High Porosity Hair Support Thread

mshoneyfly

Bump. I need recs for deep conditioner. I have fine HiPo hair
NefertariBlu My hair is fine and highpo too so these recs might work for you. Giovanni smooth as silk (someone was just saying this is too light for a DC). My hair loves it. It is ultra moisturizing and does not contain protein. I have 3 of the big bottles in my stash as back ups. AO HSR is nice but works better when I add a little oil. I haven't tried the AO rosa mosqueto yet but its in my stash. Its supposed to be a good moisture DC too. Shea Moisture ABS purification masque is very moisturizing and a good clarifyer and detangler. When Im not lazy, I do a pink Australian clay masque treatment with the clay powder I ordered from B-N-B. This stuff is the TRUTH! It leaves the hair hydrated and perfectly moisturized. (I mix it with water and some other basic ingredients). People swear by that hairveda sitrinilla but I havent taken the plunge yet. I like to buy my stuff on the ground.Hope this helps :)

ETA: Oh I forgot Eden Bodyworks DC. Its really good too

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Question for my 3c/4a ladies: how long is your hair right now? ** Revised question. How long were you able to grow your hair with high porosity strands/ends?

BSL but it's not full. I know I'm guaranteed breakage because of the holes and lack of moisture my older ends can hold. Heck, if the wind blows to hard enough, it will break a strand at a week point.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I had no idea this thread was bumping.

It seems 100% of the ladies here w/ HiPo AND fine hair have trouble finding products.

Closing the cuticle and binding the holes closed are ways to help maintain the path to healthy hair but it's hard b/c these are NOT permanent fixes.

Currently I prepoo overnight w/ NJoy growth oil on my roots and Ojon Restorative Treatment (Batana Oil) on my length.

I also use Natty Naturals ACV Hair Mist. It help seals the cuticle.

NJoy & Natty Natural both contain Ayurvedic ingredients which mimic protein. B/c I don't have a staple DC, I use ojon because it is a repairing deep treatment.

I try to stay close to natural products but since my HiPo hair came from chemical, styling, and maybe heat damage, I need products sometimes that offer to help retain moisture and may have some not so good ingredients.

My hair likes Giovanni Weightless Leave In conditioner. My hair feels moisturized and has slip.

I've decided to LTT as well. Not sure if I can achieve WL hair w/ Fine HiPo hair. My new growth is really healthier, shinier, and softer than my relaxed ends. Who knows, maybe as a natural I can achieve any length effortlessly.

mshoneyfly

Some recent finds for fine, HiPo hair:

As I Am leave-in conditioner and double butter cream.
The LI really seals the cuticle nicely. I've been using it as a moisturizer under the cream and sometimes under coconut oil. I really like it. Makes my hair look and feel thicker, hydrated and moisturized.

Hairitage Hydrations soft coconut marshmallow

:Love: its an awesome detangler, leave in and moisturizer. It smells like heaven. You only need a little for each section and it does the job. It detangles my tangle prone hair almost instantly

The LIs were the one part of my regimen that was lacking. I am happy to report that all three of these products are HG status!

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Namilani

I'm so glad to have finally discovered my hair is high porosity! I'm finally at a place where I can start constructing a solid, new regime... So I'm thinking I need to try some of the Roux products for sure.

Queenie

Question for my 3c/4a ladies: how long is your hair right now?

** Revised question. How long were you able to grow your hair with high porosity strands/ends?

I am MBL. I use protein treatments, like Aphogee 2 Step and collagen in my conditioner. I use Roux porosity control and vinegar final rinses. My normal leave-in is Infusium 23.

krissyc39

I am MBL. I use protein treatments, like Aphogee 2 Step and collagen in my conditioner. I use Roux porosity control and vinegar final rinses. My normal leave-in is Infusium 23.

Thats interesting... Where did you get the collagen from? How often do you use the 2 step?

xxinsanexxchels

Why are "Humectants, cones, glycerin, mineral oil, petroleum, etc." things to avoid. I use all of these and my hair stays soft and moisturised. I do used proteins too though I do use cones and mineral oil from time to time. They are mainly styling cremes.

Why are these things things to avoid for HPH hair?

Here's a list of things I use
S Curl spray- glycerin
Taliah waajid protective mist bodifiyer- the formula i have has glycerin in it

Shea moisture deep treatment masque and leave in- glycerin
Shea moisture curling souffle- a whole bunch of humectants
Qhemet Alma cream- no humectants
Miss Jessie's buttercreme and meringue- petroleum

JBCO

I have had good result with keeping my hair soft with these:look:

Is your hair high porosity or normal porosity? Because my hair is HP and I would have problems with all of these with the exclusion of the JBCO and Nexxus Humectress(you didn't list but it is a humectant) which I loved when I was relaxed but haven't used as a natural. My hair hates glycerin, cones, and shea butter they all make my hair hard.:nono:

But wheat germ protein, silk proteins, keratin, behentrimonium methosulfate (BTMS) for detangling and softness and keratin treatments my hair loves :lick: I'm going to try henna next now that my bkt wore off.

xxinsanexxchels

Destination Exotic Shine
Creme of Nature
Argan Oil
Strength and Shine Leave in Conditioner
Gives me life it came as a free sample and it made my HIPO hair so soft and retain moisture.
Heres what the sample looked like and the ingredients attached.

