Hip Length (HL) 2013 Challenge!!

tamm

I know I check this thread everyday for an update and there aren't any!!! I guess we are meditating our way to HL, we need silence :grin:

tamm

So I took out my twists (I will NEVER wear these again,they are soooooo heavy) and did a deep condition with ORS Olive Oil Masque and let it airdry stretched. I did an early length check, then its going into cornrows for the next three weeks.

Attachments

• tn0.jpg
    tn0.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 107
  • tn 1.jpg
    tn 1.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 108

Lucia

So I took out my twists (I will NEVER wear these again,they are soooooo heavy) and did a deep condition with ORS Olive Oil Masque and let it airdry stretched. I did an early length check, then its going into cornrows for the next three weeks.

tamm
Looks like your grazing HL, if ou sneeze you'll be there. :lol:

Lucia

Protein DC with Aubrey GPB, rinsed with HSR, sealed with coconut oil, HSR, whipped shea
4 braids. I'm going back to my baggie buns for day, and weekly DC treatments. I've been wearing my hair out too much, I need to PS to get to goal this year.
I've been slacking on my vitamins, getting back on track with that too.

marta9227

I'm going back to my baggie buns for day, and weekly DC treatments. I've been wearing my hair out too much, I need to PS to get to goal this year.

I was contemplating going back to baggy buns for day too! I did that the first half of 2012 and had phenomenal retention. Then I wore my hair out all over the place the second half of the year with decent retention at best. I even wore it predominantly straight for the past 3 or 4 months, so I'm going to have to get Navy Seal about it to hit this goal. Definitely doing the weekly DC, I had got down to once a month on that!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

marta9227

I think we're crazy trying to grow to HL. :-/

But yet I'm still soooooo excited!!!! LOL

I still can't believe I'm in this challenge with a realistic chance of achieving that goal! I started on this board a couple years ago and thought if I could just make it to APL... Those women with hair as long as ours is now, well that just seemed ridiculously impossible to me, and now I'm going for hip length, and wondering if that will be long enough for me!

marta9227

I've gotta say this too. I started at shoulder length and couldn't even imagine bsl on me because I'm an inch shy of 6 ft tall! So hip length is a LOT of hair lol!

tamm

Hey Marta9227, I am 6ft (some argue me down that I am taller, but anyhoooo) that is why I am going to hip length and stopping there because that is A LOT of hair. Waist length is ridiculous too (because I have a long torso), but I love it!!!!!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Woowie! Shout out to all my tall ladies!! I am 5'9 & recently discovered that WL was not enough for me so HL it is. I'm sure that has to be enough. I'm certain. *evil grin*

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Hola Ladies. Feeling kinda excited tonight. I'm about to do a scalp scrub and an overnight DC. I was just thinking, we're only a month and a half into this year. You know what that means? Plenty 'o time to reach HL. I'm excited because, even tho I've been @ HL before, this is gonna be so much sweeter with natural thickness from root to tip. I can't WAIT to feel it. My transitioning hair felt like a ton of hair. This is gonna feel even thicker and heavier. :drunk:

I've been in twists for the past week or so, retwisting as needed. I've been bunning my ends and am going to go back to baggy bunning my ends. So far, so good. Crossing into mbl has me all :spinning:. I guess my next short term goal is April 19th. I will have 24 months of natural hair then. Sweet!

Lucia

Hola Ladies. Feeling kinda excited tonight. I'm about to do a scalp scrub and an overnight DC. I was just thinking, we're only a month and a half into this year. You know what that means? Plenty 'o time to reach HL. I'm excited because, even tho I've been @ HL before, this is gonna be so much sweeter with natural thickness from root to tip. I can't WAIT to feel it. My transitioning hair felt like a ton of hair. This is gonna feel even thicker and heavier. :drunk:

I've been in twists for the past week or so, retwisting as needed. I've been bunning my ends and am going to go back to baggy bunning my ends. So far, so good. Crossing into mbl has me all :spinning:. I guess my next short term goal is April 19th. I will have 24 months of natural hair then. Sweet!

NJoy
If anyone can get to HL in record time it's you, and I can't wait to see the update pics along the way. Congratz on MBL.

Last edited:

Lucia

Hi tall ladies :wave: checking in at 5'9
I got my length on lock down. :lol:
Well I don't have to ban my flat iron b/c my maxiglide was broken while I was traveling. So no heat for me for a while.

marta9227

NJoy what's the growth benefit with the scalp scrub? Basically anything you're doing I want to do too, lol!

tamm

On Sunday I installed some cornrows with weave and this is my protective style for the next 2-3 weeks. I am at WHIP length now and ladies let me tell youuuuuuuuuuu, I WILL NOT be able to wear these braids with weave ever again!!!!! I had to braid these all the way down to my pants (you know the shanae-nae look :lachen:, so they are going in a bun!) just to go past my hair! So when ya'll get hip length and want some cornrows beware. Ohh and you will have bushy ends because you cant dip the weave in hot water (because your ends will boil :perplexed) or burn the ends because your hair is literally right there. But I NEVER EVER in my life thought my hair would be too long to add extensions too, THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! :grin: (also I got asked "why did you make your braids so long?", when I told them why the person looked at me like I had something crazy on my face:nono:) I am going to love this long hair you guys:up:.

