Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
How will you be wearing your hair now? I know you like to rock those lovely wigs.

How is the postpartum shedding now?

Those are good questions. I have no idea. Not really style savvy. It's been in a lame ponytail since I relaxed sooooo....yea. Lol

I think the shedding may have stopped but can't really tell yet until my next wash. My hair isn't as thick as it was before though.

sunshine737

Soooo....
I went a bit scissor happy and chopped at least 3 inches off of my hair. My hair was in need of a trim; I have fine high porosity hair that tangles and gets single stand knots easily. I do frequent s and d sessions, but that leaves my ends feeling thin. So I brushed out my hair with my whipped shea butter mix which gave me a good stretch so that I could get a good look at my ends, I then put it in some small twists and chopped an inch off each twist. Ends looked great afterwards.

The next day when I woke up and undid the twists I looked at the shape that my hair has been growing out in and I wasn't happy. The last time I got a shape up with a professional was 2014 and that was a dry curly cut with a funky shape with it longer in the front/middle and the back not even SL stretched. So I started cutting away and shaped it up. Before the cut my longest layer was W'HIP, now my longest layer in a couple of inches above WL.

Overall I'm happy with the cut and I know I'll enjoy my hair more as it grows out in a shape that works well with the length. I still believe I will reach HL by the end of this challenge. :afro:

tapioca_pudding

I straightened my hair over the weekend for the first time in about 2 months or so I think. I didn't do a length check because I'm lazy and I didn't care at the time. Anywho, my hair felt so effin thick yet silky and healthy and luxurious. I had my Farrah Fawcett flips going on and errythang. DH was like Oh look it's my other wife. :lol: I got "your hair is getting soooo long" from friends/fam all day.

However, I always feel somewhat 'basic' with straight hair after like 48 hours so I washed it this morning. It takes a few days after straightening for my curls to fully spring back, and I can't wait cuz I miss them so. But I also know my regimen was working because there was a noticeable difference in the overall health of my hair, as well as length/thickness. So I'm gonna just stick with my lazy arse routine that's getting me results. :lol:

I really think I will surpass APL by Xmas.... lemme put that out there into the Universe for fulfillment.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Nothing much going on. I'm really enjoying rocking decorative hair combs in my ponytails, buns & French braids. They are just too cute and add a little but of "something, something" to otherwise pretty boring looking styles. LOL Tried to to upload a pic but y'all know the forum is fickle with pictures lately....sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

I'm thinking about making my own combs so that way I can add some of my crystals in them. Not anytime soon though...right now I'm just having fun collecting them.

FoxxyLocs

I've been washing my hair every two weeks and putting it in 6 braids to dry. I wear them in a bun for up to a week, then take them out for a braid out until it's time to wash again. Wash day takes about 3 hours, which isn't bad. It takes over an hour just to do my braids. I wish I could do it faster.

I was going to straighten but my edges are still growing in from my post partum shedding. I'm just going to leave them alone for a while.

I do have some SSKs but it's not too bad. I might straighten and trim next month.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
After prepooing, pooing, and DCing . . . I applied CurlyProverbz DIY Oil and the Naptural85 DIY flaxseed gel and dried with a diffuser.

I have less definition than I prefer, but I was very light-handed (last time I was too heavy-handed and got snowing with the DIY gel).

I'm going to keep practicing with the gel application: It takes not no time to make and it's very healthy.

Sorry for the apparent mean mug: It's not really a mean mug. :smile:

I gotta say: Eco Styler (free sample from hair conference) gave me 5-day definition (I eventually just washed it out . . . I could have worn it longer), and my hair was so defined and my ends so "protected/shellacked" that tangling was virtually non-existent.

Too bad I can't staaaaaaaaaand the ingredients. I don't know you guys: I am so torn. Over the long haul, the Eco might be healthier for my hair, but who KNOWS what the ingredients do to the body long term.

DIY flaxseed gel:

Flaxseed and black castor oil Eco Styler:

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
For those WL or longer, how do you get your hair to lay flat under wigs? I never wear them bc I feel like my hair will be too bulky underneath.
I'd actually like to know this too. I want to start on wigs, but, I have no idea how I would lay my hair down flat enough unless I straighten it then wrap it.

As long as the front lay flat 'enough' I don't really put any thought into it. Just add 4 plaits to each side, pin them down & go. It never looks strange to me. In the curly wig above I am actually wearing 2 plaits; one on each side.

Daina

Hi Ladies just checking in to say hey! I am very hair indifferent right now. I've only been wearing buns for the last month 6-7 days a week. About 8 weeks ago I trimmed off a good portion of my remaining heat damage and am now back to MBL. Still cleansing and DC weekly but just not enjoying my hair right now. Probably won't straighten again till November. I miss enjoying my hair so thinking about straightening or rollersetting at least once a month when it gets colder. My hair has thickened up considerably and I love the CP growth oil mix! It's almost getting too thick if there is such a thing!

Pray everyone is well, happy growing ladies!