Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy

:bighug:
Sis, I totally understand. I think it's good that you're working through these feelings instead of giving in to the pressure of ignoring or minimizing these uncomfortable thoughts. I'm sure you're going to emerge on the other side feeling great about things. It takes certain characteristics to complete a Harvard degree and to go on to pursue graduate education. You've got what it takes to be as successful as you dream to be! :) :sneakyhug:

Many thanks. This is really helpful.

I'm thinking and feeling better as the days go by. At least I can be real with myself about why the event affected me that way. I need to focus on prioritizing a peaceful, patient journey to a place that makes sense for me. I'm going to have to get more disciplined and "selfish." I'm treating the experience as a nudge. I'm just so thankful for support and second chances. And reflection.

Daina

Installed my first set of twists yesterday! It took me 3 hours and they are a mix of small and medium. I pulled them back into a single french braid with the ends tucked. Hoping to keep them in for 2 weeks. Trying to find different ways to style them to wear to work and church. Hopefully hubby won't complain too much when he sees them.

I just needed something different where I could "ignore" my hair for awhile if that makes sense....I will be trimming off another 4 inches between now and the end of the year to remove the remaining damage on my ends. This will keep me between MBL and WL most of this year. Hoping to use all of 2018 to hit my goal of HL stretched.

Attachments

• 20170325_094022.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 36

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Installed my first set of twists yesterday! It took me 3 hours and they are a mix of small and medium. I pulled them back into a single french braid with the ends tucked. Hoping to keep them in for 2 weeks. Trying to find different ways to style them to wear to work and church. Hopefully hubby won't complain too much when he sees them.

I just needed something different where I could "ignore" my hair for awhile if that makes sense....I will be trimming off another 4 inches between now and the end of the year to remove the remaining damage on my ends. This will keep me between MBL and WL most of this year. Hoping to use all of 2018 to hit my goal of HL stretched.

Nice job!

beauti

@YvetteWithJoy I like the French braid!

Update: I wore my wash and go the entire week. I wore it in a bun and puff the past few days. Today is wash day and I'm currently sitting under the dryer with my dc. I'm gonna need to clip my ends, been putting it off a few weeks now. I think I will s&d this evening and wait for an actual trim when I straighten in June.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I like the French braid!

Update: I wore my wash and go the entire week. I wore it in a bun and puff the past few days. Today is wash day and I'm currently sitting under the dryer with my dc. I'm gonna need to clip my ends, been putting it off a few weeks now. I think I will s&d this evening and wait for an actual trim when I straighten in June.

I love @Daina's French braid, too! Protective and elegant at the same time. :yep:

Daina

Ladies, my hair seems to be going through a phase. It's not retaining moisture like it did before and some of my tried and trues are no longer working. My moisture issues started when black hair color was left on my hair too long since then I've been struggling to get the balance back. Any ultra moisturizing DC's you can recommend? Here's what I currently have/had that doesn't seemto be working:
*Joico MRB
*SM Manuka Honey masque
*Vatika Black Seed hair masque
*Macadamia Natural Oil deep conditioner

Thanks!

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Ladies, my hair seems to be going through a phase. It's not retaining moisture like it did before and some of my tried and trues are no longer working. My moisture issues started when black hair color was left on my hair too long since then I've been struggling to get the balance back. Any ultra moisturizing DC's you can recommend? Here's what I currently have/had that doesn't seemto be working:
*Joico MRB
*SM Manuka Honey masque

Thanks!

APB Ultra Conditioning Soufflé
APB Pumpkin Seed Mask

There's a thread in the vendor forum with reviews. These two are the ones my hair responds well to.

faithVA

*Joico MRB
*SM Manuka Honey masque

Thanks!
It is very probable that the color has made your hair high porosity. You may want to try methods high porosity ladies use. You may need weekly protein to try to close up holes in the cuticle.

Lucia

*Joico MRB
*SM Manuka Honey masque

Thanks!

Try Roux porosity control shampoo and conditioner that can fix any color perm relaxer or hair processing problem even over-bleaching your hair. That and heavy protein like aphogee 2 step use heat with this works better it needs to dry hard in your hair to work.

Use a bonet dryer or blow dryer then followed by their balancing conditioner to replace the moisture balance. I would also suggest using their pro-vitamin leave in spray it has light oils light silicone vitamins light protein and amino acids that will help rebuild your hair. Or you could use Infusium 23 but that doesn't have oils or protein in it.

The problem is that even if you use the most moisturizing DC your hairs cuticles are so open the moisture will go in as fast as it leaves. So you have to fix both the moisture and the protein balance along with pH which Roux will and aphogee will do, then you're hair can retain moisture again.

HTH

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/deman...fn1=brand&prefv1=APHOGE&brandLandingPage=true

http://www.sallybeauty.com/protein-hair-treatment/APHOGE4,default,pd.html

Last edited:

Daina

It is very probable that the color has made your hair high porosity. You may want to try methods high porosity ladies use. You may need weekly protein to try to close up holes in the cuticle.

Never thought about the porosity issues. I've used Komaza Protein but thought it was too much and I needed to go harder on the moisture. Will try my 2-step that I have on hand.

Daina

Try Roux porosity control shampoo and conditioner that can fix any color perm relaxer or hair processing problem even over-bleaching your hair. That and heavy protein like aphogee 2 step use heat with this works better it needs to dry hard in your hair to work.

Use a bonet dryer or blow dryer then followed by their balancing conditioner to replace the moisture balance. I would also suggest using their pro-vitamin leave in spray it has light oils light silicone vitamins light protein and amino acids that will help rebuild your hair. Or you could use Infusium 23 but that doesn't have oils or protein in it.

The problem is that even if you use the most moisturizing DC your hairs cuticles are so open the moisture will go in as fast as it leaves. So you have to fix both the moisture and he protein balance along with pH which Roux will and aphogee will do them you're hair can retain moisture again.

HTH

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/deman...fn1=brand&prefv1=APHOGE&brandLandingPage=true

http://www.sallybeauty.com/protein-hair-treatment/APHOGE4,default,pd.html

@Lucia, thank you! Does Sally's sell the Roux as well? I have twists in right now but will get some Roux and also do the Aphogee as well.

Lucia

@Lucia, thank you! Does Sally's sell the Roux as well? I have twists in right now but will get some Roux and also do the Aphogee as well.

I suggest using the 2-step first, then follow that up with roux conditioner under a cap with heat if you can. It takes a couple of treatments and weeks to fix the issue, but you will feel a difference in your hair. The roux you can use after every shampoo or as your dc.

Sally's and Amazon have roux but the line now only has porosity control conditioner I don't know what happened with the shampoo but the treatment is the conditioner anayways you don't need the shampoo, so any moisturizing shampoo you like that's sulfate free will do.

Make sure you follow the directions especially with the Aphogee 2- step protein, btw it stinks to high heaven but it works, once your hair has hardened into a helmet, don't try to touch or move your hair, let it cool for a couple of minutes then rinse once your hair starts to soften again then you can run your hands through it.

*You must use the balancing conditioner afterwards (that's part 2 of the 2 step) or your hair will stay slightly hard and brittle, the balancing conditioner does just what it says it brings that moisture back into the hair.
It may seem a little higher priced but you can only use it once every 6 weeks, because it's a heavy protein treatment, now if you want lighter protein you can use whenever they have the 2 m reconstructor or the spray leave in, you can also use the balancing conditioner whenever you want too. those light proteins won't fix your issue, they're maintenance after issues are solved. Aphogee was one of my first and best products that did wonders for my hair. It's one of the few products I've stuck with long term because they haven't changed it. Hth

http://www.sallybeauty.com/porosity...pc-_-keyword&gclid=COHS0IHy8tICFUGTaQodo_sH7Q

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Right now my hair is a fuzzy twist-out in the front and a shrunken, tangled, dry afro in the back (thesis took over and I couldn't do my hair for days).

Once I submitted my paper today, I finally zonked out. I'm now fully awake and rested, and I neeeeeeeed to do something to my hair because early tomorrow morning (THIS morning), I get to go to my favorite church for the first time in a long time. I'm so excited! And I have no thesis on my heart and brain. Oh my GOODNESS, God is so good.

So, I can't go to church with m hair like this! LOL!

But I'm here at my parents-in-laws' house and need to be quiet at midnight and non-messy in their shower, and I'm mud pooing! :lol: To top it off, my monthly visitor decided to show up, and the crampin' is making me feel like NOT doing my hair.

To try to motivate myself to move out of this warm bed and venture upstairs: Instead of visualizing the pending detangling session, I'm visualizing the beautiful, shiny, fluffy, juicy twist-out that will result when I'm finished. I can't NOT do my hair right now, as slow-moving as I'm feeling.

STEP ONE: Put on some pants since I'm not at home and I hear rumbling upstairs. :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wow!

I'm loving this trial wash day. I thought I'd forgotten to pack my Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener, but there it was in the bottom of my hair bag! Yay!

Products used today:
  1. To cleanse scalp: Silk Elements Pre-Cleanse Scalp Treatment Felt great (cool and tingly) and now scalp feels great
  2. To cleanse strands: Sheaterra Rosemary Carrot Seed Moroccan Rhassoul Mud-Poo Wow!: Left my hair clean, springy, and moisturized with oil!
  3. To treat strands with protein: Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener Repaired my breaking ends!!! Hallelujah!
  4. To deep condition strands: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment under thermal cap I ended up skipping this: The mud poo beforehand was SUPER moisturizing
  5. To moisturize: Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion The slip was amazeballs! (Was the Komaza Protein a factor? My hair always feels like rubber for awhile after rinsing it out.) The CJ lotion helped me easily separate strands as I was styling!
  6. To seal: Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way Gel My newfound FAVORITE gel of all-time. LOVE IT. :smile:
  7. Style: Flexirod set This is my first attempt ever. I used 10 red ones after watching a tutorial with only 8 used. Have no idea how this will turn out. Love the EASE of it. Love that my hair is not drying with tangly shrinkage. :yep:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Here's my latest hair update:

I had been rocking my rollerset from almost 2 weeks ago. I kept it in 2 braids 6 days a week and wore it out one day a week. This was how it looked 2 Saturday's ago on my "out" day:

image.jpg

And this is what it looked like yesterday on another "out" day (clearly on it's last leg) LOL

image.jpg

I moisturized the length then proceeded with my coloring routine. After washing and deep conditioning and all that jazz, I twisted it up. I see @Daina and I had similar hair thoughts! Braided the twists into one big braid and will rock these over the next 2 weeks.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Daina

Here's my latest hair update:

I had been rocking my rollerset from almost 2 weeks ago. I kept it in 2 braids 6 days a week and wore it out one day a week. This was how it looked 2 Saturday's ago on my "out" day:

View attachment 392621

And this is what it looked like yesterday on another "out" day (clearly on it's last leg) LOL

View attachment 392625

I moisturized the length then proceeded with my coloring routine. After washing and deep conditioning and all that jazz, I twisted it up. I see @Daina and I had similar hair thoughts! Braided the twists into one big braid and will rock these over the next 2 weeks.

View attachment 392623
View attachment 392629

@lulu97, love it yassss great minds think alike!!!!! Are you going to cleanse and condition in the twists?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, love it yassss great minds think alike!!!!! Are you going to cleanse and condition in the twists?

@Daina I'm not 100% sure yet. I usually wash and condition every 2 weeks so I'm not changing that. I am thinking about staying in twists for the spring so depending on how it all plays out, I may just do my full wash day in the twists and re-twist them once a month. (so every other wash) It just depends on how they hold up through the wash day process or if I get tired of them. LOL

I did braid the roots before I twisted so I think they will be fine.

As you can see, I haven't made up my mind yet about what I'm doing just kinda going with the flow. I do know that for the next 2 weeks, they won't be bothered though! LOL I'm on spring break from school and will probably be doing a bit of traveling, so I just needed something that I can get up and go.