Jewell

On Sunday I installed some cornrows with weave and this is my protective style for the next 2-3 weeks. I am at WHIP length now and ladies let me tell youuuuuuuuuuu, I WILL NOT be able to wear these braids with weave ever again!!!!! I had to braid these all the way down to my pants (you know the shanae-nae look :lachen:, so they are going in a bun!) just to go past my hair! So when ya'll get hip length and want some cornrows beware. Ohh and you will have bushy ends because you cant dip the weave in hot water (because your ends will boil :perplexed) or burn the ends because your hair is literally right there. But I NEVER EVER in my life thought my hair would be too long to add extensions too, THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! :grin: (also I got asked "why did you make your braids so long?", when I told them why the person looked at me like I had something crazy on my face:nono:) I am going to love this long hair you guys:up:.

I know how you feel! I no longer wear twists n braids with extensions cuz they are too much work, and TOO HEAVY. Ive had to braid them down to my waist since 2004 when my hair has been at its longest. But im very short and petite at 5'2" (think Jada Pinkett Smith's size, though she is shorter than me). I still want HL+ hair though...the amt of hair will not be enough for me so I plan to keep growing far longer just for shock, awe, and the helluvit! A black woman with REAL thigh length hair she grew by hard work, diligence, and patience will be a lovely sight to behold. Ive never seen it IRL except for with locs
though she is shorter than me). Though Im short I still want HL+

Last edited:

Jewell

^^^^ Yummy!
I should be WHip at my next relaxer in a couple of months. Can't wait!!

GIRL! Yummy indeed! I hope to be at WHIP in April for my 5 month TU or I might wait til May (6 mos)...but prolly not cuz the NG is poppin already! Cant wait to see your next update/length comparison shot. Lawd knows I have let my fotki fall off the deep end...I hope to get it bck on track soon and will take & save pics in the meantime.

NJoy Please tell us how you like the scalp scrub. Im thinking of trying one
by Bain de Terre, or making one myself and adding Ayurvedic powders and EO's to it (brown sugar, black walnut shells (finely crushed) or kosher salt as the exfoliant). Off to do a black henna treatment while my baby is sleeping. Its cold n rainy out...perfect for treating the hair and scalp while reading or watching a good show. Will rinse and DC in 6 hrs.

HHG Ladies!!

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy what's the growth benefit with the scalp scrub? Basically anything you're doing I want to do too, lol!

@marta9227

I scalp wash to keep it clean but I do a scalp scrub periodically to exfoliate my scalp. Especially because I regularly put oils on my scalp. More info in my response to Jewell below. Also planning to update my blog with a post on my scrub/treatment.

GIRL! Yummy indeed! I hope to be at WHIP in April for my 5 month TU or I might wait til May (6 mos)...but prolly not cuz the NG is poppin already! Cant wait to see your next update/length comparison shot. Lawd knows I have let my fotki fall off the deep end...I hope to get it bck on track soon and will take & save pics in the meantime.

@NJoy Please tell us how you like the scalp scrub. Im thinking of trying one
by Bain de Terre, or making one myself and adding Ayurvedic powders and EO's to it (brown sugar, black walnut shells (finely crushed) or kosher salt as the exfoliant). Off to do a black henna treatment while my baby is sleeping. Its cold n rainy out...perfect for treating the hair and scalp while reading or watching a good show. Will rinse and DC in 6 hrs.

HHG Ladies!!

@Jewell

I make my own using a brown sugar and olive oil base with ayurvedic and essential oils. It's a treatment/scrub actually. I add the herbs and stimulants so that it serves a dual purpose. End result is a clean, tingling, exfoliated scalp. :lick:

Last edited:

tamm

Well....im 5'8 and a quarter. Does that make me tall? Lol

*feelin like a pipsqueak*

Yes ma'am welcome to the tall people club!!

Jewell I just wrote a post about this a couple of pages back, I put in senegalese twists (NEVER AGAIN). They were so heavy because I had to braid them all the way past my butt so I could curl the ends with rods. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! I had planned on doing box braids after I took the twists out, chilllleee I changed my mind real fast after the first week of those twists. I also think you will be gorgeous with whatever length of hair you want to grow it to no matter your height, but get ready for the stank faces hontteyy :yep:

Last edited:

Lucia

Cant wait to have that "problem" Next time just braid your own hair like Longhairdontcare2011 does or did without weave, it's easier and healthier once your hair hits a certain length.

Last edited:

Lucia

tamm
Next time just braid your own hair like Longhairdontcare2011 on YT does without weave. It's easier and healthier once your hair hits a certain length.Also a perk is that people won't even have to ask if you braids are real, they will see that it's all yours. :grin:
doble post, the screen skipped :drunk:

Last edited: