Hip Length And Beyond. 2019 Challenge!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Look--> (Edited 1/5/19: Starting pictures on Page 3!!!!

HIP LENGTH AND BEYOND 2019 "CHALLENGE" IS IN SESSION!

:clap::yay: Lets do it!

Ok all you ladies that KNOW you can make it, show us what you got! This is a "give it all you got" challenge. That means no nonsense.

Do: protective style. Protective styles that pull on your edges is NOT ALLOWED. That goes for wigs combs too. No tight buns or braids allowed.

Do: moisturize and seal your hair at least once a week, especially the ends. I personally think the ends should be moisturized and sealed TWICE per week.

Do: share every length retention/ moisture retention method you know in this thread. We're a team. Team work makes the dream work!

Do NOT: Over trim. YOU ARE NOT permitted to trim more than twice in 2019 so get your trims done before the challenge. :supergrin::rofl:we trying to grow exceptionally long hair right?! So put those shears DOWN.

DO: TAKE lots of pictures!:morepics::morepics: :needpics:I want this thread to look like Jet Magazine. We building portfolios up in here this year! Starting pictures must be posted before January. I want to see more action, less talking. Show us more than you can tell us. :flahssssss:;). You must show us your hair every 1st of the month.

Let me know if I've missed anything. Lol this is my only challenge I've started since 2009 so I'm rusty.

Challenge starts January 1st 2019. Let's get in shape. Start taking your vitamins now that way they'll be good and lodged tight in your system prior to challenge. Say your prayers because we'll need Jesus for this blessing for sure.

Blessings to all you!! :grouphug:.

Oh, if a HL challenge was already started I'll delete this. Let me know please.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Don't you dare delete this thread and that cute post!

Hair state: Natural and unstraightened
Current length: Tailbone Length! :)
Current Style: 8 Braids in a Chignon Ponytail and placed in a baggie

Heat Straightened: September 2014 (4+ years ago)

Hair Plans for 2019:

I started falling in love with my hair again in January 2017 due to Queen Shea. Thus, I've been back on the hair horse for about 2 years. My hair is currently the longest that I've ever seen it. I will continue my four (4) favorite hair processes in 2019:

Hair Routine :

1. Whipped Shea butter
    • I slather whipped Shea butter on my braids from root to tip.
    • I use SCURL to keep my braids moist.
  2. No Comb Routine
    • My hair is finger detangled.
    • I may completely comb hair 1 to 2 times a year.
  3. Ends Routine
    • This is done before bed.
    • I wet the bottom 1/2 length of each braid with warm water.
    • I coat the wet hair with castor oil.
    • Pull braids up into bun at the top of my head and secure it with nylon knee-hi.
  4. Baggie 3.0
    • In the morning, I wet my ends and coat with castor oil.
    • I slather my ends with Shea butter.
    • I place my braids into a Chignon, in a ponytail where the ends are secured.
    • Then, I spray the length of the pony with my liquid 'baggie concoction'.
    • Cover hair with baggie and then cover with 2 nylon knee-highs.
Steps 1,2 and 3 were done in 2017 and 2018. I just re-added Step 4, my 3rd iteration of the Baggie Method, in late September of 2018.

Starting Photos:

Both photos were taken in November 2018.
The first one is of my un-stretched hair after I combed it out. It is clean and product free.
The second one is me stretching my braided hair. My braid is around whip length.

Shrinkage4 Nov 21 2018.JPG Nov2nd2018LengthCheck 11.JPG

Last edited:

Daina

HIP LENGTH 2019 "CHALLENGE" IS IN SESSION!
:clap::yay: Lets do it!

Ok all you ladies that KNOW you can make it, show us what you got! This is a "give it all you got" challenge. That means no nonsense.

Do: protective style. Protective styles that pull on your edges is NOT ALLOWED. That goes for wigs combs too. No tight buns or braids allowed.

Do: moisturize and seal your hair at least once a week, especially the ends. I personally think the ends should be moisturized and sealed TWICE per week.

Do: share every length retention/ moisture retention method you know in this thread. We're a team. Team work makes the dream work!

Do NOT: Over trim. YOU ARE NOT permitted to trim more than once in 2019 so get your trims done before the challenge. :supergrin::rofl:we trying to grow exceptionally long hair right?! So put those shears DOWN.

DO: TAKE lots of pictures!:morepics::morepics: :needpics:I want this thread to look like Jet Magazine. We building portfolios up in here this year! Starting pictures must be posted before January. I want to see more action, less talking. Show us more than you can tell us. :flahssssss:;).

Let me know if I've missed anything. Lol this is my only challenge I've started since 2009 so I'm rusty.

Challenge starts January 1st 2019. Let's get in shape. Start taking your vitamins now that way they'll be good and lodged tight in your system prior to challenge. Say your prayers because we'll need Jesus for this blessing for sure.

Blessings to all you!! :grouphug:.

Oh, if a HL challenge was already started I'll delete this. Let me know please.

