Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
hey gals, I came across this video I wanted to share. I like how she has consistently retained length. Would you gals consider this to be 4c hair? and is this considered fine hair?
I love her channel and her personality. She is such a happy soul. I love how consistent she was with her regimen and she used the same products throughout. She is now on a loc journey. I look forward to seeing how long her locs get.

beauti

@Saludable84 thanks sis! I do a combo of raking and smoothing the gel. The ponytail was on 2nd day hair so I dampened my hair just alittle to break the cast and make it pliable enough to gather into a ponytail. I just tugged at my ends gently as I gathered section by section into a ponytail to keep it smooth up top. Thats it!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Shout out to @Chicoro for dropping her knowledge on shea butter. I really didn't know how to use it and just like most things we haven't figured out; I bashed it, dismissed it or tried it a few times and gave up. LOL However by adding it into my deep conditioner and allowing it to marinate overnight leaves my hair moisturized and lubricated for a full week with no touch ups. The 2nd week only requires a smidgen of my DIY hair cream which contains shea butter (with other butters) prolongs my style an additional week. My hair has been elongated and so moist these last 2 weeks. I almost didn't want to wash last night but I need to keep my scalp happy.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Shout out to @Chicoro for dropping her knowledge on shea butter. I really didn't know how to use it and just like most things we haven't figured out; I bashed it, dismissed it or tried it a few times and gave up. LOL However by adding it into my deep conditioner and allowing it to marinate overnight leaves my hair moisturized and lubricated for a full week with no touch ups. The 2nd week only requires a smidgen of my DIY hair cream which contains shea butter (with other butters) prolongs my style an additional week. My hair has been elongated and so moist these last 2 weeks. I almost didn't want to wash last night but I need to keep my scalp happy.

Congratulations on your success as it relates to keeping your hair moisturized!

That's always a wonderful feeling to make a new, positive discovery with one's hair care. It seems the big aha's come in little adjustments and changes and realizations, some times.

If there were ever a magical ingredient, Shea butter definitely would be it! For afro-textured hair, at least, it seems to be a real life hair, growth secret. We'll see you and your hair at mid thigh length! Be sure to post those awe inspiring hair growth photos, because beyond a shadow of a doubt, they will be forthcoming from you and your hair. It's a wrap, as in a sure-fire guarantee!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Fall & Winter Update:

Health & Fitness
Eating Well...still mostly plant based with protein at least once a day. Started back doing Pilates since I'm over 6 weeks postpartum. I take Prenatal Vitamins since I'm breastfeeding but once I wean down the line, I will discontinue taking them. I don't take any other supplements and will no longer take any man made medicine/supplements/vitamins unless they are prescribed to me by a doctor. So no hair pills or anything extra.

Hair products:
Still using mostly my own DIY products. I make an Ayurvedic oil, Ayurvedic cream & my own deep conditioners using commercial conditioners as a base. Ayurvedic powders, teas, & herbs for strength and balance. As far as already-made products, I've gone back to Hairveda as my main line and Camille Rose as my on the ground back up.

Hair Techniques:
Still wearing my hair in braids and buns. I'm still washing every 2 weeks (give or take a few days here and there depending on my lifestyle). After washing, I always stretch my hair...(lately in a few braids) then once it's dry (or whenever I feel like it) I still take the style down then put my hair in a single braid wrapped around into a bun or pinned up. Wear it down whenever the mood strikes.

So technique wise, not much has changed since I last updated in June. I noticed I keep using the word *still* in this update. LOL Consistency and low manipulation has always been my biggest hair successes so I tend to stick with the same techniques.

Once the snow hits, I'll start wearing turbans and scarves like I always do when I go out.

I don't know what my length is, I really don't care anymore. It's just long and falls within the perimeters of the title of this thread. LOL However, it's still super easy to manage and a pleasure to work with which is most important to me now.

My updates seem to be the same here lately. LOL Hope you all are doing well!

Jade Feria

I feel like I didn't retain much length this year. Or maybe I had slow growth. One good thing that happened is that my PP shedding stopped. THANK GOODNESS!! Now my hair sheds even less than it did before pregnancy. I attribute this to both my nutrient intake, and the Ayurvedic treatments. Another good thing, my hair looks 1000 times healthier than it did earlier this year when I got back into hair journey mode. I think I'm most excited about that.

tapioca_pudding

Fall & Winter Update:

Health & Fitness
Eating Well...still mostly plant based with protein at least once a day. Started back doing Pilates since I'm over 6 weeks postpartum. I take Prenatal Vitamins since I'm breastfeeding but once I wean down the line, I will discontinue taking them. I don't take any other supplements and will no longer take any man made medicine/supplements/vitamins unless they are prescribed to me by a doctor. So no hair pills or anything extra.

Hair products:
Still using mostly my own DIY products. I make an Ayurvedic oil, Ayurvedic cream & my own deep conditioners using commercial conditioners as a base. Ayurvedic powders, teas, & herbs for strength and balance. As far as already-made products, I've gone back to Hairveda as my main line and Camille Rose as my on the ground back up.

Hair Techniques:
Still wearing my hair in braids and buns. I'm still washing every 2 weeks (give or take a few days here and there depending on my lifestyle). After washing, I always stretch my hair...(lately in a few braids) then once it's dry (or whenever I feel like it) I still take the style down then put my hair in a single braid wrapped around into a bun or pinned up. Wear it down whenever the mood strikes.

