Hi BronxDiva, tell me more about ...

pebbles

The breakage you say you're experiencing now since your relaxer last sunday. I've always tended to lose a lot of hair, whether it's breakage or shedding, during the cold winter months. That's always a really tough time for me, in terms of hair. I dare say that a lot of other women might find the winter months to be very perilous for their hair as well.

Since putting my relaxer last saturday, I have noticed that I'm shedding a lot more than I normally do. I'm not getting breakage, I don't think. I interpret breakage to be short pieces of hair, in varying lengths but not whole strands of hair. I attribute the excess shedding I'm getting to the frigid temperatures we're experiencing in New England now, (unbelievably cold so early), maybe a minimal part of it to the relaxer I had done last week. Cathy Howes makes mention in her book of how very critical it is to moisturize and deep condition your hair constantly after a relaxer application. I have to look up what Shamboosie says, like you mentioned. I do vaguely remember him saying that after making the switch from a no-lye to a lye relaxer some shedding was to be expected but not to worry about it.

Since a relaxer causes hair to become very dry and brittle, I have been moisturizing my hair every free second I get. I wear a plastic cap on my head when I'm at home, and when I have to go out like to the supermarket or something, I wear a hat over my plastic cap. I spray my hair with Dew every chance I get. Just a light mist.

I usually wear my hair up. In this cold weather, I can't expose it to the elements. I always used to experience breakage during the winter months. Now that I'm more conscious of that fact, I'm trying to take steps to prevent as much damage as I can, but as for the shedding, there's not much I can do about that.

Keep me posted. We'll work this thing out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

Well it started on Monday, it is small and long strands of hair and i know I messed up because I didnt use a neutralizer so i am going to use a neutralizer today and then my conditioning shampoo, my hair is thin to begin with and I need every strand that I have so when i see these hairs on my shoulders and in the bathroom sink I freak, the same way I do when I cannot get into this site LOL, anyways yesterday I bought the Botanoil shampoo and the Humectress conditioner and also Keraphix protein conditioner and Vitatress like shamboosie advised in the book ($49.00) for everything. I am going to wash and condition my hair today and then do a conditioner wash on Wednesday. hopefully I can get back on track. I tried Cathy's conditioner and it is so hard to get out of the bottle because it is so thick but I think I need more protein conditioners now. I was so upset when I read Shamboosie's book and saw how important Neutralizers are no matter what kind of rhelaxer you use. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I am still taking my vitamins so hopefully some new strands will pop out. My friend asked her stylist about what I did and she said because I was doing the conditioner washes a month prior to rhelaxing my hair the breakage shouldnt be that bad. So what do you think? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i know I messed up because I didnt use a neutralizer

[/ QUOTE ] O.k. That makes sense.

Be sure to condition your hair frequently. After you use the reconstructor, follow it up with Cathy Howes conditioner for 20 minutes. In this case, the more you condition, the better. That's what I always do anyway.

Any time I use a reconstructor I use her deep conditioner or any other moisturizing conditioner right after. Remember that you can't use the Keraphix very often. In 3 days time when you go to deep condition again, use Cathy Howes conditioner or any other deep conditioner. Don't do do another protein conditioner for several more weeks. Keep your hair moisturized as much as possible.

I understand about needing every strand of hair you can get. Believe me, I'm in the same boat. I have very thin, fine hair so I have to work real hard to keep as many strands as I can. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Try to do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment as often as possible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep me posted. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

Can you give me a suggestion of what I should do today?

I was planning on washing with Botanoil shampoo, conditioning with Humectress and then deep conditioning with Keraphix.

daviine

Since a relaxer causes hair to become very dry and brittle, I have been moisturizing my hair every free second I get. I wear a plastic cap on my head when I'm at home, and when I have to go out like to the supermarket or something, I wear a hat over my plastic cap. I spray my hair with Dew every chance I get. Just a light mist.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds smart....I should try that. What are the ingredients of the Dew?

pebbles

Hi BronxDiva,

After you shampoo, do the deep conditioning with the Keraphix first , then after you rinse, apply the humectress, cover with a plastic cap and apply heat for 15 minutes. That should do it for today. Just spray with Dew or your favorite leave-in and try to air dry if you can. After that, Apply a dime size amount of the Humectress to your dry hair as a hairdressing. It will make your hair soft.

