Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
:hug2: Thank you for the invite!! I've always been intimidated by this thread :lol: I see in the opening post that anyone, any length can join. I'm not APL yet but I guess it wouldn't hurt to elevate my goals... :yep:

----

Current length:
I call it 'shoulder length plus' :lol: A bit past SL but not APL.

Straight pic:

View attachment 404539

(I need to take an updated proper length check pic. I just got a trim two weeks ago.)

Curly pics (80% dry):

View attachment 404541 View attachment 404543

Regimen:
Sadly I dont have a solid regimen now that I sit down and think about it. I do things on a regular basis but I wouldn't call it a regimen. I try to DC once per week (sometimes stretch it to every other week), shampoo typically only when I straighten (which I do 1x a month except in summer). I just started using henna so there's that. :lol: Lemme formulate an actual plan and come back. :drunk:

Exact goal length:
Sounds crazy to say but I'm gonna claim it - my final ultimate goal length is tailbone length. That's likely a few years off but I'm fine with that. I'm most hungry for BSL since I've never hit that length in my life, so anything beyond that is just a luxury. :lol:

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Keeping my hair primarily stretched and my ends well hydrated and coated. Keeping my regimen simple and not trying a bunch of new techniques. My hair likes to be left alone, as boring as that is. Regular protein treatments. My infused oil.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Right now all I can take is my prenatal, D3 and fish oil. I take collagen too for skin reasons, so I dunno if that will help with hair.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Stretched 97% of the time. I love my curls to death but I wore wash n go's for a year straight and didn't retain a dayum thing. So curly hair is my enemy lol. Keep ends stretched in one way or another, and always lubricated (in the words of @lulu97). Oh and regular light trims.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
I'm gonna go with the 1/4 inch trim every 6 months and see how my hair does.

Top 10 products:
I'll have to come back to this one... Nothing in my routine is really consistent. :wallbash: I can say for sure tho:

-Greenbeauty's Pure Protein mixed into my conditioners
-My infused oil/Ayurveda
-Wetline Xtreme Gel

ETA - So perusing this thread, I notice that the ladies that already have long hair, have some kind of solid regimen. #message :lachen: Note to self...... :drunk:

Yay! You joined! Woot Woot! Welcome to the Challenge @tapioca_pudding

I see we love similar things...henna, Ayurvedic oils, etc. Also your routine looks pretty good to me. You seem to be washing & conditioning on a regular basis and doing everything else as you see fit.
Very similar to what I do. Just keep doing what you feel is best and the results are bound to follow. I'm so excited to follow your journey!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I shared in another thread how I'm trying to reduce how many times I'm wetting my hair throughout the week. It's nothing for me to rinse my hair 5-6 days a week without even blinking. I mean I'm taking a shower everyday so it's easy to just slide my hair under the shower stream and give my scalp a nice massage. It's so relaxing and rejuvenating....almost like a little spa treatment. However, the wet hair all the time is getting on my nerves. So I'm pushing for every other day until my brain can adjust to the change and keep reducing a little bit at a time from there. I skipped rinsing yesterday and it felt weird to take a shower without wetting my hair but the feeling of not having wet hair throughout the day outweighed the weirdness. My goal is to get it to twice a week....especially before the baby comes in September.

I'm kicking it all off with a nice deep condition on dry hair. Will rinse this out when DS takes a nap in a few hours then airdry in 2 braids instead of one. I figure more air will get through my hair and it will dry faster by splitting it down the middle.

beauti

I've been doing wash and go's the past couple weeks and although it's been great, I think I'm gonna need to hide my hair for a while.

Next wash day I'm going to put my hair in boxbraids with added hair for the rest of the summer.

I'm anxious to get to waist length by the end of the year and feel that I will achieve it with very low manipulation, so no more playing in my hair!

tapioca_pudding

Last night Dh told me that he doesn't like my current protective style. During the week I've been wearing a deep side part with two flat twists, pinned up in the back similar to this (I found this photo on Google - it isn't me!):

He said it makes me look like an old lady and doesn't showcase my beauty. :rolleyes: :lol: He's just tryna make a case for me to stop wearing this style lol.

I will say that even though this style affords me the ability to not touch/deal w/ my hair for several days, it probably isn't the cutest. Finding protective styles that preserve my fly is tough at my length. Off to Youtube I go.....

Last edited:

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd
Last night Dh told me that he doesn't like my current protective style. During the week I've been wearing a deep side part with two flat twists, pinned up in the back similar to this:

He said it makes me look like an old lady and doesn't showcase my beauty. :rolleyes: :lol: He's just tryna make a case for me to stop wearing this style lol.

I will say that even though this style affords me the ability to not touch/deal w/ my hair for several days, it probably isn't the cutest. Finding protective styles that preserve my fly is tough at my length. Off to Youtube I go.....

I thought you were a teenager with that hairstyle. Lol!

Last edited:

snoop

So I haven't posted a photo update in here in...at all?

The ladies in the WL challenge thread have claimed WL for me and so I'mma run with it. I find this thread intimidating too, but I'd love to get to tailbone length and eventually beyond. I figure at that point my twists will look like APL because of all of the shrinkage.:lachen:

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1498622727269-01.jpeg
    PhotoGrid_1498622727269-01.jpeg
    765.7 KB · Views: 106

faithVA

Last night Dh told me that he doesn't like my current protective style. During the week I've been wearing a deep side part with two flat twists, pinned up in the back similar to this:

Let us know what you come up with.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

The ladies in the WL challenge thread have claimed WL for me and so I'mma run with it. I find this thread intimidating too, but I'd love to get to tailbone length and eventually beyond. I figure at that point my twists will look like APL because of all of the shrinkage.:lachen:

The ladies are right. Congratulations on WL!

AgeinATL

Nice!!!! Great progress and you are definitely WL!

tapioca_pudding

So since that convo w/ Dh last week, I've been wearing a wash n go puff :nono: It's easy, convenient, I look super cute but my ends are all willy nilly. Ive been so tired lately that I haven't put forth much effort in changing my style. But this week I need to just find a new go to stretched style for the time being and rock with it.

beauti

@beauti Sis, you got skills. Your braiding styles are always so nice. My sister is coming down when I have the baby and I plan on twisting her arm to get her to put my hair in some braids before she heads back home. She just don't know it yet! :angeldevil:
Thank you! And yeah definitely get her to do yours. I have no choice but to do a good job :nono:

snoop

Baby girl arrived yesterday morning! I'm about to get back into the good eating and water guzzling game.

Had my hair in a twist out for the last two days. Washed it this evening and put them into large twists. They're messy, but I am loving the size, so I'll probably retwist them neater within the next day or two.