High Porosity Hair Support Thread

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
The High Porosity Hair (HPH) Support Thread

HPH is caused by chemical treatments, heat damage, permanent dyes, improper care, etc and IMO these are permanent damages that cannot be fixed with a proper pH balance.

Check out the chart below: HPH absorbs in lots of moisture and releases it just as fast. This is why on humid days, the hair can revert and shrink because it absorbed to much moisture (water) from the air and releases it causing it to be dry.

I noticed my HPH holds my hair dyes (Bigen) when I first apply it and looks faded after I wash my hair. Non-protein products, humectants, also enhance my HPH even worst.

Based on my small research:

AVOID: Humectants, cones, glycerin, mineral oil, petroleum, etc.

USE: Proteins, hennas, coconut, keratins, etc.

Its also trial and error as well with HPH. What works for one HPH doesn't work for another. Protein, keratin, and henna fills in the holes in the hair shaft to help the hair retain moisture.

Some Key Products:
Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner
Vatika Oil
Natty Natural ACV Hair Mist

Henna/Indigo Tutorial

Ayurvedic Hair Treatments

Spinoff HPH Thread

**The images below (some reason upside down) show my roots with low-normal porosity and my length with high porosity. Literally my ends sunk to the buttom instantly and my roots stayed towards the top or just below the surface of the water. You can see the light reflection & texture difference.**

Attachments

• image-3126004201.jpg
    image-3126004201.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1248242396.jpg
    image-1248242396.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Thumbs Up:
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor
CHI Deep Brilliance Reconstruct​

Trash It:
Suave Humectant Conditioner
NaturelleGrow Leave In Conditioner​

To Try:
Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner
Aubrey Organics GPB Shampoo
Mill Creeks Aloe Vera Shampoo
Claudie's Normalizing Deep Conditioner​

With HPH, its still good to try out products. Depending on rather certain ingredients fall at the top or bottom of the list can also determine if a product will work or not.

Last edited:

Aviah

I think my hair may be high porosity. I just bought aphogee two-step today and will try it as soon as my braids are out weekend after next.

g.lo

I have highly porous hair and oh my it is hard work.
I am natural and even when relaxed I remember the stylist telling that my hair was hp.
For sure humectant doesn't work for me, I avoid products with glycerine like a plague, proteins and coconut oil are my best friend.

NefertariBlu

Why are "Humectants, cones, glycerin, mineral oil, petroleum, etc." things to avoid. I use all of these and my hair stays soft and moisturised. I do used proteins too though I do use cones and mineral oil from time to time. They are mainly styling cremes.

Why are these things things to avoid for HPH hair?

Here's a list of things I use
S Curl spray- glycerin
Taliah waajid protective mist bodifiyer- the formula i have has glycerin in it

Shea moisture deep treatment masque and leave in- glycerin
Shea moisture curling souffle- a whole bunch of humectants
Qhemet Alma cream- no humectants
Miss Jessie's buttercreme and meringue- petroleum

JBCO

I have had good result with keeping my hair soft with these:look:

Last edited:

temfash

Why are "Humectants, cones, glycerin, mineral oil, petroleum, etc." things to avoid. I use all of these and my hair stays soft and moisturised. I do used proteins too though I do use cones and mineral oil from time to time. They are mainly styling cremes.

Why are these things things to avoid for HPH hair?

Here's a list of things I use
S Curl spray- glycerin
Taliah waajid protective mist bodifiyer- the formula i have has glycerin in it

Shea moisture deep treatment masque and leave in- glycerin
Shea moisture curling souffle- a whole bunch of humectants
Qhemet Alma cream- no humectants
Miss Jessie's buttercreme and meringue- petroleum

JBCO

I have had good result with keeping my hair soft with these:look:

My high porosity hair thrives with glycerine based products like Scurl, I use medium to high protein products regularly as my hair is also fine.

nymane

I have high porosity hair...Especially my nape area

Thumbs Up (godsends for correcting my high porosity hair):
Silicon Mix DC (original)
Lacio lacio leave-in
Aphogee 2 Step (heavy protein)
ICON Proshield (medium protein)

To Try:
Nothing! Consistency works for me. Sticking with my tried and true staple products has helped me control my hair's porosity and significantly reduced breakage.

Nice thread...

cocoagirl

So my question is this, I've read all the HiPo threads and I don't see many recommendations for products( conditioner/protein conditioner and daily moisturizer) that have worked well for people. Whereas in the LoPo threads I see people have specific conditioners and moisturizers that seem to agree with their hair. Does this mean that any good condish/moisturizers will work for HiPo hair except for those containing cones,glycerin cuz those are about the only 2 ingredients that are consistently mentioned as one's to stay away from.

