Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Speaking of remembering to take photos,

I was wondering: What do you guys think of encouraging monthly length check photos?

I have to do them as a part of a study in which I'm participating. It's 4 pictures: FRONT, MY LEFT, BACK, MY RIGHT.

I keep it as simple as possible:
I try to grab the same section of hair in each area, and I use one of those flexible/bendable tape measures so that differences in how I angle my neck or the hair don't factor in.

Here's one:

WP_20170704_013.jpg WP_20170704_012.jpg

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@YvetteWithJoy I encourage the idea of monthly length checks especially early in your journey. You get a solid idea of your monthly growth rate and how it waivers throughout the months/seasons. I know for sure that I get a solid 1/2 inch every single month from my crown to my nape. 6 months out of the year are always a smidgen more....April, May, July, August, November & December. Not enough to call it a growth spurt but more than 1/2 inch. The front of my hair (bang area) grows a lot slower. Knowing this allowed me to determine which area of my hair required a bit more attention and IF I'm going to be lazy or hide my hair with protective styling....which months would be good months to do so.

Once you document it for a full year, I don't think it's wise to continue doing monthly length checks unless you feel you are stalling or have encountered a health or scalp issue. It does have the tendency to remove the joy from your journey. It saddened me a lot when some months the front of my hair would only budge 1/8 of an inch.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I encourage the idea of monthly length checks especially early in your journey. You get a solid idea of your monthly growth rate and how it waivers throughout the months/seasons. I know for sure that I get a solid 1/2 inch every single month from my crown to my nape. 6 months out of the year are always a smidgen more....April, May, July, August, November & December. Not enough to call it a growth spurt but more than 1/2 inch. The front of my hair (bang area) grows a lot slower. Knowing this allowed me to determine which area of my hair required a bit more attention and IF I'm going to be lazy or hide my hair with protective styling....which months would be good months to do so.

Once you document it for a full year, I don't think it's wise to continue doing monthly length checks unless you feel you are stalling or have encountered a health or scalp issue. It does have the tendency to remove the joy from your journey. It saddened me a lot when some months the front of my hair would only budge 1/8 of an inch.

Makes sense! Case in point:

For the study, I have now done length measurements for June and July. Growth looks like this:

Front growth:
1/8 of an inch

My left-hand side growth:
1/8 of an inch

Back growth:
1/4 of an inch

My right-hand side growth:
ZERO

I would be concerned, except:
(1) It's hard to grab the EXACT same pieces of hair, and my hair is super layered and non-uniform, and
(2) My perspective is different now that I've seen women in my family lose their hair during beast cancer treatments. I'm grateful to simply have hair . . . and ANY growth . . . and zero serious illness. :yep:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@YvetteWithJoy Please know that I'm not saying your measurements are not accurate. However, it could be a little more than what you see. Keep in mind that you are measuring your hair on kinky hair that you have pulled straight. There still may be a few bumps and bends along the strand that you are measuring. During the year that I did my measuring, I was still a monthly salon visitor. I would get my hair pressed every month on just about the same day each month. I also had honey blonde highlights sprinkled throughout the front and crown of my hair so on those sections, I would measure from the scalp to where the blonde began. I only had color retouched in the summer so throughout the year, I didn't mess with it so it was a good growth measuring technique.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Please know that I'm not saying your measurements are not accurate. However, it could be a little more than what you see. Keep in mind that you are measuring your hair on kinky hair that you have pulled straight. There still may be a few bumps and bends along the strand that you are measuring. During the year that I did my measuring, I was still a monthly salon visitor. I would get my hair pressed every month on just about the same day each month. I also had honey blonde highlights sprinkled throughout the front and crown of my hair so on those sections, I would measure from the scalp to where the blonde began. I only had color retouched in the summer so throughout the year, I didn't mess with it so it was a good growth measuring technique.

Yeah . . . the more I participate in this study, the more CERTAIN I am that 99.99999999% of the data collected will be flawed.

For a host of reasons.

For instance, it is impossible to get the same exact stretch, placement of the stretchy tape measure on the scalp (or even at the same height/place on the strands, were it even possible to grab the same strands).

I don't want to come across as speaking against the study, especially given the personality and manner of the principal investigator. But I've seen hundreds of folks' length check photos now, and eeeeesh.