Hmmm would like to join but can't commit to only 1 trim...I flat iron 2-3 times per year and trim about 1/4 inch each time. Can we have at least 2 trim passes? That way I can do a March/October time frame.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hmmm would like to join but can't commit to only 1 trim...I flat iron 2-3 times per year and trim about 1/4 inch each time. Can we have at least 2 trim passes? That way I can do a March/October time frame.
Hmmmm I dont know *scratches chin*....I be rigth back.

*Talks to self* "She seems to take very good care of her hair. Two trims in a year aint bad, but if you allow her to do it that means you gotta let everybody do it. Well if she trims its only 1/4 in each time c'mon you gotta let her in....you sure? Yeah I'm sure. Alright. ok ok ok break"

*Back*

Two trims are now permitted. Please join us we'd/I'd loved to have you!:2inlove: lol.

Last edited:

Daina

Hmmmm I dont know *scratches chin*....I be rigth back.

*Talks to self* "She seems to take very good care of her hair. Two trims in a year aint bad, but if you allow her to do it that means you gotta let everybody do it. Well if she trims its only 1/4 in each time c'mon you gotta let her in....you sure? Yeah I'm sure. Alright. ok ok ok break"

*Back*

Two trims are now permitted. Please join us we'd/I'd loved to have you!:2inlove: lol.

Thanks sis, I'm in!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I made HL already, but had a set back after the baby got here. So my goal is to reach HL again. Committing to monthly pics will be tough, but I'm in.

January 1 pic: I’m just beyond waist length with hip around 3 inches away.

Strategy:

1. Be consistent with my water and vitamin intake
  2. Wash weekly, incorporate protein monthly
  3. Protective style with large braids or twists in an updo
  4. Apply pomade to ends every other day
  5. Diet and exercise

Last edited:

Chicoro

Thanks for the encouragement because I needed it.

So......are you joining?:D

I don't know, yet.

It sounds fun, though! Let me think about it a little bit more. I got my seat front and center so in the least, I can cheer everyone on!

I think I am past hip length. I'm in the realm of WHIP, if not approaching or at tailbone length. Does having two strands at tailbone length count? That ain't a question! In my book, it does: 1 strand there is GOAL! But you didn't ask me all that.

I can only see my true length when I heat straighten my hair. I haven't straightened my hair or seen it straight since September 2014, which is almost 5 years ago. I don't plan to heat straighten until August/September 2019, if that. Hence, my hair dilemma.

PlanetCybertron

@PlanetCybertron C'MON. Yup I'm calling you too.

*Rubbing hands together anxiously*

Ooooooooo... lets gooooooo!

I’m well past HL, but I don’t care. Still gonna hold myself accountable. I’ll be heavily hovering in this thread, and a bit on the Hip, Tailbone, and Beyond.

I’m dumping every last tip, trick, technique, etc. I’m also going to continue to keep going with the flow. Don’t care if I’m co-washing consistently for a week, and then Next week stretching washes. Whatever my hair wants.

I’m doing the one product line only for 2019, so fiddling around with product choices won’t be a problem.

There’s two things I’ve been doing that I need to whip into shape:
1. Going to bed without my bonnet. I sleep on a satin pillowcase, but I need my hair contained.
2. Stop forcing braids (smaller ones like box braids). Too much manipulation. Doesn’t matter how much I like them, my hair doesn’t. Two big braids or one large braid are my best options. Single twists are okay, but not frequently.

Let’s do dis!!!!

Daina

I don't know, yet.

It sounds fun, though! Let me think about it a little bit more. I got my seat front and center so in the least, I can cheer everyone on!

I think I am past hip length. I'm in the realm of WHIP, if not approaching or at tailbone length. Does having two strands at tailbone length count? That ain't a question! In my book, it does: 1 strand there is GOAL! But you didn't ask me all that.

I can only see my true length when I heat straighten my hair. I haven't straightened my hair or seen it straight since September 2014, which is almost 5 years ago. I don't plan to heat straighten until August/September 2019, if that. Hence, my hair dilemma.

@Chicoro, I thought WHIP length was when you are between WL and HL? I thought you were closer to TL or beyond? I remember in the shea thread you had strands touching your thighs?

Chicoro

@Chicoro, I thought WHIP length was when you are between WL and HL? I thought you were closer to TL or beyond? I remember in the shea thread you had strands touching your thighs?

I have strands touching my thighs when seated, not when standing!:giggle: I have no idea what these acronyms mean, obviously. Yes, you are right, I am on my way to tailbone length!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I'm here... I'm good to go for this challenge except for the trim part. I usually trim 4 times per year. After 3 months I notice increased breakage. How about I commit to 2 trims and not tell you about the other two? :look:
Lol Ok! I'll add you :flahssssss:. The challenge wouldn't be the same without you. Two trims it is!:drunk:

Hey question: I'm curious, what causes the breakage if you PS your ends. I'm assuming that you PS most of the time.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I don't know, yet.

Ok you have a month to think about it :sneakyhug:. And you have earned your rightful position as the official LHCF cheerleader for sure :flowers:. I don't want to impose, but since your have earned your cheerleadership and all, would you also be the thread' s picture enforcer? :lachen:"rent's due!!:bat:"

It sounds like you're knocking on HL's door already to me.