Hip Length And Beyond. 2019 Challenge!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thank you, Chicoro. :blush2:

Yes, I do use Shea butter! I've been using it off and on for over 5 years. I've mixed it with oils based on Nap85's recipes. I love love it for my wearable two-strand twists style. For my wash and gos, buns, and single braids, I alternate using leave-in & shea butter mix, leave-in & oil, and leave-in & gel. I've been lurking in the Shea butter thread and recently purchased some of @ElevatedEnergy recommendations for my next mix. I'll be sure to comment over there when I do.

Nah, ah, Girl. You need to come over there NOW!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thank you, Chicoro. :blush2:

Yes, I do use Shea butter! I've been using it off and on for over 5 years. I've mixed it with oils based on Nap85's recipes. I love love it for my wearable two-strand twists style. For my wash and gos, buns, and single braids, I alternate using leave-in & shea butter mix, leave-in & oil, and leave-in & gel. I've been lurking in the Shea butter thread and recently purchased some of @ElevatedEnergy recommendations for my next mix. I'll be sure to comment over there when I do.

YAY!!!! I'd love to hear about the outcome. Let me shimmie on over to the Shea thread to see whats poppin. :abducted:

Your hair is so pretty!!!

SmilingElephant

@I Am So Blessed I have been using the Walmart brand of HSN vitamins, the pink capsules in the clear bottle. I have noticed a difference with them in my hair, I need to buy more because I recently ran out. I used to use the Mielle Organics vitamins, but the Spring Valley vites work just as well for me.

I also made a blend of oils that I use with JBCO, EVOO, EVCO, and Avocado oil.

And I use Rice Water in a spray bottle mixed with aloe vera juice. My pics do not do justice to the way my hair has come back to life! It feels so lush and "chunky". I have been using all of this for the past 90 days (at least:look: ) I don't know if this all qualifies as growth aides.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
@I Am So Blessed I have been using the Walmart brand of HSN vitamins, the pink capsules in the clear bottle. I have noticed a difference with them in my hair, I need to buy more because I recently ran out. I used to use the Mielle Organics vitamins, but the Spring Valley vites work just as well for me.

I also made a blend of oils that I use with JBCO, EVOO, EVCO, and Avocado oil.

And I use Rice Water in a spray bottle mixed with aloe vera juice. My pics do not do justice to the way my hair has come back to life! It feels so lush and "chunky". I have been using all of this for the past 90 days (at least:look: ) I don't know if this all qualifies as growth aides.
Yay!! I'm so glad that your having success with those vitamins. Yeah it's a growth aid in my book. It aided in your growth is a profound way. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your hair goals accomplished.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
A question for all you ladies with all this length!!

DO Y'ALL BELEIVE THAT GROWING YOUR HAIR TO ITS CURRENT LENGTH WAS EASY?

If yes: why? If no: Why?

I'll go first. I say YES!!! Because all I need to do is detangle, moisturize, leave it alone, tuck away my ends and have patience.

What say you?

PlanetCybertron

I wouldnt say it’s all easy.
Retaining length is easy, because I now know what to do to retain that length.

When it comes to daily maintenance it’s also a bit more manageable since I go for about a week with my hair protected.

The areas of my regimen and growing my hair out in general that aren’t really easy is dealing with such a fine texture. The whole nature of my hair makes it extremely fragile, so I do have to take extra care and precautions, and while I still have a lot of room to improve, and eventually start trimming and maintaining, I’m going in the right direction, which is all I can ask for.

SmilingElephant

I'll go first. I say YES!!! Because all I need to do is detangle, moisturize, leave it alone, tuck away my ends and have patience.

What say you?

This is a really good question, Sis! :yep: Prior to the events of last year, I would instantly say that I would think it's easy to grow my hair to the length that it is now because I have done it about 2-3 times already. But due to the circumstances of Fall 2018...GURL! I was so scared that my hair was not going to bounce back from the state it was in! I had NEVER seen my hair like that since when it fell out in high school in 2004! (Bad combo of a stylist bleaching me blonde and relaxing my hair soon after) I was so afraid my fluffy, curly fro was not gonna come back!