In three days time, deep condition with Cathy Howes conditioner for 20 minutes, and follow it by the Humectress for 5-10 minutes. You don't have to apply heat to the humectress at that time if you don't want to, just let it sit. And style afterwards. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep me posted! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

Thanks Pebbles, once again you came through /images/graemlins/grin.gif Wish me luck! I will keep you posted. In January when its time for a retouch I am going to Marvin he will probably scream /images/graemlins/shocked.gifwhen he sees what Ive done to my hair LOL

BronxDiva

Purified water, glycol, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, polysorbate 20, coconut oil, lanolin, methyplaraben, propylparaben, FD&amp;C yellow No. 6 and 5

pebbles

You're welcome girl! Good Luck!! Remember to condition and moisturize your hair as much as possible to minimize the damage. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

In January when its time for a retouch I am going to Marvin he will probably scream when he sees what Ive done to my hair LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, sorry to butt in, but you might see me there. I have an appointment January 18th or something like that!!! Good Luck BronxDiva.

A

AmilLion

Any time I use a reconstructor I use her deep conditioner or any other moisturizing conditioner right after. Remember that you can't use the Keraphix very often. In 3 days time when you go to deep condition again, use Cathy Howes conditioner or any other deep conditioner. Don't do do another protein conditioner for several more weeks. Keep your hair moisturized as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Cathy Howse Conditioner a reconstructor and her moisturizer would be the Ultra Black Hair Dew?

If so, you're hair could be breaking due to, too much protein.

pebbles

HI AmilLion,

Cathy Howes conditioner is not a reconstructor. It is a deep conditioner with some protein in it, but mild enough to use frequently. She states this in her book. A reconstructor, just as you said, cannot be used frequently because it will dry your hair out. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

Cathy Howes conditioner is not a reconstructor. It is a deep conditioner with some protein in it, but mild enough to use frequently. She states this in her book. A reconstructor, just as you said, cannot be used frequently because it will dry your hair out. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, the only reason why I questioned because if you do a reconstructor treatment which is basically a protein treatment followed by another protein treatment (even though it's a mild protein), I thought that perhaps that could be causing the breakage with your hair.

Sorry, I was just trying to help identify your breakage issue.

pebbles

Hey AmilLion,

No need to apologize girl! /images/graemlins/smile.gif The reason I'm so sure of this is because I emailed Cathy Howes myself before I started to use her conditioner. I was under the impression that it was a reconstructor also. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Since she pointed out the fact that too much protein was not good for the hair and her product has protein, I asked her about it. She did answer back and told me that her conditioner is not a reconstructor. It has a very small amount of protein in it but not enough to damage hair from frequent usage. She told me that if I did need a reconstructor, her recommendation was Aphogee treatment for damaged hair. And that she suggests I follow that treatment with her deep conditioner to moisturize after such a strong protein treatment.

We're all in this together. We all know you are just trying to help! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BronxDiva

The results are in....

I am so happy right now. Thank you Pebbles. I did exactly what you said wash with Botainoil, apply Keraphix for three mins., Deep condition with Humectress and then I roller set and after I took out the rollers I sprayed dew and then put some jojoba oil. My hair feels great! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks soooo much for the tips. My next wash is on Weds. Do you think I can do a conditoner wash or should I just wash with the botainoil, and deep condition with Cathy's condtioner? I like the Humectress. Also do you know if I did it the right way by applying Jojoba oil? I wanted to seal the moisture in from the dew.

pebbles

Hi BronxDiva,

I was just about to write to you to ask how it went on Saturday. I'm so happy it worked out!!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

On Wednesday when you wash, use the Botanoil again. It's an excellent shampoo, and mild enough to use often. You can go back to the conditioning washes after that. I would definately use Cathy's conditioner. Be sure to leave it on for a minimum of 20 minutes with heat. After that follow up with the Humectress for 10 minutes.

Cathy's conditioner is excellent and it's what I use everytime I deep condition my hair, twice a week. It's my deep conditioner of choice. But I always have to follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner because my hair usually feels hard afterwards. You don't have to use heat. That will make your hair nice and soft. I like the humectress a lot myself. I use it also.

The way you used the Jojoba oil was fine. You did good girl!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nita4

Girl...thank God for this hair board. That is how I lost my hair after my very first relaxer. Let some "friends" put it in. Didn't no know nothing about neutralizing shampoo....after a couple of weeks....my hair had broken off so bad and was "bald" in the back....It was a mess. Follow through with the advice Pebbles is giving and never relax without neutralizing.

nita4

No Girl, you won't go bald. Now that you went back and neutralized your hair. Keep doing what you are doing and it should be fine.

Not neutralizing is a major No No - and yes, it will take out your hair or create major damage "if not done".

You are okay now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif