Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

trueheartofgold

Today's hair (after removing the wig that wasn't working).

Method
Cleanse: Sheaterra Mud-Poo
DC: APB Ultra Conditioning Soufflé
Styler: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker

Styling: 2-3 twists installed into each of 8 sections. Dried under HairFlair, then air dried overnight. Soultanicals Knot Dressing Oil applied to twists and hands. Twists unraveled, separated, and hair fluffed with pick.

(photos enlarge upon click)
View attachment 396071
View attachment 396075

Beautiful! :2inlove:

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
@YvetteWithJoy

Lol!! Thank you! :)

My skin used to be really low maintenance until I moved to Jamaica for school. I complained over on the Skin and Makeup Board a while ago. I broke out all over my face and it took like seven months to figure out my skin (2015-2016). Then in late 2016 it started flaring up again out of nowhere.

When I'm in Jamaica I wash my face with bottled water. (I know, this is the bougiest and most wasteful thing ever.) This is only for full disclosure though because I haven't had to do this anywhere else in the world I've been. I have hard water at home (Bahamas) and I use tap there no problem. I even have a shower filter in my apartment in Jamaica and was just using the filtered water for a while but my skin still broke out. I was getting acne all over, concentrated on my forehead that scarred every time it went away.

This is the regimen that works for me now.

AM
  • Wash with Peter Thomas Roth Acne Clearing Wash + a soft bristled spin brush head.
  • Drunk Elephant's Vitamin C Serum. (I don't think this actually does anything for me and probably won't buy it again after I've used it up.)
  • Moisturise with Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Moisturiser.
  • Random under eye moisturiser I have that doesn't do anything.
  • Biore Watery Essence Sunscreen

I get really sweaty and oily during the day because I have to walk around campus in the sun so I always travel with paper towels to wipe off the sweat until I can wash my face again (sweat buildup was a part of the reason I was breaking out).

When I get home from class I wash my face with the same face wash with my hand or whatever cloth I have around.

PM:
  • Wash with same face wash or PanOxyl 10% Benzoyl Peroxide wash + hard bristle spin brush head. (The PanOxyl I wound up buying because my aesthetician cause my face to break out really terribly over the winter and a doctor recommended it. I won't buy again when I run out but it calmed my face down really quickly).
  • Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Night Serum
  • May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon under eyes (This stuff is ungodly expensive and I only use it because I have a free sample from somewhere)
  • Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream
I have a prescription cream called Indoxyl (Clindamycin + Benzoyl Peroxide) that I use to spot treat and a PTR sulphur mask for the same thing. If I have a pimple that pops I put a piece of hydrocolloid bandage over it and it goes away usually within two days without scarring.

And for photographic evidence because I'm extra:
My face in October of last year (at my wits end when I switched to bottled water):
14962888_10153963615961643_1420828279_n.jpg

What my aesthetician did in December:
15724056_10154100865296643_557934828_n.jpg 15730813_10154108873776643_870894196_n.jpg

I had to use bleaching cream to get rid of the scarring this gave me.

It took until about March to get my face to where it is in the pictures I posted upthread. I don't wear foundation (dunno how to shade match etc.) so I was really self conscious for a long time. I'm slacking with my face right now because it's exam time (don't use spin brush as often, forget to wash my face some days etc.) but my face is pretty stable. I don't really get pimples often any more.

So yes, that is my life story. :look:

Last edited:

NaturalShe94

Gorgeous, @Colocha and @NaturalShe94!!!

Share the skin regimens, please!!! (If either one of you say just soap and water . . . :fistshake: :smile: )

:laugh: my skin actually use to be horrible... I wash my face every night with Irish Spring MOISTURE BLAST bar soap... It MUST be the MOISTURE blast kind. Nothing else. This bar soap is cheap, but my Lord its the ONLY thing that clears my face... Nothing else works. Neutrogena Break Out Free Daily Moisturizing Sunscreen for my daily moisturizing.... Thats all for me... Oh and drinking a lot of water. When I go long without water, my face breaks out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy

My skin used to be really low maintenance until I moved to Jamaica for school. I complained over on the Skin and Makeup Board a while ago. I broke out all over my face and it took like seven months to figure out my skin (2015-2016). Then in late 2016 it started flaring up again out of nowhere.

When I'm in Jamaica I wash my face with bottled water. (I know, this is the bougiest and most wasteful thing ever.) This is only for full disclosure though because I haven't had to do this anywhere else in the world I've been. I have hard water at home (Bahamas) and I use tap there no problem. I even have a shower filter in my apartment in Jamaica and was just using the filtered water for a while but my skin still broke out. I was getting acne all over, concentrated on my forehead that scarred every time it went away.

AM
  • Wash with Peter Thomas Roth Acne Clearing Wash + a soft bristled spin brush head.
  • Drunk Elephant's Vitamin C Serum. (I don't think this actually does anything for me and probably won't buy it again after I've used it up.)

I get really sweaty and oily during the day because I have to walk around campus in the sun so I always travel with paper towels to wipe off the sweat until I can wash my face again (sweat buildup was a part of the reason I was breaking out).

When I get home from class I wash my face with the same face wash with my hand or whatever cloth I have around.

PM:
  • Wash with same face wash or PanOxyl 10% Benzoyl Peroxide wash + hard bristle spin brush head. (The PanOxyl I wound up buying because my aesthetician cause my face to break out really terribly over the winter and a doctor recommended it. I won't buy again when I run out but it calmed my face down really quickly).
  • May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon under eyes (This stuff is ungodly expensive and I only use it because I have a free sample from somewhere)
I have a prescription cream called Indoxyl (Clindamycin + Benzoyl Peroxide) that I use to spot treat and a PTR sulphur mask for the same thing. If I have a pimple that pops I put a piece of hydrocolloid bandage over it and it goes away usually within two days without scarring.

My face in October of last year (at my wits end when I switched to bottled water):
View attachment 396167

View attachment 396169 View attachment 396171

It took until about March to get my face to where it is in the pictures I posted upthread. I don't wear foundation (dunno how to shade match etc.) so I was really self conscious for a long time. I'm slacking with my face right now because it's exam time (don't use spin brush as often, forget to wash my face some days etc.) but my face is pretty stable. I don't really get pimples often any more.

Wow! Thank you for all of this detail and the photos. SO INCREDIBLY KIND and ENCOURAGING! :sneakyhug:

What a journey! I'm so glad you found what worked. :smile:

My main issue is discoloration: My under eye area is dark, where my glasses rest on my nose is dark, and areas around my mouth are dark. I have no idea what to do. I guess I need to see a dermatologist.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:laugh: my skin actually use to be horrible... I wash my face every night with Irish Spring MOISTURE BLAST bar soap... It MUST be the MOISTURE blast kind. Nothing else. This bar soap is cheap, but my Lord its the ONLY thing that clears my face... Nothing else works. Neutrogena Break Out Free Daily Moisturizing Sunscreen for my daily moisturizing.... Thats all for me... Oh and drinking a lot of water. When I go long without water, my face breaks out.

Thanks for sharing. Very simple! Nice.

Off to learn about this soap! :smile:

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Wow! Thank you for all of this detail and the photos. SO INCREDIBLY KIND and ENCOURAGING! :sneakyhug:

My main issue is discoloration: My under eye area is dark, where my glasses rest on my nose is dark, and areas around my mouth are dark. I have no idea what to do. I guess I need to see a dermatologist.
I'm so glad it helped! :heart:

I was prescribed hydroquinone for the scarring that I got and it worked really well. I also heard vitamin C is good for discoloration. I also have dark under eye areas but I have no found no solution for that other than Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Cacao.

NaturalShe94

Thanks for sharing. Very simple! Nice.

Off to learn about this soap! :smile:

Yeah, it isnt a "face" soap. It's a regular bar soap, it is just a soap my mom always bought growing up for each bathroom in the household as our bathing soap. I had been using it to bathe since I was little and I would only use hot water on my face... Then one day about 2 years ago, I used it on my face for like a week and realized it cleared my face up and I was like "omg its the irish spring!" .... Ive bought the Irish Spring Original, it broke me out; as well as another one they have called Irish Spring Icy Blast, didnt work either. Its just something about the Moisture Blast one that does the job! Your face looks so clear already though! Very nice skin! What the heck else are you looking for! Lol

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yeah, it isnt a "face" soap. It's a regular bar soap, it is just a soap my mom always bought growing up for each bathroom in the household as our bathing soap. I had been using it to bathe since I was little and I would only use hot water on my face... Then one day about 2 years ago, I used it on my face for like a week and realized it cleared my face up and I was like "omg its the irish spring!" .... Ive bought the Irish Spring Original, it broke me out; as well as another one they have called Irish Spring Icy Blast, didnt work either. Its just something about the Moisture Blast one that does the job! Your face looks so clear already though! Very nice skin! What the heck else are you looking for! Lol

Wow. I'm glad you made that discovery!

In my photos, I'm wearing coverage: Shea Moisture tinted lotion. Without it, highly visible are lots of dark areas/marks. Lol.

faithVA

@YvetteWithJoy

AM

PM:

View attachment 396167

View attachment 396169 View attachment 396171

I'm glad you figure it out. I can imagine that was stressful. Your skin looks really nice now.

faithVA

Also pay attention to what you eat and see if you have some kind of food intolerance. Dark areas around those areas can indicate food intolerance or a lack of nutrient absorption leading to some type of deficiency.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My scalp is feeling normal again. It was a dry and itchy mess since I colored with the Joico jet black color. It did extremely well in my hair but I think the chemicals in it were entirely too strong for my scalp. Everything I used after that irritated my scalp even worse if it got close enough to it...especially my beloved Joico MB. So I've been using mostly DIY pre-wash treatments and products with better ingrediants and less chemicals. Still using my Elucence shampoo but switched to Giovanni conditioners/leave ins. Keeping my styling simple. Cheat roller sets to stretch followed by braids. Will keep this routine up till the end of the year and re-evaluate. I will definitely NOT be using Joico hair color again. The only good thing about this experience is it revived my love for DIY treatments. I did a rhassoul clay/oil prewash treatment this past wash and it left my hair shiny and silky to the touch.

image.jpg

I'm doing good on the mini challenge. I did meditation on my backyard deck 3 days this week while it rained. It was so calming listening to the rain and since my surroundings were cleansing and growing things with rain, I took the chance to reflect on and release some old pains. Gotta let go in order to grow!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Also pay attention to what you eat and see if you have some kind of food intolerance. Dark areas around those areas can indicate food intolerance or a lack of nutrient absorption leading to some type of deficiency.

@YvetteWithJoy I agree with @faithVA I get problems around those same two areas when I eat too much dairy (I have a milk allergy but can TOLERATE a few processed milk products and I'm always pushing it! LOL) I also have an allergy to most tree nuts and if I consume or use products with nut oils on my face, my under eye area and the area around the right/under side of my mouth develops light skin patches. Macadamia nut oil, almond old...basically any oil made from nuts or skin products with those nut oils in them.

Alma Petra

Welcome to the forum Alma Petra :)

I have been around these parts off and on since 2008...since when I was relaxed and apl.

I never comb my hair dry. I notice whenever I use a comb it causes me breakage, I have too many different curl patterns on my head and I have medium density hair. I've actually always been a heavy shedder...but I can tell the difference in the amount of hair I lose when I'm either not on a vitamin, change in my diet, medications, hormonal issues...I reads muh hurrballs:lol:

But finger combing works best for me growth wise.

I keep remembering when my hair took off and grew like a weed and it was when I took my vitamins and cowashed all the time! I'm talking bout back in the day when co washing with V05 and suave and white rain was this ish...now we have all of these "Co washing" products.

Damn I just felt old :lol:

That's an admirable level of communication between you and your hair there. Many people can't get their hair to "talk to them" even after years of going on a hair journey.

Hopefully things are going to settle down for you now.

I have been through so many phases with my hair, and in not so long neither. Hopefully someone is going to come across some useful pieces of information while reading through my story there.

And yeah I am really glad I decided to actively join the forum. There is a very beautiful atmosphere of kindness here; of exchanging, learning, & taking and giving back in return.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Alma Petra

My scalp is feeling normal again. It was a dry and itchy mess since I colored with the Joico jet black color. It did extremely well in my hair but I think the chemicals in it were entirely too strong for my scalp. Everything I used after that irritated my scalp even worse if it got close enough to it...especially my beloved Joico MB. So I've been using mostly DIY pre-wash treatments and products with better ingrediants and less chemicals. Still using my Elucence shampoo but switched to Giovanni conditioners/leave ins. Keeping my styling simple. Cheat roller sets to stretch followed by braids. Will keep this routine up till the end of the year and re-evaluate. I will definitely NOT be using Joico hair color again. The only good thing about this experience is it revived my love for DIY treatments. I did a rhassoul clay/oil prewash treatment this past wash and it left my hair shiny and silky to the touch.

View attachment 396239

I'm doing good on the mini challenge. I did meditation on my backyard deck 3 days this week while it rained. It was so calming listening to the rain and since my surroundings were cleansing and growing things with rain, I took the chance to reflect on and release some old pains. Gotta let go in order to grow!

Amen to the bolded!

And your roller set is lovely! Do you call it a cheat set because you don't wear it out and you braid your hair immediately afterwards?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Warning:Lots of pictures ahead!

A full roller set is one where I do a full head of rollers. I shampoo then deep condition under the dryer. I use a comb to detangle and smooth my hair so it takes about an hour to set and another 2 1/2 hours to dry. I save this for length checks only because it is an extremely long and tiring process. The curls need to dry 100% in order for this to work.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I can also wrap it overnight to gauge my length. Of course it's never 100% straight since I didn't use direct heat...but close enough.

image.jpg

A cheat roller set is one where I do most of the work in the shower. I do a treatment pre-wash, cleanse, quick condition and use the water flow to put my hair in 2 ponytails. Get out the shower and just roll the length of the ponytails. This process takes around 15 minutes. I finger comb only because the goal is stretched hair not super smooth hair. Sit under the dryer for one hour. If it's not fully dry, it's cool. I can just smooth the hair in one big Bantu knot or use the dampness to work in my favor and move right into braiding.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Alma Petra

MzSwift

A full roller set is one where I do a full head of rollers. I shampoo then deep condition under the dryer. I use a comb to detangle and smooth my hair so it takes about an hour to set and another 2 1/2 hours to dry. I save this for length checks only because it is an extremely long and tiring process. The curls need to dry 100% in order for this to work.
View attachment 396307

View attachment 396309
View attachment 396311
View attachment 396313

I can also wrap it overnight to gauge my length. Of course it's never 100% straight since I didn't use direct heat...but close enough.

View attachment 396301

A cheat roller set is one where I do most of the work in the shower. I do a treatment pre-wash, cleanse, quick condition and use the water flow to put my hair in 2 ponytails. Get out the shower and just roll the length of the ponytails. This process takes around 15 minutes. I finger comb only because the goal is stretched hair not super smooth hair. Sit under the dryer for one hour. If it's not fully dry, it's cool. I can just smooth the hair in one big Bantu knot or use the dampness to work in my favor and move right into braiding.

View attachment 396319

View attachment 396303

View attachment 396315

View attachment 396317

@Alma Petra

Thank you so much for posting that! I've always wanted to do rollersets instead of direct heat but that process is so daunting!! And the idea of using the small toothed comb on large sections really put me off. I'm gonna try your cheat method. I can wrap afterwards for straighter results. And I'm still primarily a fingercomber even though I'm texlaxed now. :thankyou::urock:

CheChe1881

Today I have my hair cornrowed in two rows .... The top row and bottom row. So I have braids from my hairline to my crown, then to my crown to my nape. (if that makes sense)
It makes it less bulky if I wear wigs.

I literally wet them in the shower and put conditioner and oil on them and threw it in a pony tail.

But then I decided to go to the beauty supply store and fell in love with this beauty.
This will now be my go to wig <3
Name: Outre Dominican Curly color #2

**I worked two 12 hour shifts, excuse my face**

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7902.JPG IMG_7903.JPG

CheChe1881

@CheChe1881

Cute!!
That's exactly how I treated my cornrows almost daily when I PSd in wigs for 2 years. Water rinse, rub in condish and then seal with oil. I redid them once a week. My hair was so happy! I bet you're going to see great growth if you keep that up.

Thank you ! That gives me hope. I just planned on doing it because i'm lazy LMAO and my hair likes water all the time

CheChe1881

View attachment 396307

View attachment 396309
View attachment 396311
View attachment 396313

View attachment 396301

View attachment 396319

View attachment 396303

View attachment 396315

View attachment 396317

@Alma Petra

Your hair.... omg... you're my GOALS lol
:notworthy:

faithVA

Today I have my hair cornrowed in two rows .... The top row and bottom row. So I have braids from my hairline to my crown, then to my crown to my nape. (if that makes sense)
It makes it less bulky if I wear wigs.

I literally wet them in the shower and put conditioner and oil on them and threw it in a pony tail.

But then I decided to go to the beauty supply store and fell in love with this beauty.
This will now be my go to wig <3
Name: Outre Dominican Curly color #2

**I worked two 12 hour shifts, excuse my face**

View attachment 396343

View attachment 396339 View attachment 396341
That's nice. I thought it was yours.

SmilingElephant

Reading this made me smile :grin: I was raised on Irish Spring too. The scent makes me so happy just to smell the bars in the store lol! My cousins house, in their bathroom always smelled like Irish Spring too! Lol!

I need to drink more water...my face is JUST starting to clear up. :(

NaturalShe94

Reading this made me smile :grin: I was raised on Irish Spring too. The scent makes me so happy just to smell the bars in the store lol! My cousins house, in their bathroom always smelled like Irish Spring too! Lol!

I need to drink more water...my face is JUST starting to clear up. :(

Hahaha! Girl love the smell as well! My face will show out the min I stop drinking water... Or pms times... So I try my best to keep my water intake high...

NaturalShe94

View attachment 396307

View attachment 396309
View attachment 396311
View attachment 396313

View attachment 396301

View attachment 396319

View attachment 396303

View attachment 396315

View attachment 396317

@Alma Petra

Wow!!! So prettyyyy!

NaturalShe94

@CheChe1881 tagging you in this post!

So I washed and DC'd with Gabrielle Unions Flawless hair care line... The Smoothing Poo & Con and the Hair Repair Masque....

I must say that LESS is MORE with these products... The line smells amazing! The consistency is very thick, especially the shampoo....
The Smoothing Shampoo: I believe I used a little too much, it definitely cleansed, but, my hair felt completely STRIPPED... I honestly believe it was because I used more than I should have. This shampoo is the thickest shampoo I think I've ever used... A lot is definitely not needed.

The Smoothing Conditioner: OMG! I LOVEEEEEE ITTTT a definite REBUY for me! I conditioned my hair, put a shower cap on for about 10 mins and then rinsed, my hair felt sooooo moisturized, smooth, silkyyyy! I didnt even want to deep condition after!

The Hair Repair Masque: I liked it a lot, it was very moisturizing, but, I gotta give it another shot... I did realize that it held the moisture in my hair though... After rinsing this DC out, my hair didn't start to frizz after I lightly towel dried it... And it stayed that way even after for about 10 mins.... Usually, my hair would start to frizz after about 2 mins after being towel dried... Good DC for Moisture! This was my hair after being towel dried and just sitting out for 10 mins no product... Minimal frizz!
IMG_1649.JPG

And this is my hair an hour after applying my regular moisturizer and oil to seal... I do this every Sunday and walk around the house with my satin scarf around me as I let my hair air dry, then plait it up..... Its about 85 percent dry... And Im about to plait it soon and throw on my bonnet...
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1643.JPG

Damaris.Elle

I am never going to use bananas in a DC for my hair again.

I ran out of Neutral Colorful Protein Filler and didn't feel like leaving the house again yesterday evening, so I decided to try eggs one more time as a protein treatment and threw in a banana, honey and coconut oil in just to make the mixture a little thicker. The banana ruined things. It left chunks in my hair and it was super difficult to get them out...because of that my wash day lasted 3 hours. I was TOO THROUGH. I even had a bad dream about it last night once I went to bed lol.

So next time, I'm either going to make that trip to Sally's or leave the protein treatment for another day...I don't want another mishap like that.