So technique wise, not much has changed since I last updated in June. I noticed I keep using the word *still* in this update. LOL Consistency and low manipulation has always been my biggest hair successes so I tend to stick with the same techniques.

Once the snow hits, I'll start wearing turbans and scarves like I always do when I go out.

I don't know what my length is, I really don't care anymore. It's just long and falls within the perimeters of the title of this thread. LOL However, it's still super easy to manage and a pleasure to work with which is most important to me now.

My updates seem to be the same here lately. LOL Hope you all are doing well!

That "still" got you to "long". :yep: It's working for you, sis!

FoxxyLocs

I did a braid out on blow dried hair and it turned out nice but didn't hold for very long. After maybe 30 minutes my hair was just poofy and frizzy. I get great definition and hold when I style on wet hair, so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do differently.

The blow dried hair felt really soft. Maybe I'll try leaving the braids in longer? I used wrap foam for hold, maybe I need something stronger? I don't want to use gel.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I did a braid out on blow dried hair and it turned out nice but didn't hold for very long. After maybe 30 minutes my hair was just poofy and frizzy. I get great definition and hold when I style on wet hair, so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do differently.

The blow dried hair felt really soft. Maybe I'll try leaving the braids in longer? I used wrap foam for hold, maybe I need something stronger? I don't want to use gel.

Yes, leaving them in longer will probably give you lasting definition. Whenever I know I'm going to wear my hair down, I will put it in a single braid (since it is a style that I can rock) for a few days up to a week :look:, and I always get good definition regardless of the product I use. So for example, if I know we are doing stuff on the weekend, I will put it in single braid pinned up on a Monday and rock it like that until the weekend. Something like this:

braid2.jpg

If you don't want to wait that many days, then that's understandable. For products, maybe you could use a curl cream perhaps instead of gel since you don't like it. Sometimes, I only have a day or two notice before hubby or the kids suggest an outing so depending on how I want the style to look, I use:
Camille Rose Coconut Water Style Setter Cream for volume OR
my DIY Cream (Shea, Mango, Capuacu Butter & oils) for Elongation & Stretch

snoop

I feel like I didn't retain much length this year. Or maybe I had slow growth. One good thing that happened is that my PP shedding stopped. THANK GOODNESS!! Now my hair sheds even less than it did before pregnancy. I attribute this to both my nutrient intake, and the Ayurvedic treatments. Another good thing, my hair looks 1000 times healthier than it did earlier this year when I got back into hair journey mode. I think I'm most excited about that.

How long did your shedding last? Mine is just starting. :cry3:

FoxxyLocs

Yes, leaving them in longer will probably give you lasting definition. Whenever I know I'm going to wear my hair down, I will put it in a single braid (since it is a style that I can rock) for a few days up to a week :look:, and I always get good definition regardless of the product I use. So for example, if I know we are doing stuff on the weekend, I will put it in single braid pinned up on a Monday and rock it like that until the weekend. Something like this:

If you don't want to wait that many days, then that's understandable. For products, maybe you could use a curl cream perhaps instead of gel since you don't like it. Sometimes, I only have a day or two notice before hubby or the kids suggest an outing so depending on how I want the style to look, I use:
Camille Rose Coconut Water Style Setter Cream for volume OR
my DIY Cream (Shea, Mango, Capuacu Butter & oils) for Elongation & Stretch

When I do a braid out on wet hair, I normally leave them in until they dry which takes a couple of days. On blow dried hair the braids obviously dried much faster so I went ahead and took them out. I'll try leaving them in for a couple of days next time.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I did a henna gloss treatment couple days ago. My hair is braided up until Thanksgiving. Not sure how I will style it for that day since I will be cooking this year :nono:

@beauti We are in the same boat Sis. I was going to rollerset for Thanksgiving but that was when I thought we were going out of town to visit family. Well hubby changed has mind and said he would rather do a nice quiet dinner at home. So now that I will be cooking and sweating up a storm, my hair will just be in a high bun. I'll just make sure it's a cute one. LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I've reached a new milestone with my length. My Day 1 roller set is grazing hip length..puffy roots and all. It usually takes about 5 days of wrapping my hair for the length to start creeping down there but I'm getting that length on Day 1 now!

I honestly don't think I'll be allowing my hair to grow longer once my roller sets and the braidout done on roller set hair gets to tailbone. I'll start maintaining there, trimming the back lower half of my hair and allowing the crown and bangs to catch up with it.

I'm not concerned with the overall length (when I pull it) because I'm not walking around pulling and stretching my hair when I go out. (It still is at the bottom of my butt) I'm more concerned about the length of my hair when I wear my favorite styles and I definitely don't want that to go past my TBL.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I've reached a new milestone with my length. My Day 1 roller set is grazing hip length..puffy roots and all. It usually takes about 5 days of wrapping my hair for the length to start creeping down there but I'm getting that length on Day 1 now!

I honestly don't think I'll be allowing my hair to grow longer once my roller sets and the braidout done on roller set hair gets to tailbone. I'll start maintaining there, trimming the back lower half of my hair and allowing the crown and bangs to catch up with it.

I'm not concerned with the overall length (when I pull it) because I'm not walking around pulling and stretching my hair when I go out. (It still is at the bottom of my butt) I'm more concerned about the length of my hair when I wear my favorite styles and I definitely don't want that to go past my TBL.

CONGRATULATION!!!

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE HAVING LONG WOOLLY HAIR...YUMMY/VOLUMPTOUS.