I'm looking to add to my arsenal:
A protein condish: Looks like Aphogee 2 step is popular, I have some but it's running out so need other rec's
A moisturizing condish: Need Rec's
A daily or as needed leave in: need rec's

I'm going to buy French Perm Stabilizer or Roux Porosity Control (i've used roux before back in the day can't remember lasting results though it left my hair hard)

Which brings me to another question, for those who get hard hair when using Roux as a final step, do you then do a quick rinse out conditioner to get soft hair again?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I'm waiting on directions to send my hair to Komaza, but for the most part, I do think I'm hi-po. I also have fine hair, so my regimen is built around strengthening and sealing in all moisture. I do try to avoid cones, but glycerine and humectants work well for me. I do try to clarify at least once a month. I shampoo every 7-10 days and always deep condition afterwards. I co wash as needed in between with moisture. Something that I've been trying lately that seems to be working is not drying my hair, at all. I then moisturize and seal using the LCO(B) method. Since the weather is warming up, I've been airdrying all the time. In the winter, I used heat twice a month. I color with a demi-permanent every 10-12 weeks.

Product wise

Hits/Staples
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
Shea Moisture Shea Butter shampoo
Shea Moisture Shea Butter Restorative conditioner (the one with the pump)
Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
Ion Color Solutions Daily Deep Conditioner
Ion Color Solutions After Color Sealer
Curl Keeper
Coconut oil
Castor oil
HEHH

Misses
Eco Styler gel
grapeseed oil
Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor

DrC

HP from heat. This help the living crap out of my hair:

Zotos Porosity Equalizer

It's a leave in treatment. I spray it on before putting in my moisturizer. Whipped my hair back into shape.

FelaShrine

^I need to get that DrC. I think #HoneyBee likes it too. are you relaxed?

cocoagirl well HP is really about protein balance so perhaps a conditioner that is moisturizing and also has protein would help at least twice a month..like Aubrey GPB or Salerm's Wheat Germ mask etc..then a real protein once a month..I use Komaza's.

DrC

^I need to get that DrC. I think #HoneyBee likes it too. are you relaxed?

cocoagirl well HP is really about protein balance so perhaps a conditioner that is moisturizing and also has protein would help at least twice a month..like Aubrey GPB or Salerm's Wheat Germ mask etc..then a real protein once a month..I use Komaza's.

I've been using heat frequently.

PJaye

At the start of my journey, I had dry, stiff, highly porous hair that used to suck up water like a glutton only to be bone dry within an hour. What worked for me was:

- Adding more protein treatments and semi-permanent color rinses to patch up the damaged hair (the treatments had to have a high keratin content and the rinses contained collagen, so it was a win-win situation)

- Including a variety of proteins, particularly collagen, given its ability to increase elasticity and strength (since HP hair can absorb an abnormal amount of water, I wanted to avoid breakage by increasing my hair's elasticity)

- Using highly emollient conditioners and moisturizers that contained a large amount of oil, fatty alcohols and butters (especially cocoa and excluding shea)

- Adding oil to my DCs, especially castor and babassu (one of the richest emollients I've ever encountered is babassu, and I cannot do without it)

- Avoiding finishing and styling products that contained humectants, which is difficult because 90% of all vendors are in love with glycerin, panthenol, and honey

- Regular chelating (although it's a product recommended for relaxed hair, I use it just in case because you never know what's lurking in the water. It's a cheaper, less burdensome alternative to shower filters and distilled water)

- Sealing my entire head with oil (I never understood the purpose of only sealing the ends anyway)

FelaShrine

PJaye what products are you using without panthenol, glycerin and honey.you're right I cant think of many without :lol: oh and the moisturizers too..i thought you hated aloe..shea there too? :lol:

honeybee is that everytime you m&s or just wash days?

PJaye

FelaShrine

Yes, they're everywhere! It was so hard finding leave-ins/moisturizers that didn't contain those ingredients...and no protein, hidden proteins or shea butter. It was as if they were all copying off of each other's test papers.:lol: IMO, a person can effectively use these ingredients once their hair has become balanced, but not while trying to correct the issue. However, my saving graces were the glycerin-free version of Darcy's Daily and AIAN Leave-in, along with PBN's Moisture Milk and KCKT.

Avyn

I hsve fine and hi po hair. I have been on a hamster wheel for years trying to figure out why so many products raved about on any site never worked for me. Its been a hard road since ive been natural. Im just now figuring out that its because i have fine AND hi po hair.
I just read on another site that chelating shampoos are key for high po hair. It was a white site so I wasnt sure about their recs. They said nexxus aloe rid. Any that you all know of? Im also wondering if ceramides would help too. I need to be consistent with my use of ceramides. Ive just started a regi with henna and joico kpak. Im noticing a big difference in moisture retention since I've been doing this the last few weeks. I never use a leave-in and last week I used Cantu Shea butter but the jury's still out. Im tryng to use up all the stuff in my cabinet and I have a full jar of it.

meka72

I hsve fine and hi po hair. I have been on a hamster wheel for years trying to figure out why so many products raved about on any site never worked for me. Its been a hard road since ive been natural. Im just now figuring out that its because i have fine AND hi po hair.
I just read on another site that chelating shampoos are key for high po hair. It was a white site so I wasnt sure about their recs. They said nexxus aloe rid. Any that you all know of? Im also wondering if ceramides would help too. I need to be consistent with my use of ceramides. Ive just started a regi with henna and joico kpak. Im noticing a big difference in moisture retention since I've been doing this the last few weeks. I never use a leave-in and last week I used Cantu Shea butter but the jury's still out. Im tryng to use up all the stuff in my cabinet and I have a full jar of it.