Attachments

• 20140702_124214.jpg
    20140702_124214.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 26
  • 20140702_124230.jpg
    20140702_124230.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 28

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Destination Exotic Shine Creme of Nature Argan Oil Strength and Shine Leave in Conditioner Gives me life it came as a free sample and it made my HIPO hair so soft and retain moisture. Heres what the sample looked like and the ingredients attached.

I love the proteins in it but the formaldehyde, cones, and urine is all a bit much. Sheesh!!! Sorry y'all, I'm an ingredient obsessor.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
So I just found out that my relaxed ends are hi-po from a hair analysis I had done (I'm currently LTT and my new growth is normal-po).
My HHJ is kind of starting over since I need to figure out how to work with hi-po ends.

almond eyes

http://store.claudieshairrevitalizer.com/conditionersHelp! :)

My highly porous hair soaks up water and product fast but won't stay moisturized and elastic. Some days, the dryness and lack of moisture make me desire a relaxer.

For those who used the Claudie's conditioner, do you still recommend it? Di you order it from this site: http://store.claudieshairrevitalizer.com/conditioners? Exactly which conditioner did you purchase?

Thanks in advance!

First, you have to determine what works well with your hair. For some women glycerins leave them crunchy and others the protein in the leave ins can lead to protein overload if that product is used daily or especially if used that week with a protein shampoo and protein conditioner (which is why you must check your hair ingredients). I must say it is a challenge to find leave ins that do not contain glycerins. I am not so much anti protein in my leave ins but I steer clear away from silicones as that may have the slip but leave your hair dry.

I also in the past due to my frustrations with dry hair ran to get a relaxer but I realized that was not the solution. Highly porous hair especially if the curls are fine also tends not to relax straight which can be a challenge when it comes to touch ups and over processing and under processing.

The only way to get in that moisture well is through Deep Conditioners on a weekly or bi weekly basis. And when you go to sleep at night you must hold that water based leave in or water from a spray bottle and product with your big braids or twists.

The longer your hair becomes the easier the moisture will hold because you can braid your hair properly and evenly while as when your hair is short or medium short it is more of a challenge to do the protective styles and get all of those hairs.

Best,
Almond Eyes

mshoneyfly

I have recently tried Roux Porosity Control conditioner. It has changed my hair life! I have only used it once and my hair is retaining moisture better than it ever has!

I also do henna/indigo treatments once every two to three weeks and yesterday, I did a treatment with a mixture of ayurvedic powders. I DCd after and smoothed the hair back with a satin scarf. Was too sleepy to moisturize and seal. This morning I just put it in two twists and put on my wig. Tonight my hair still feels good. Before the Roux conditioner, my hair would be soo dry and tangled by now.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I have a theory.

So the other day I swore my hair was dry and brittle af. I was in and out running errands and such. At certain times it felt normal. Then I realized it was a hot dry day about 90o. It seems as though my cuticle were opening and closing in response to ambient temp and maybe humidity changes!

This has happened more than once this summer and figured this was a good place to drop that info.

It doesn't seem to happen when its heavy sealed vs light product.

Idk if anyone else has experienced this?

krissyhair

Okay I'm going to come back to this thread to read up later. I have high porosity hair, but not from damage. It's that way naturally.

How do I know it's high porosity? Because it fully dries after washing in 1 hour or less. 20 minutes to dry if the temperature outside is around 70 degrees (21C)

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Okay I'm going to come back to this thread to read up later. I have high porosity hair, but not from damage. It's that way naturally.

How do I know it's high porosity? Because it fully dries after washing in 1 hour or less. 20 minutes to dry if the temperature outside is around 70 degrees (21C)

The water test helps. Fill a cup with water, take cleans strands (no product), then place strands (use shed hairs) in water. If hair floats- Lo Po; hair sinks to the bottom- Hi Po; and if hair stops in the middle- balanced.

krissyhair

The water test helps. Fill a cup with water, take cleans strands (no product), then place strands (use shed hairs) in water. If hair floats- Lo Po; hair sinks to the bottom- Hi Po; and if hair stops in the middle- balanced.
Thank you.

I shouldn't ask rhetorical questions online lol.

I have seen the water/floating test before.

But my hair is definitely high po

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thank you.

I shouldn't ask rhetorical questions online lol.

I have seen the water/floating test before.

But my hair is definitely high po

Wow, I just reviewed your original post.…my bad. Reading is fundamental. I should try it sometime, lol.

jsjames

Hi ladies
Quick question
As a high porosity do you feel henna is better to use than cassia ? am currently using cassia n I started before someone told me I was high porosity . I'm tempted to try henna as I haven't noticed any difference using cassia this past year unfortunately but am scared of color change from henna and do not know where to get it either