Hip Length And Beyond. 2019 Challenge!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
*Rubbing hands together anxiously*

Ooooooooo... lets gooooooo!

I’m well past HL, but I don’t care. Still gonna hold myself accountable. I’ll be heavily hovering in this thread, and a bit on the Hip, Tailbone, and Beyond.

I’m dumping every last tip, trick, technique, etc. I’m also going to continue to keep going with the flow. Don’t care if I’m co-washing consistently for a week, and then Next week stretching washes. Whatever my hair wants.

I’m doing the one product line only for 2019, so fiddling around with product choices won’t be a problem.

There’s two things I’ve been doing that I need to whip into shape:
1. Going to bed without my bonnet. I sleep on a satin pillowcase, but I need my hair contained.
2. Stop forcing braids (smaller ones like box braids). Too much manipulation. Doesn’t matter how much I like them, my hair doesn’t. Two big braids or one large braid are my best options. Single twists are okay, but not frequently.

Let’s do dis!!!!
Someone is in this to WIN THIS! *high kick ballerina styles*
:clap:

Welcome to the main stage! You know what to do from here on out. Get that bonnet missy. We don't play games round here. :smirk:

:grouphug2:So glad to have you!

snoop

Lol Ok! I'll add you :flahssssss:. The challenge wouldn't be the same without you. Two trims it is!:drunk:

Hey question: I'm curious, what causes the breakage if you PS your ends. I'm assuming that you PS most of the time.

I do protective style, but I think that it's just regular wear and tear from washing, styling, etc. I'm not very gentle when I take my twists out, especially at my ends, so that's probably where the worst damage is coming from. By the 3rd month my ends thin out. I don't actually trim that much. In theory it's about an inch but it's mostly the scraggly ends, so it's probably more like a dusting. These are the ends that usually catch up on each other and make detangling difficult after a while. Don't worry, I don't actively try to cut length.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I do protective style, but I think that it's just regular wear and tear from washing, styling, etc. I'm not very gentle when I take my twists out, especially at my ends, so that's probably where the worst damage is coming from. By the 3rd month my ends thin out. I don't actually trim that much. In theory it's about an inch but it's mostly the scraggly ends, so it's probably more like a dusting. These are the ends that usually catch up on each other and make detangling difficult after a while. Don't worry, I don't actively try to cut length.
Thank you I figured these were the reasons....all except the twists part. Twists can be a pain to take down sometimes so I get it.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Ok you have a month to think about it :sneakyhug:. And you have earned your rightful position as the official LHCF cheerleader for sure :flowers:. I don't want to impose, but since your have earned your cheerleadership and all, would you also be the thread' s picture enforcer? :lachen:"rent's due!!:bat:"

It sounds like you're knocking on HL's door already to me.

Actually, I'm at and past tailbone length! I made my official and formal announcement in the Shea butter regimen thread. BUT the caveat is that I have scraggly strands at that length. The bulk or majority of my hair is not there. So, technically some parts of my hair can rightfully participate in this HL challenge.

Regarding enforcement, I have found if people have fun in a thread and if they feel safe and appreciated, they will post pictures on their own accord. Safe is defined here as not having judgment and genuinely and authentically welcoming and accepting people.

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Actually, I'm at and past tailbone length! I made my official and formal announcement in the Shea butter regimen thread. BUT the caveat is to have scraggly strands at that length. The bulk or majority of my hair is not there. So, technically some parts of my hair can rightfully participate in this HL challenge.

Regarding enforcement, I have found if people have fun in a thread and if they feel safe and appreciated, they will post pictures on their own accord. Safe is defined here as not having judgment and genuinely and authentically welcoming and accepting people.
To the latter: of course, you know I meant that in a jokingly/fun, encouraging, non judgement sorta way:greedy:. Not that I have to emphasize that at all, but ya never know. Speaking of exceptance...pictures are highly excepted:grinwink:. We're here to have fun.

FoxxyLocs

Idk what length I am now. Maybe full TBL? I haven't had my hair pressed since Jan or Feb. I'm planning to get it straightened and trimmed either this month or next month, so I'll post a pic then.

I don't really have a length goal for next year either. Just plan to maintain wherever I am.

This past year my regimen has been mostly wash and go's. I co wash every 1-2 weeks and wear my hair down or in a pony until my next wash day. I've been loving the simplicity.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Idk what length I am now. Maybe full TBL? I haven't had my hair pressed since Jan or Feb. I'm planning to get it straightened and trimmed either this month or next month, so I'll post a pic then.

I don't really have a length goal for next year either. Just plan to maintain wherever I am.

This past year my regimen has been mostly wash and go's. I co wash every 1-2 weeks and wear my hair down or in a pony until my next wash day. I've been loving the simplicity.
This is awesome! We're delighted to have you join us. :clap:. Swingin hair sista!

PlanetCybertron

Feel like I should just go ahead and relax around New Years to get it out the way for next year. Finals are over, bills are caught up and paid, and I can breathe and spend my hard earned money on products, like the PJ I proudfully am. I’m seriously stuck between which product line to stick with for the challenge. I’m also coming to terms with the fact that I’m still going to buy other products. Can’t help it.

I took the Use up your stash challenge a bit too seriously, and ran out of literally everything. Even the sample packets of stuff you get in relaxer kits that I save for no reason. Bought some 24 ounce conditioner from Costco, but I’m well aware conditioner doesn’t last more than 2-3 weeks when I buy it.

Bekura Beauty or Bask and Bloom Essentials.