I purchased and just used ORS Aloe shampoo that has been highly recommended on this site for chelating/clarifying the hair. I'm sure ORS is cheaper than Nexxus but that may reflect the quality of the ingredients.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
In retrospect, I think my hp hair is/was due to my scalp not being healthly. Since I've discovered I have a scalp issue and have taken measures to correct it, my hair's elasticity and moisture retention has greatly improved.

meka72

In retrospect, I think my hp hair is/was due to my scalp not being healthly. Since I've discovered I have a scalp issue and have taken measures to correct it, my hair's elasticity and moisture retention has greatly improved.

How did you realize that your scalp wasn't healthy and what steps did you take to correct the problem? TIA!

lamaria211

I'm a PJ but some of my staples are: macadamia healing oil deep repair masque+ poo
Macadamia natural oil healing treatment+ spray
Macadamia Nat oil nourishing leave in
Queen Helen cholesterol
Pure Argan oil
Pure Marula oil
Bee Mine DC
Bee mine luscious moisturizer
As I am leave in
As I am double butter cream
SM moisture retention poo
Coconut oil
Aphogee 2 minute
Aphogee green tea
Chi keratin mist
Chi silk infusion
Aubrey organics gpb + honey suckle rose
Roux Pc
Roux moisturizing leave in
Darcy's pumpkin seed condish
Darcy's deep conditioning mask
Wen 613

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
meka72 My hair was thinning in my crown and basically from my ears forward. I could see scaling in my hairline but I didn't realize my entire head was affected by sebborheic dermatitis until recently. I never had any discomfort, but I started using ACV on my scalp once I noticed scaling in my crown and it has made a world of difference. I also use Shea Moisture African Black Soap. Apparently, I have an oily scalp.

krissyc39

Question for my 3c/4a ladies: how long is your hair right now?

** Revised question. How long were you able to grow your hair with high porosity strands/ends?

Last edited:

ajargon02

So my question is this, I've read all the HiPo threads and I don't see many recommendations for products( conditioner/protein conditioner and daily moisturizer) that have worked well for people. Whereas in the LoPo threads I see people have specific conditioners and moisturizers that seem to agree with their hair. Does this mean that any good condish/moisturizers will work for HiPo hair except for those containing cones,glycerin cuz those are about the only 2 ingredients that are consistently mentioned as one's to stay away from.

I'm looking to add to my arsenal:
A protein condish: Looks like Aphogee 2 step is popular, I have some but it's running out so need other rec's
A moisturizing condish: Need Rec's
A daily or as needed leave in: need rec's

I'm going to buy French Perm Stabilizer or Roux Porosity Control (i've used roux before back in the day can't remember lasting results though it left my hair hard)

Which brings me to another question, for those who get hard hair when using Roux as a final step, do you then do a quick rinse out conditioner to get soft hair again?

So you would want to close the cuticle to prevent some of that moisture from escaping. Protein balanced with moisture and keeping those cuticles as closed as u can.

The kimmaytube products at www.luvnaturals.com are ph balanced and gentle. I luv it!

Also eulence (sp?) Shampoo and condish are ph balanced so that helps too.

I stick to stuff that's pH balanced and my hair thanks me.

Also acv in the proper ratio with water is good to close the cuticle as well as avg diluted in a proper ratio with water and cold water also helps.

Hth

Last edited:

mshoneyfly

cocoagirl
For moisture DC, leave in and rinse out, I recommend Giovanni SAS. I really like the As I Am leave in for moisturizing too. I just started using the Hairitage Hydrations soft coconut marshmallows leave in too. Its really nice, lasting as a moisturizer.

For protein, I like the AO GPB but I have other stronger proteins too. I like the Joico K-pak (both formulas). I have been taking biotin pills with keratin and this has really strengthened my hair to the point where I had to leave my last texturizer in a little longer so I wouldnt be over processed. The new Shea Moisture smooth & repair line (green labels) is heavenly too.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

myhairgrowstoo

cocoagirl
For moisture DC, leave in and rinse out, I recommend Giovanni SAS. I really like the As I Am leave in for moisturizing too. I just started using the Hairitage Hydrations soft coconut marshmallows leave in too. Its really nice, lasting as a moisturizer.

For protein, I like the AO GPB but I have other stronger proteins too. I like the Joico K-pak (both formulas). I have been taking biotin pills with keratin and this has really strengthened my hair to the point where I had to leave my last texturizer in a little longer so I wouldnt be over processed. The new Shea Moisture smooth & repair line (green labels) is heavenly too.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

What brand of biotin pills do you buy? That sounds great