However, thanks to me getting back to my regular regimen and taking the necessary supplements, my hair has really surprised me! I learned to not take my hair for granted, and I am grateful for the length that it is. Although I am trying to grow my hair to HL/TBL, I am enjoying my current MBL/WL length and the curls and shrinkage that comes with it. :)

Fotchygirl

A low tree branch yanked me up by the bun today and I lost a good clump of hair trying to get free. :cry3:

Anyway, just checking in! I think my hair is finally starting to retain length again. Hard to tell though. Yesterday was wash day. I’ve been experimenting with layering products for the last couple of weeks. I had gotten lazy and was just using a leave in for a while there. Do you all use the loc method? I got my Melanin Haircare order so I’m now using those products on top of my leave in.
View attachment 443129
A moment of silence!

Chicoro

What say you?

NO! But with a caveat. ONCE I figured out what to do, it became and is easy. The hard part is finding what works. I first figured out how to grow my hair to my waist and that took years. It took me another 5 to 7 years, after that, to figure out how to grow my hair beyond my waist, past my hips and now past my tailbone with a repeatable process, based on understanding and knowledge. I think I got it, now!

PlanetCybertron

Y'all are so nice for not calling me out for not posting a picture lately. I need another length check picture to relace my avatar. I will post one tomorrow night.

Where, where, where it’s at tho?
Wh-wh-wh-whaaa...where it’s at tho?

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

What say you?

Finding the products and routine that worked for me was hard. Once I figured that out, growing to hip was easy .

@snoop My hair grows a little faster than average.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Six months worth of growth?????? I'm thankful to the Lord. (I can't fit these clothes anymore)

This was my hair on my last trim on September 21st 2018. (I put on the same clothes tonight to get an accurate visual).

20190402_191359.jpg

And here is my hair (pics below) tonight after I took town my twists. *I took down my twists and changed out of my pajamas to take this picture .*
20190402_191038.jpg 20190402_190817.jpg 20190402_190421.jpg 20190402_184627.jpg

I was Waist Length and now I think I'm HL. What do y'all say?

faithVA

Six months worth of growth?????? I'm thankful to the Lord. (I can't fit these clothes anymore)

This was my hair on my last trim on September 21st 2018. (I put on the same clothes tonight to get an accurate visual).

View attachment 445027

And here is my hair (pics below) tonight after I took town my twists. *I took down my twists and changed out of my pajamas to take this picture .*
View attachment 445029 View attachment 445031 View attachment 445033 View attachment 445035

That's some nice growth.

Chicoro

View attachment 445027

View attachment 445029 View attachment 445031 View attachment 445033 View attachment 445035

Hmm... I see 5 inches gained and tailbone length!

snoop

View attachment 445027

That's amazing! Congrats!!! :bouncy:

PlanetCybertron

View attachment 445027

Actually about a good inch PASSED hip length!!
Yaaaassssss Hunnyyyy!!!!
:toocool::toocool:

PlanetCybertron

How's everyone doing? Who's closer to their goal? Anymore progress pics...?*thirsty* :beer2:

I posted this in the Shea Growth thread, but since I’m in this challange too, I’m gonna contribute more.
Update:

So first and foremost here is my current length:
This picture was take. After a full wash day, and detangling.

I had a bunch of exams and assignments back to back for about 3 weeks, and my husband and I finally moved to our new place and got everything paid up, and my hair was doing something weird, and became very compressed and tangled, so I would just spray it with some water, get it going in one direction and bun it up. This was my go-to style for 3-4 weeks:

You can see it in my lighter parts, they look stiff and crunchy. Mostly because they were.

Products for wash day:
•Shampoo: Nizoral Shampoo for Dandruff (roots only)
•Conditioner: Aussie 3 min miracle (this conditioner has no rival in melting tangles effortlessly)
•Deep Condition: was needing a hard protein treatment to fill in the gaps of my longer lengths so I blended one egg with some of my SM MH leave-in, left it on under a heat cap for 35 mins, and rinsed.
Leave in: SM JBCO, my last remaining bit of Shea Butter :cry:

I can’t really see a difference (very small one in my photos), but my measuring tape now says 35.5 inches. So I’ll take that as a victory.

As a plus my ponytails now come to BCL

:yay:

My hair is now up in 4 braids/plaits, and next week I will be specifically looking for a different line to try altogether. My hair seems to not be responding well to SM products anymore. It’s either Mielle Organics, Oyin, or DevaCurl. I’m leaning more towards Oyin just because most of their products always do my hair good.

As far as Shea Butter I will be purchasing a new tub next week as well. And probably adding in some Coco Butter as well.