Bask and bloom is noticeably cheaper, but Bekura has larger amounts of products. And I’m legit dying to use that YAM nectar deep conditioner. I’m two breaths away from buying it right here and now. Bask and Bloom has that starter kit with 5 products for 60$, all decent sizes. That’s what’s drawing me to it. Decent price for months worth of products. If I go with Bekura I’m looking at 200$. Minimum. Idk.

FoxxyLocs

I haven't deep conditioned in about 6 months. There was a time when I DC'd weekly, then every 2 weeks. Now that my hair is in better shape, co-washes are working just fine. My braid outs and twist outs are so soft now.

I don't recommend cutting out DC's if your hair feels dry, but if you have good hydration it might be ok to cut back.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I’d like to join but I’m known to always cut my hair :look: but that is due to the tangling and knots I usually deal with. Since I just trimmed last week and I plan to keep my hair stretched via blow drying. I’m hoping it will help to eliminate the ssk’s. I keep my hair in a protective style a majority of the time since I can’t be bothered and it’s easier to deal with that way. I wear twists a lot.

Here’s a starting pic. I will not be straightening my hair for a while after this, at least by myself cause I can’t really get my hair really straight.

40490E66-93A2-4A17-BD21-03FF538DFBA2.jpeg

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@flyygirlll2 ,
I'd say in your posted photo, post #45, you are at waist length!!!!!

You are so sweet :2inlove: At first I was like nah... but I didn’t factor in that my hair still had shrinkage after straightening it. I think I was just sitting at WL if my hair was really straight. Now I’m not sure since I did trim a little bit off and my hair has reverted quite a bit. I think I’m right above WL now after the trim.

Natural-K

@Natural-K , get in here Girl!
Hey! Thanks for the tag. I'm in. I was looking at photos from last December compared to this Wednesday and I'm not impressed. To be fair last Dec was flat ironed hair compared to Weds blow dry. I'm hoping to get to tailbone length by the end of next Dec.

I'm currently in braids. This is my first time with cornrolls as part of the style. I really like how they turned out but they are really tight in a few places at the front. Two days out and I'm still feeling it. So for the sake of my edges I don't know if I'll do this again or at least I'll insist on them not being too tight.

I plan to keep them in 6-8 weeks. I'll post pics of my hair when I take them out. I'll probably join @faithVA's twist braids and bun challenge as well. As much as I love my look with these braids and the goddess locs I did I think my hair will be better off protected and without extensions and tight braids. Plus I'm very impressed with the you tuber with thigh length twists. We shall see.

long.hair.dont.care

Joining!

I was MBL last I checked (early November), I'm assuming I'm still there. I would post a picture, but I'm having issues uploading with my phone. But I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

My plan to get to HL = sticking to the crown and glory method, but with a twist: using crochet hair.

I moisturize and seal with water and areosol canned olive oil, or sometimes Shea butter every other day, if not everyday. I will massage my scalp and consume silica regularly too.

Dee Raven

I would like to join this challenge. I've spent the last year doing the healthy ends challenge, and I'm pretty happy with the state of my ends, so I'd like to start focusing again on length. There are a couple of youtubers that are really making me want to go for classic length (straight), we'll see where it sits in a wash and go. Right now I'm at hip length, I think. I'll know for sure when I straighten and trim at the beginning of January. I think the length is about 9 - 10 inches away, so for this year I'd like to get about an inch below TBL.

LovingLady

I would like to join. I'm at waist length but my twists are above my collar bone when wet, my goal is APL twist. Some of the things I believe that are hindering my growth is the amount of time a week I moisturize (or don't) and how I take down my twist. I'm going to increase the amount to two (because of this challenge) and use aloe vera to untwist my hair.

I’m joining - my current hair muse is indigenous_strandz on YT (posted below)
I’ll be back with pics and more info on my hair next week (after a trim!)...
Thanks for posting her channel. I got some great tips from her.

SmilingElephant

Come on in here lady :yep:

Okay...I'm going to join. I was trying to post pics but apparently the new setup has made it nearly impossible to share pics directly to the board. :look:

Let's try again (I apologize if these come out HUGE :( ), I am trying to get my hair back to this; it fell out over the Summer due to stress from school, other projects, as well as attempting to go vegan:

This is what it looked like over the Summer when I realized how short my hair looked without a haircut, yes tears were shed :nono: :

This is how my hair looks now:

It is getting back thicker. I am at Waistlength, more on the Whip length side, but I want to grow a solid 3-5 inches back in length in 2019.

I will be doing the following to grow my hair back, some of this I am already doing which is why my hair is recovering:
-Co-washing about 3 times a week
-Rice Water treatments 1-2 times a Month
-Deep Condition every week.
-JBCO to scalp 1-2 times a week
-HSN vitamins every night
-Water, Water, Water!!! :lick: Keeping hydrated is everything!
-Wear hair in a bun in some shape or form 85% of the time. Well moisturized buns have been my biggest "Secret" all these years to growing my hair long :yep:

I look forward to surpassing my hair goals in 2019! My length goal is just under Hip Length.

beauti

Hi ladies! I straightened my hair for the holidays so I'm posting my starting pic and stats

natural
starting length: WL
short term goal: WHIP
long term goal: HL
Bonus: TBL

For the new year I need to stay consistent with my regimen.

Keep hair in stretched styles (braids or twists under wigs), moisturize frequently.

Deep condition WEEKLY until short term goal is achieved then go from there.

No loose styles, NO WASH'N'GO until short term goal is achieved :nono:

Basically keep hair hidden for majority of 2019. I have been very lax the past few months and therefore haven't retained much length. I should already be WHIP length right now smh. Will get it together for the new year!

imageedit_1_2829503677.jpg