Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

snoop

@snoop Congrats on your mini me! Welcome back to the land of good food :laugh:

Haha! Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm going to do this backwards. I ate so unhealthy during pregnancy because either I was too tired to cook or things wouldn't stay down. Now it's time to go back to, unrefined, wheat free, reduced white sugar, more veggies... it sounds sooo bland....but not half as bad as you'd think. Gonna miss that weekly pizza run. :cry3:

I've been doing well with my water intake now that I can drink it again. Almost ready to wean myself off of juice completely.

I plan on treating myself to an electric shampoo brush and do regular scalp massages.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Welp the banana clip ponytails didn't turn out that well. My hair swallowed, popped and killed 3 all in the same day. I just gave up and put my hair in a ponytail with a regular satin scrunchie. I guess I'll have to save the banana clips for when my hair is straight from a roller set. My curly hair just ain't with it! :lachen:

JosieLynn

Not too much to update on my hair atm. Coming up on a month in my 2nd set of box braids for the summer season. I think I've already got around a 1/2 of new growth, the humidity where I am has been astronomical and while I feel like i'm melting everyday, my hair LOVES it so i'll take it. I've been sweating like crazy though so I've washed my hair more than twice a month already. I'm hoping these braids at least stay nice enough to last through my vacation over the next few weeks. I'm getting excited to see how much my hair will have grown by Late august/September when I take these down. I'm also toying with the thought of doing 1-2 years of no heat. I already have about 5 or 6 months under my belt but I want to straighten my hair when I come out of the box braids to see if I need a trim...would a rollerset be a good option? I want to at the least avoid a lot of direct heat. My hair is thin density and fine/normal strands. I don't think I can get away with blowdrying and flat ironing, I haven't seen any heat damage but I just don't like it.

faithVA

Not too much to update on my hair atm. Coming up on a month in my 2nd set of box braids for the summer season. I think I've already got around a 1/2 of new growth, the humidity where I am has been astronomical and while I feel like i'm melting everyday, my hair LOVES it so i'll take it. I've been sweating like crazy though so I've washed my hair more than twice a month already. I'm hoping these braids at least stay nice enough to last through my vacation over the next few weeks. I'm getting excited to see how much my hair will have grown by Late august/September when I take these down. I'm also toying with the thought of doing 1-2 years of no heat. I already have about 5 or 6 months under my belt but I want to straighten my hair when I come out of the box braids to see if I need a trim...would a rollerset be a good option? I want to at the least avoid a lot of direct heat. My hair is thin density and fine/normal strands. I don't think I can get away with blowdrying and flat ironing, I haven't seen any heat damage but I just don't like it.
You can do a rollerset and trim or do a rollerset and flat iron on. Low heat setting. Your hair doesn't have to be swinging straight to do a trim.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@JosieLynn I agree with @faithVA Roller sets are a great option to use instead of direct heat for trims. I can't even remember the last time I used direct heat...probably close to 2 years now. It's just not necessary for my hair. I can get it straight with a roller set and wrap.

Roller setting is especially good for trims because the hair is already grouped together by the roller. As you take the rollers out one by one, it's very easy to evaluate that section...trim only what's needed and move on to the next. I think it keeps you from over-trimming.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Welp the banana clip ponytails didn't turn out that well. My hair swallowed, popped and killed 3 all in the same day. I just gave up and put my hair in a ponytail with a regular satin scrunchie. I guess I'll have to save the banana clips for when my hair is straight from a roller set. My curly hair just ain't with it! :lachen:
Lulu's Hair: What is this confounded contraption? I don't like it. (banana clip pops).
Hair: Again? (curls screaming "ahh, you're squishing me" "stop stepping on my feet")
Wait for it..wait for it (banana clip pops)
Hair: Man, Lulu has not learned her lesson. Ok here's what we're gonna do: wait for a few minutes... then just as she's about to do something (banana clip pops).

Don't ask me why I did this :lachen:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Lulu's Hair: What is this confounded contraption? I don't like it. (banana clip pops).
Hair: Again? (curls screaming "ahh, you're squishing me" "stop stepping on my feet")
Wait for it..wait for it (banana clip pops)
Hair: Man, Lulu has not learned her lesson. Ok here's what we're gonna do: wait for a few minutes... then just as she's about to do something (banana clip pops).

Don't ask me why I did this :lachen:

LOL!!!! The sad part about it is that I was gonna try another one but my son had already broke it. I shoulda known they were not gonna work. When I bought them from the BSS, the pack didn't have a price on it. When I got to the counter, I asked the clerk how much did they cost....he just shrugged his shoulders and said I don't know...just give me a dollar! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I haven't give up the dream all the way...if I can find the ones that interlock like this on the ground, I'll pick them up:

https://www.gladhair.com/collections/banana-hair-clips/products/cream-color-banana-clip

Those are the kind that I used to buy...my old ones got lost when we moved.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I need a relaxer and an update. I'm like 5 months post and it's not pretty. Smh

I don't know how you long-haired ladies are getting these Rollersets. Aren't your lengths weighing down the curls? It seem they would fall by the time you leave your house.