I wish I could exit the study, but I'm trying to not do that.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@lulu97 and @beauti great progress.

I was looking through my pictures but I'm too lazy right now :laugh:

I have noticed, like many others, that the longer your hair gets, the less you do with it in terms of styles. I'm definitely there. I just want to stop bunning. Ill post one of my favorite styles, just takes a while to do all the twist.

The right is what it would look like to date.
IMG_1341.JPG

AgeinATL

@YvetteWithJoy

This is why I no longer do monthly length checks. I am a strong believer in 'a watched pot never boils'. I just do them really randomly and sporadically. I do believe that you should track your growth, but for ME, I no longer do it monthly.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This is why I no longer do monthly length checks. I am a strong believer in 'a watched pot never boils'. I just do them really randomly and sporadically. I do believe that you should track your growth, but for ME, I no longer do it monthly.

Makes sense.

I wonder how people learn that their hair grows 1/2 an inch per month (or however much) if they don't measure? Maybe they measure every 3 months or something like that and then divide the increase by 3?

I figure I'll measure for this year because I told the study leader I would, and so that I can get a sense of what my monthly growth rate is, but I am 100% certain that measurement is completely flawed. :lol:

AgeinATL

Makes sense.

I wonder how people learn that their hair grows 1/2 an inch per month (or however much) if they don't measure?

I figure I'll measure for this year because I told the study leader I would, and so that I can get a sense of what my monthly growth rate is, but I am 100% certain that measurement is completely flawed. :lol:

Like lulu, I did early on so I have a good idea of my growth rate.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

To me, it's too obsessive and unreliable. I totally agree with @lulu97 with initially doing it to get an idea of growth for a year, but agreeing with you also, even with doing the checks monthly, it will feel like little to no progress even when there is. After the first year, there won't really be major change unless there is a major change in your life. A seasonal or twice a year check is really good enough to get a picture of average growth.

Also, 6" is average, not normal. Some can see 4" and some see 7-8".

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Makes sense.

I wonder how people learn that their hair grows 1/2 an inch per month (or however much) if they don't measure? Maybe they measure every 3 months or something like that and then divide the increase by 3?

Agreeing with @AgeinATL and speaking from experience, just comparing a beginning of the year and end of year will give you an average on the growth per month.

For me, different milestone length are exactly 3" apart, so I just have to compare them and that is how I know. How much per month is beyond me, however, I get 6-7" a year and just divide it by 12 if I want to know monthly on average.

However, hair can grow differently seasonally, so that's why it's not as exact as we want it to be.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay, I exited the study. :smile:

I think it's deeply flawed, and I've noticed that I'm not having fun with my hair like usual . . . and I know it's because of the study and the monitoring and caliber of conversation surrounding it all.

It was't a clear cut decision, because I really wanted to help the study leader by offering my data, but the data is not good data. I feel 1,000% better leaving all the groups and websites and channels and ALL OF THAT surrounding the study.

Back to simply ENJOYING my journey and my hair. :yep:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Okay, I exited the study. :smile:

I think it's deeply flawed, and I've noticed that I'm not having fun with my hair like usual . . . and I know it's because of the study and the monitoring and caliber of conversation surrounding it all.

It was't a clear cut decision, because I really wanted to help the study leader by offering my data, but the data is not good data. I feel 1,000% better leaving all the groups and websites and channels and ALL OF THAT surrounding the study.

Back to simply ENJOYING my journey and my hair. :yep:

What do you mean by flawed?

It seems more like too many factors that can be easily manipulated with careful controls.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What do you mean by flawed?

It seems more like too many factors that can be easily manipulated with careful controls.

Oh . . . it's probably just from my background that I see it that way. I just mean that, when I conduct a study with students or teachers, then I collect and measure data. If my data is inaccurate, then the whole study is invalidated and the journal will reject my study and article. I cannot publish or make claims.

I hesitate to discuss, because I am excited that our hair is under study and wish the study leaders the best.

In short:
Relying on participant reporting and measuring . . . tricky at best, study invalidating at most.

This is not a perfect analogy, but: Asking a student to find a test somewhere, take it and, and report back to me the score . . . versus me administering a validated assessment measurement tool (a math test, in this case, that has been vetted or shown valid) in a controlled environment . . . they are very different.​

Details:
Data collection, data measurement, and data analysis is critical. My study will be rejected if I cannot show that my data was collected properly and measured properly. I can say all day that my teaching techniques are effective as based upon the growth in students's scores . . . but if my initial test/assessment is completely different than my post test . . . or if either are flawed, then my whole study is rejected.

Asking a student to find a test somewhere, take it and, and report back to me the score . . . versus me administering a validated assessment measurement tool (a math test, in this case, that has been vetted or shown valid) in a controlled environment . . . they are very different.

After having looked at the hundreds and hundreds of measurement photos submitted to the study, it's really clear there is no way for the study leaders to do any sort of quality control of data measurement. My husband and I are trying to grab the same pieces of hair as last month's, and it's virtually impossible to know for certain from month to month. He has a degree in science and keeps reflecting about the loss of data quality control.​

KEY POINT: Participants were instructed not to use hair at the "edges" anywhere (front, back, right, left). So already we've lost that guide. The hair has to come from somewhere away from the perimeter. I'm looking at many folks' pictures that did not comply with that . . . or that are not using tape measurements (not required) but have the hair pulled at a severe angle (either angled up, back, to the left, etc.) . . . and I could go on and on. They are trying to address it.

ANOTHER KEY POINT: People are getting trims. There is no measurement of how much hair was trimmed. So now accurate growth cannot really be reported.

I don't know: Maybe if I were flat ironing my hair, and if somehow with a skin-safe pen I could circle on my scalp around the hair pieces I was measuring so that I could find them again, then I would feel better about my own data. I still don't know how the study leaders would know whether people were factoring in their trims accurately, or how they could confirm that people grabbed the same pieces.

Daina

I like to take length check pictures once or twice a year. When I restarted my HHJ I took pics that year every quarter. That really helped the first year as others have mentioned because I had no clue how quickly or slowly my hair grew. This year I have been beyond lazy and haven't taken any. Probably because this is more of a thickening year for me than a growth year. I am trimming off the last of my heat damage and with each trim I'm maintaining right above WL. I'll take pics again on the anniversary of my HHJ in November when I first joined the site.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
First wash-day post study, and I am back to having a blast with my hair. So grateful!

I'm detailed and don't want to further clutter the thread today, so I'll just upload photos and add post links where I've already discussed these matters in detail.
  1. I tried several new things for wash and style day, and really enjoyed it! Details to match the photo are here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...nking-out-loud.541651/page-1264#post-24023221
  2. I really, really wish I could know ahead of time whether I can get spiral rods to work over my whole head. I patch tested, see room for improvement, but did really like it! I'm thinking about getting some Nairobi foam wrap and just giving it a go one day. Here are details to match the photos below: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/fall-winter-wash-n-go-challenge.740985/page-123#post-24021887
Pics (enlargeable upon click) to go with the linked posts and words above:

WP_20170705_003 1.jpg WP_20170627_001.jpg WP_20170627_005.jpg WP_20170627_007.jpg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 and @beauti great progress.

I was looking through my pictures but I'm too lazy right now :laugh:

I have noticed, like many others, that the longer your hair gets, the less you do with it in terms of styles. I'm definitely there. I just want to stop bunning. Ill post one of my favorite styles, just takes a while to do all the twist.

The right is what it would look like to date.
View attachment 404213

I love those twisted updo's! @Saludable84

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Im feeling so good about my hair lately. I am sure I will not reach Hip or Tailbone this year but I am praying I can get there by the end of next year or mid 2019... (wow that sucks, lol)
Im ok with it because Im working towards that goal.
I have been natural since April25, 2009. I made it to MBL in 2014 when I had a tragic setback when I went to have a Dominican blowout and she put relaxer or something on my hair and set me under the dryer. When she washed at my hair it started to just fall out. Buy the end of the week I had no hair. I had to shave it all off and start over... I was pissed.... I still am. But my new journey has started Jan 2014 was my new begining. And I have set my goals. I want to wear my hair down and natural for my wedding day Oct 2018. I need it to be full WL. Right now Im doing 100% protective styling under wigs. I simply redo my braids every 4 ro 5 weeks. Deep condition with every take down. Im paying of growth. Im now grazing MBL, I plan to do a length chk on my take down in 2 weeks!

tapioca_pudding

@tapioca_pudding Just know you are always welcome to join or just chat it up with us if you feel the desire to. No pressure but we would love to have you Sis!
:hug2: Thank you for the invite!! I've always been intimidated by this thread :lol: I see in the opening post that anyone, any length can join. I'm not APL yet but I guess it wouldn't hurt to elevate my goals... :yep:

----

Current length:
I call it 'shoulder length plus' :lol: A bit past SL but not APL.

