bridges leading into the hearts of those who do not know the true meaning of God's Love for them," I do not know. In addition, you claim that the by not celebrating Christmas, that people are "silencing the Good News that Jesus Christ the Son of God is born, died and risen." That is a highly dangerous road to walk down. Is the only way to share Christ in December by putting up a tree, lights and a wreath? Is it being assumed that those who do not regard Christmas do not share the light of Jesus Christ's birth, death and resurrection? What about Easter? Does the same assumption apply to those who are convicted differently?

As far being holy and righteous, God tell us "Be ye holy, for I am holy" 1 Peter 1:16. The Scriptures tell us that those who "thirst after righteousness" are blessed. Matt. 5:6. I like to believe the ladies here are striving to do that, despite of where they come out on the issue of Christmas...or Easter.

Regarding hygiene and health being pagan, it is your choice to believe that. However, as a Christian who regards the Old Testament, I believe that God is concerned with our health, hygiene and presentation. That some pagans have those practices as well doesn't change that. God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Ultimately, if "we aren't so holy after all," the Scriptures give us guidance on the matter. May we walk in it and strive for God's expectation of holiness.

May you have a blessed Christmas season!

divya

ITA. Yippeee. I love when we agree.

I don't know how God works and will never fully understand, but some people get convicted on certain things wereas other people don't and I am glad that God has allowed me to celebrate it without feeling convicted or without feeling that anything is wrong with it. I love the season and this time of year I love giving, and I do it all year long, but at Christmas it is just a different feeling. my yearlong giving is usually out of obedience and urging of the Holy Spirit. At Christmas, I give because I just want to do it.

As for you ladies who don't celebrate it because of it's pagan roots, were you convicted about it, or did you just make the conscious choice to stop celebrating it or never start celebrating, based upon your knowledge of the facts of it's roots?

Yes, God is amazing in that He works with us individually. I also love the giving spirit that accompanies the season! :yep:

Well, let my clarify my stance because my selection in the poll is actually other. I don't recognize Christmas as a Scriptural holiday nor one of fully Christian origin. That being said, I was taught the complete origins of Christmas and as an adult living in my own place, I don't put up a tree, wreaths and holly, which were initially inquired about in the thread. That being said there are beautiful aspects of the season, and I do recognize that so many eyes are turn to Christ at this time. I will join others in the recognition of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, in service and song. I hope to serve food at a shelter this Christmas with some friends.

As I said in my initial post, I do my best to keep everything in perspective. I understand that some people may recognize Christmas less or more than myself. It does not upset me either way. My fellow Christians love God and are seeking, just as I am.

I just wonder if there is some scripture or punishment or something attached to celebrating Christmas. I'm searching for full Biblical truth in this. I know some issues within our faith boil down to technicalities and traditions and aren't always scriptural in nature.

My focus is a little different. My personal belief is that the remaining practices for us are keeping the Sabbath holy, the Lord's Supper (which Pookiwah shared), and baptism. Christmas is not included.

In addition, I tend look at Christmas in light overall themes within the Scriptures. The Scriptures teach being set apart and holy. God did not support the mixing of holiness with pagan practice. Being that we all are searching to please Him, there will be varying perspectives on the ideas of Christmas and the extent of involvement. This is where I am on the issue today...just want to please my Master. :yep:

Last edited:

Pooks

As for you ladies who don't celebrate it because of it's pagan roots, were you convicted about it, or did you just make the conscious choice to stop celebrating it or never start celebrating, based upon your knowledge of the facts of it's roots?

I have never celebrated it, based on my knowledge of the facts of its roots.

This topic comes up every season; it's not changing, with that said I wish you and your loved ones well.

I wish and yours well also Shimmie, many blessings to you throughout this season and all year through. :yep:

Again I didn’t miss anything, over and over I have said that there are many Christians who observe the time by ministering to the needs of others, and spending valuable time with family. I wasn’t here to participate in the previous threads, and hey, we’re all free to post our thoughts/beliefs over and over as we wish, no one is being forced to read or respond so…

Shimmie said:
In your quest for 'holiness', you missed it. You missed what the message was conveying. Each day that we live upon this earth, we are to give unto others, whatever it is we can. And at Christmas, it should especially not be ignored, for we are to give unto those who need so dearly to be included in the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
Shimmie said:

God forbid that we become so holy and righteous, that we turn away from giving to a person or a family in need, Indeed, God forbid because it's Christmas and it would be considered 'pagan' to take part in giving a gift of clothing, food, or love to someone because it happened to be during Winter Soltice which the pagan's celebrated. I would not dispute feeding the hungry, giving to the poor at any time of the year as this is described as ‘true religion’ in Scripture, hence why I do it year round It is as the Scribes and Pharisees, who thought it unrighteous to 'heal' those in need on the Sabbath. Yet, Jesus, turned away from them.... not. It is nothing of the sort, but okay *shrugs*

You may not be aware of it, but you are taking part in burning down the bridges leading into the hearts of those who do not know the true meaning of God's Love for them. You have got to be kidding me :lol:

Believe it or not, you're taking part in the biggest paganistic practice of all. Silencing the Good News that Jesus Christ the Son of God is born, died and risen. I am truly offended at this It's the Divine order of Salvation and the order of prophesy. That a Son would be born of a Virgin. Without His birth, there'd surely be no Ressurrection.

Okay this is where you started getting silly, so no comment necessary :
If you truly want to avoid paganism, than you have to stop taking care of your hair. And dont fall back on the scripture that a woman's hair is her crown. Same principle with your arguments regarding Christmas.

If you're really serious about steering away from pagan practices, then from this point on. you have discontinue the care of your hair; taking baths, perfuming your skin, and a few other things women do , which origins were/are paganistic. This is how they prepared themselves to worship the sun and other rituals.

So.... we're not so holy after all. It’s not about being ‘holy’, it’s about doing what I believe to be right according to God’s word. I have seen you say unpopular things in threads time and time again, but now it is my turn, make me out to be silly/smallminded/short-sighted, it’s up to you. I am not ashamed or fearful to say why I do or do not believe in certain things, I am not trying to change anyone’s convictions. A lot of times I will stay silent but I say most of what I did in this thread because I consider those lurking that may need information to examine their reasons for doing certain things.

That's why we have Jesus who came to save the lost where each of us used to be. .

And on the final underlined note, I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with you.

Last edited:

Pooks

As I may have helped take the thread off-topic, just reposting the original question posed:

Hey Christians - Do you put up a tree, wreaths, holly, etceven though it ain't got nuthin' to do with Jesus? :look:

When I first learned of the pagan origins of a lot of the decorations and themes Christmas and Easter, I was dismayed. Yet, I still enjoy the decor because I grew up with them . . . I am not opposed to them, but I guess every once in a while I feel some kinda way about it :perplexed

Ramya

Ramya... what are you talking about? Don't be silly. Why would I worry about you or anyone 'stealing' a tree? You're not making sense. :nono:

Agitated. No. Actually, my family and I have been here 'wondering' at the irony of some of the posts. :scratchch: On one hand, some (not all) shun Christmas and then practice loa or other paganisms; or take up for lifestyles or support campaigns against the order of God.

Anyway... enough said. More than enough. :rolleyes:

Actually no, be specific. If I'm wrong I am more than happy to receive information that will enlighten me. I'd rather do what is right than continue to do wrong. I personally have a conviction about Christmas just like I have convictions about certain music, movies, events. Though I may sin (as we all do) it doesn't change my convictions about Christmas which is the topic at hand.

PinkPebbles

SYH (smack your head) a little lighter. The three of you missed the message on all points. :spinning:

Decorations:

For those who 'chose' to decorate, instead of decorating homes in the tradition of the world (i.e. santa, reindeer, etc.), use decor which expresses Jesus as the Gift. That's the complete opposite of the World's decorum.

As for the Little Boy who asked about the gifts: The answer was to "Give Christmas Back'

http://www.jesusisthegift.com/ideas/why_give.asp

A child once asked, “If Christmas is Jesus’ birthday, why do we get all the gifts?” In the midst of the busyness of the season, many of us may have asked ourselves the same question. Are all the presents we receive and the gifts we exchange really a reflection of God?

For God so loved the world that He gave… When we read those words, then it becomes clear that giving truly is at the heart of the reason we celebrate. Giving reflects God’s character and expresses His heart.

But sometimes the true meaning does get lost. That’s why we’re inviting you to be a part of the “Share and Care” Christmas challenge. When we share with those around us through giving unselfishly, we are an example of what God did for us when He sent Jesus. When we use giving to express our hearts, we show the world once again that love is the reason for Christmas.

We can give a simple present. We can give a moment of our time. We can give a small kindness or a great sacrifice. What matters is not the size of the gift, but the meaning behind it. All gifts are ultimately a reflection of Jesus, who is The Gift.

God loved. God gave. God made a difference. We can too.

Like it or not, agree or not, there are hearts of Christians who chose to give Christmas 'back'. Giving of their hearts and time to others who have far less and to those who need to know that they are loved just as much as anyone else.

There are Christians who give of themselves unselfishly, who instead of spending this season for themselves, they 'Give' it to others to be blessed and to enjoy the joy of the season and what it means.

Is this a Gift unto the Lord? Indeed it is. For Jesus said it himself,

" For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came UNTO ME.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you,

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it UNTO ME. ------- Matthew 25:35-40

It is a wonderful opportunity to witness the love of God and how and why He came to save the world from dying in it's sin. For at this time, eveyone is 'listening' and all around them, they hear the praises of Jesus.

God forbid that we become so holy and righteous, that we turn away from giving to a person or a family in need, because it's Christmas and it would be considered 'pagan' to take part in giving a gift of clothing, food, or love to someone because it happened to be during Winter Soltice which the pagan's celebrated. It is as the Scribes and Pharisees, who thought it unrighteous to 'heal' those in need on the Sabbath. Yet, Jesus, turned away from them.... not.

You may not be aware of it, but you are taking part in burning down the bridges leading into the hearts of those who do not know the true meaning of God's Love for them.

Believe it or not, you're taking part in the biggest paganistic practice of all. Silencing the Good News that Jesus Christ the Son of God is born, died and risen. It's the Divine order of Salvation and the order of prophesy. That a Son would be born of a Virgin. Without His birth, there'd surely be no Ressurrection.

Now you can dispute it all you want, but the facts are not changing. There is no Resurrection without His Birth. In all of it's totality, that's God's Plan of Salvation for us. And unto Him, we give Him the glory, the honour and the praise for it, forever and ever.... Amen. :Rose:

:love2:

Beautifully Stated:love4:. And that's the reason why I GIVE and will continue to GIVE.

~God Bless

divya

Actually no, be specific. If I'm wrong I am more than happy to receive information that will enlighten me. I'd rather do what is right than continue to do wrong. I personally have a conviction about Christmas just like I have convictions about certain music, movies, events. Though I may sin (as we all do) it doesn't change my convictions about Christmas which is the topic at hand.

Amen! That is the sincere seeking of truth that God is looking for...:yep:

Revelation 14:12 - Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus

Isaiah 30:21 - And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I do not celebrate Christmas anymore because of the horrible history behind it and its phony, commercial present. Christians choose to be ignorant, or have seared their conscience against the truth, trying to purify it with their good intent. God has said many times throughout the Bible that He cares not for the tradition of men and that we are to obtain from practices contrary to His Word. Behold how well Christians have handled this time of year. Our Father is not fooled and neither are non-believers.

PinkPebbles

1 Corinthians 13
Love

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

divya

Random Christmas thoughts...

1. Yesterday I traveled home to my parent's house... I decided to go and get some new sneakers b/c mine are worn down. I just watched the madness that is Christmas...too much for me. Needless to say, I left without getting the sneakers.

2. My friend said she isn't buying anyone in her family any gifts. They all have too much, and it's just ridiculous these days. She said every time her niece's mother sends around the Christmas wish list for her niece, it turns her off a bit. I can't say I blame her one bit.

3. I'm going to buy pampers for a friend's daughter. She's out of a job...that's it.

4. It's going to be a white Christmas here. The snow has this place looking beautiful...

5. I love hymns and other songs about Christ's birth and life.

6. I'll be studying for the bar on Christmas day...LOL.

7. Merry Christmas ladies!

pebbles

Well, I think this thread is done. My apologies to anyone who was offended in any way.

Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate the birth of Christ. :yep:

Status
Not open for further replies.