I don't like the curls from roller sets. They look grandma-ish on me. :lachen: When I do get around to setting....I'll either do one of these techniques after I take down the rollers:

Finger comb out the curls, wrap it in a traditional style wrap and wear the hair straight.

Finger comb out the curls, put my hair in 1-3 Bantu knots and rock those curls.

Or I'll just bun or put in in a braid.

I roller set pretty much for smoothness and to give me a starting point to transition into a different style. However, I don't roller set often anymore like I used to. Just a few times a year. The process is just too much. It requires more time and patience than what I'm willing to give at this length and point in my hair journey.

snoop

If you don't care about the overall shape, then you can always twist your hair and then trim the ends.

tapioca_pudding

Last night Dh told me that he doesn't like my current protective style. During the week I've been wearing a deep side part with two flat twists, pinned up in the back similar to this (I found this photo on Google - it isn't me!):

He said it makes me look like an old lady and doesn't showcase my beauty. :rolleyes: :lol: He's just tryna make a case for me to stop wearing this style lol.

I will say that even though this style affords me the ability to not touch/deal w/ my hair for several days, it probably isn't the cutest. Finding protective styles that preserve my fly is tough at my length. Off to Youtube I go.....
So this morning I was tired and said *** it, this hair is going in two flat twists today. So I did a kind of different part and made sure my edges were super sleek etc. Kinda jazzed it up but the basic style is still exactly the same. Tell me why DH walked into the room talmbout "Oh wow that looks so pretty on you". :look: :look: :look: Bruh. You gave me a complex over this hairstyle a fortnight ago, now it's all good? :wallbash: He said it just looks different than it did before. I give up. :lol:

Haven't straightened my hair since the holiday. Just keeping it moist, oiled and put up in some style. Even after I did my wash n go puffs last week I noticed my ends weren't as bad as I thought they were, since I oiled them really well.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Lots of random thoughts coming...just rock with me for a minute...pregnancy brain makes me forget stuff so I just want to put my thoughts in a place I visit frequently.

If you are a music lover like me, check out this show called Retro Centric...especially if you like hip hop and r&b. They call it "old school" but it's just that good stuff from the 90's and early 2000's. Think Jagged Edge, Next, Boys II Men, Tevin Campbell, Mary J Blige, Destiny's Child, Carl Thomas, A Tribe Called Quest etc. You know that music that just wakes up your soul and makes it smile.

I took down my 2 braids from air drying and I noticed the left side of my hair has developed tons of ssk's. I know it's partly my fault. As naturals; ssk's come with the territory but for the last 4 months, I've been playing in my hair way too much. So before the weekend is over; I'll finger comb out the braids, set my hair on a few flexi rods and stretch it good so I can do a search and destroy. Gotta go back to handling my hair less.

When is enough, enough? Why does having enough turn into wanting more? I have enough stuff to last for a solid 2-3 years for my hair (with the exception of conditioners) and yet I'm still thinking about what else I can try/buy. Yesterday, I decided to go back to only buying as I needed and then my mind instantly started thinking of building my hair accessories back up since I wont be buying hair ingredients/products. LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
See, I forgot to add this to my previous post. Told yall my brain just aint right these days. :lachen:

My eating has been going good these last few weeks. Lots of greens, tons of summer fruit and more water than I care to share. I visit the Farmer's Market every Sunday when all the farmers and vendors come to my town and I rack up. Two of the farmers know me by name and always have kind words when I come around.

I still have a sneaky sweet tooth, but I've been able to calm it down some with chewing sugar free gum. I know it's not the best for you but hey...it works. My DH jokes that I can take down a pack in a hour. :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My eating hasn't been great this summer. There are a dozen reasons, but I've begun fighting back! I've made purchases to begin my normal healthy eating and started this morning. :up:

:clap: MILESTONE!!! I did my first flat twist out!!! I spent a long time learning! I used CRN "Style Setter" mixed with some CurlyProverbz DIY Hair Growth Oil (my style setter is way more solid than what I'm seeing on YT). The key for me was doing it on slightly stretched hair, since my hair is super coily when wet (harder to handle when braiding/twisting).

I'm thinking of purchasing some macadamia nut butter to use to add CurlyProverbz oil to as my twist out cream . . . to see how well it works. Supposedly this butter is chemically similar to sebum!

Lastly, tomorrow I attend an all-day free natural hair conference. One event they're having is a "natural hair fashion show." Interesting!

I'm having trouble uploading a pic of the flat twist out. I'll try again later!