Straight pic:

june2017hennacolorends.jpg

(I need to take an updated proper length check pic. I just got a trim two weeks ago.)

Curly pics (80% dry):

curls 7.7.17_3.jpg curls 7.7.17.jpg

Regimen:
Sadly I dont have a solid regimen now that I sit down and think about it. I do things on a regular basis but I wouldn't call it a regimen. I try to DC once per week (sometimes stretch it to every other week), shampoo typically only when I straighten (which I do 1x a month except in summer). I just started using henna so there's that. :lol: Lemme formulate an actual plan and come back. :drunk:

Exact goal length:
Sounds crazy to say but I'm gonna claim it - my final ultimate goal length is tailbone length. That's likely a few years off but I'm fine with that. I'm most hungry for BSL since I've never hit that length in my life, so anything beyond that is just a luxury. :lol:

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Keeping my hair primarily stretched and my ends well hydrated and coated. Keeping my regimen simple and not trying a bunch of new techniques. My hair likes to be left alone, as boring as that is. Regular protein treatments. My infused oil.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Right now all I can take is my prenatal, D3 and fish oil. I take collagen too for skin reasons, so I dunno if that will help with hair.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Stretched 97% of the time. I love my curls to death but I wore wash n go's for a year straight and didn't retain a dayum thing. So curly hair is my enemy lol. Keep ends stretched in one way or another, and always lubricated (in the words of @lulu97). Oh and regular light trims.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
I'm gonna go with the 1/4 inch trim every 6 months and see how my hair does.

Top 10 products:
I'll have to come back to this one... Nothing in my routine is really consistent. :wallbash: I can say for sure tho:

-Greenbeauty's Pure Protein mixed into my conditioners
-My infused oil/Ayurveda
-Wetline Xtreme Gel

ETA - So perusing this thread, I notice that the ladies that already have long hair, have some kind of solid regimen. #message :lachen: Note to self...... :drunk:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So glad you joined, @tapioca_pudding!

My hair length is just about the same as yours. :smile:

I'm here because of the people and the foci, which are physical health and THEN hair.

I figure I should hang out with BSL, MBL, etc. ladies. And these particular ladies especially are very encouraging and supportive. It is good for me to repeatedly see their hair photos, learn about their techniques, regimens, setbacks, growth spurts, perseverance, etc.

Sometimes I feel weird because I'm posting photos that are so different from everyone else's and my issues are different (and often emotional! :smile: ). But I adore the women and the health talk so much that I continue here.

It will be so great to have another near-APL lady here!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Speaking of remembering to take photos,

I was wondering: What do you guys think of encouraging monthly length check photos?

I have to do them as a part of a study in which I'm participating. It's 4 pictures: FRONT, MY LEFT, BACK, MY RIGHT.

I keep it as simple as possible:
I try to grab the same section of hair in each area, and I use one of those flexible/bendable tape measures so that differences in how I angle my neck or the hair don't factor in.

Here's one:

View attachment 404205 View attachment 404207
Hey your hair looks real healthy! Once I couldn't WAIT until that same spot hit the number 11 on my ruler. Now look it hit 14. Now watch, You're gonna turn around, sneeze, make dinner, vacuum carpet and come back, and it'll say 15" lol. I'm telling you time flies. My random thought because I should be in bed. Tootles :drunk:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey your hair looks real healthy! Once I couldn't WAIT until that same spot hit the number 11 on my ruler. Now look it hit 14. Now watch, You're gonna turn around, sneeze, make dinner, vacuum carpet and come back, and it'll say 15" lol. I'm telling you time flies. My random thought because I should be in bed. Tootles :drunk:

Thank for this encouragement, @AdoraAdora24! It comes at perfect timing, because I didn't get a lot of growth this month, it seems. This made me smile and I feel better about it. Congratulations on the length/growth! Nice :yep: