HIIIII SHORT HAIR LADIES HOW ARE YOU PROTECTING YOUR HAIR RIGHT!!!

Nanyanika

Hello ladies, i'm having my touch-up relaxer, just before Christmas and i've decided cut my hair to finally be rid of the damaged texturized ends. I just will not be happy until they're gone. i maybe cut to shoulder length and i was wondering what protective styles i could do, i usually wear buns but i'm not sure i will have enough length for that. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

keluric

The easiest way to cheat a bun, in my opinion is to either use scarves or artificial hair. I have pics in my fotki of the scarf bun.. it's not for everyone but it's the best for protecting my ends, especially during the winter months.

londontresses

As you can see my hair is a lot shorter than you're planning to cut but I have a weave at the moment, am getting cainrows next week and twists for the holiday season. I find it a lot easier - esp during the winter - HTH :)

Nanyanika

keluric said:
The easiest way to cheat a bun, in my opinion is to either use scarves or artificial hair. I have pics in my fotki of the scarf bun.. it's not for everyone but it's the best for protecting my ends, especially during the winter months.
Thankyou thankyou thankyou, for suggesting the scarf bun method, i must try this, a it sounds like it would do well with protecting the ends from dryness/splits. Do you use a silk scarf? anyway i'm gonna have a look at your album.

keluric

londontresses said:
As you can see my hair is a lot shorter than you're planning to cut but I have a weave at the moment, am getting cainrows next week and twists for the holiday season. I find it a lot easier - esp during the winter - HTH :)

Off-topic but I noticed you used the term 'canerows.' Are you from the Caribbean at all?

Nanyanika

CAPlush said:
I have short hair, and I use an octopus clip as a protective style. It's a "pretend" bun.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100840&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod1401802

But please, don't cut your hair all at once! Maybe you can do a series of smaller trims, and at least keep it at least BSL.
Oh i have that clip at home, never thought of using it like that, thanks that'll will quite useful then, thanks. I know i'm gona lose length, i have about four inches to go, and they get really frizzy and unruly, the only time they act well is when its wet, or based with lots of moisture. I may only cut two inches we'll see. Anyhow i will post my results. thanks for your help.

Nanyanika

keluric said:
Off-topic but I noticed you used the term 'canerows.' Are you from the Caribbean at all?
sorry for butting in, i also use the term canerows and i'm carribean, jamaica and Grenada.

Nanyanika

londontresses said:
I was contemplating a weave or extensions too....but its gonna be too costly for me.

Nanyanika

keluric, thank-you very much, for allowing me to view your scarf bun method, i really want to try this now, you have soo much thick pretty hair.

londontresses

My parents are Caribbean. To be honest most of the people I know say canerows - I think its a UK thing coz I notice in the US u tend to say cornrows...:)

Last edited:

londontresses

den1 said:
I was contemplating a weave or extensions too....but its gonna be too costly for me.

I hear ya....but I've just started weening off bi-weekly hairdresser appointments so for the moment its saving me money. Once I start looking after my hair myself completely I dont think I'll want to part with the cash either. I've learnt so much here.

Nanyanika

londontresses said:
I hear ya....but I've just started weening off bi-weekly hairdresser appointments so for the moment its saving me money. Once I start looking after my hair myself completely I dont think I'll want to part with the cash either. I've learnt so much here.
Exactly so....on top of that having to pay for touch-ups just think what you could do with all that extra cash. plus i'm moving into my newplace soon so i can't afford to splash out too much. I might just try wearing wigs that way my hair is protected underneath until , and i don't have to be in my head all the time until my hair regains length, this will save me so much money in the long run.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Den, I thought you were BCing again and almost passed out.:lol: You will probably still have enough hair to bun at shoulder length. I still love your hair.

Nanyanika

DDtexlaxd said:
Den, I thought you were BCing again and almost passed out.:lol: You will probably still have enough hair to bun at shoulder length. I still love your hair.
NOOOOO i'm not BCing, going natural none of that lol. i just want to remove the old ends from my texturized days. thanks for the compliment

keluric

londontresses said:
Well my parents are Caribbean (Jamaican, Antiguan/Dominican). To be honest most of the people I know say canerows - I think its a UK thing coz I notice in the US u tend to say cornrows...:)

I notice that Americans say cornrows too, I'm originally from Jamaica. I think it depends on the crops we harvested...

keluric

den1 said:
keluric, thank-you very much, for allowing me to view your scarf bun method, i really want to try this now, you have soo much thick pretty hair.

Thanks and you're welcome, I hope that works for you.

Nanyanika

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Just wondering if you ever tried to get the texturized parts corrected/fully relaxed?
Yes, i did last time i used SE relaxer, they are a lil straighter and much softer and manageable but i feel they are already damaged from my texturizer days, so its best to get rid of them and start a new.

londontresses

keluric said:
I notice that Americans say cornrows too, I'm originally from Jamaica. I think it depends on the crops we harvested...

My thoughts exactly...when you get down to it its the same thing....unfortunately.