Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

melahnee

I'm not completely sure what exactly it was, Aireen. :spinning:One new thing I've done in these past two or so months is start taking Manetabolism. That might be it. Other than that, I'm still taking my silica and msm. I was also in a weave for the month.

Aireen

I'm not completely sure what exactly it was, @Aireen. :spinning:One new thing I've done in these past two or so months is start taking Manetabolism. That might be it. Other than that, I'm still taking my silica and msm. I was also in a weave for the month.
Well congratulations on your progress, melahnee! I'll make sure to stick to my supplements too then since I take silica & MSM as well.

ManeStreet

I just stopped caring about making it to HL after feeling like I've been stuck at whip Forever. But now I've only got about 1.5 inches to go.

marta9227

I think I'm officially out this year. I did a three inch cut, I just couldn't deal with my ends. So I'm back to waist length but my ends are thick and healthy!

Aireen

I think I'm officially out this year. I did a three inch cut, I just couldn't deal with my ends. So I'm back to waist length but my ends are thick and healthy!
That's most important anyway! Healthy ends > length, it'll grow back!

Aireen

Deep conditioning my hair right now. I know it's late but if I don't do it now, I will be too lazy to do it later. I touched up just my edges because they get so unruly and break when I don't while stretching so I made sure to apply extra product to that area. Applied apricot oil before applying the relaxer, neutralized, applied extra layers of conditioner to the area, then added drops of avocado oil on top.

Last edited:

ManeStreet

Deep conditioning my hair right now. I know it's late but if I don't do it now, I will be too lazy to do it later. I touched up just my edges because they get so unruly and break when I don't while stretching so I made sure to apply extra product to that area. Applied apricot oil before applying the relaxer, neutralized, applied extra layers of conditioner to the area, then added drops of avocado oil on top.

Aireen I've been thinking about getting some avocado oil. Can you give me a break down on apricot oil & avocado oil? Do you like them better than olive oil & coconut oil. I don't use coconut oil anymore because it gives me really bad acne.

Aireen

@Aireen I've been thinking about getting some avocado oil. Can you give me a break down on apricot oil & avocado oil? Do you like them better than olive oil & coconut oil. I don't use coconut oil anymore because it gives me really bad acne.
TLDR: Answer in bold, @ManeStreet. :lol:

Avocado oil, I'm still playing around with so I'll definitely have to post about it later; apricot oil, I do love though and more than EVOO and EVCO.

EVOO can be really heavy on my hair and doesn't smell good, I use it if I have super dry hair and nothing else is working, like if I went on vacation and the water/climate/SOMETHING is screwing my hair up? Emergency treatment oil, if you will.

EVCO smells lovely but it's basically the same deal... I have to have a very light hand with it otherwise my hair is an oil slick. When I use the right amount – almost never – I get super soft, shiny hair though. I like to use it more to seal conditioner so it adds shine but the risk of weighed down hair is lower.

All that to say apricot oil is my favourite, I'm still playing with it but it's an oil I will keep. It's super light so I can make the mistake of applying extra and not have to worry. I mix it in my serum and get a super frizz-free result, gives my hair that smooth flat-iron finish. It doesn't have a smell initially so you can apply it and go but it does have a smell – nothing bad – after a day or two, I would say that's its only downside thus far. When I used it for my edges before relaxer, my hair came out smooth and soft without breakage or brittleness, like it provided a layer of protection. Skin wise, lovely! I applied it mixed with my vitamin-e cream and my skin was glistening. :blush: I feel like it makes a good combo with what you pair it with by boosting the effects. LOOOOOOOOVE ITTTTT!

Last edited:

Lucia

Lucia, I think the Secura was the better choice, a lot of people have it and I feel like my steamer gets way too hot so it's a bit of a struggle to stay under for a full DC. How did you like yours though? How did your hair turn out? Your hair definitely looks like you got a bit of a growth spurt, melahnee. Do you know what caused that? LaVgirl, loving the stretched out result! I'm drooling over all that hair!
Aireen I love my secura steamer it's not too hot and it's big enough for me to pile my hair on top of my head and fit in the hood I also like the ease of use for the price it's worth it and it's small enough to put away in my closet Yes I have had a bit of a growth spurt I actually see that it's longer thicker while still curly so I know there's some good growth there. I've been using my own oil and getting mad growth results I have yet to straighten but I did try curl formers and I will take some pics and post in fotki. HHG

Last edited:

Lucia

ChocolatePie777 Dont feel discouraged. I swear the time from WL to TLB or HL takes THE LONGEST to achieve!!! At least thats how it was for me and several of the ladies who were growing while I was still that length. I honestly had to stop doing length checks for 3-6mos in order to see progress. And as soon as I made it I shaved off my hair. Enjoy the journey to HL. Its a marathon, not a race. Take in the awesomeness that is your hair and enjoy the ride. You'll make it ;) We all do. Now I do wonder if I'll ever make it again. I know that I can, its about want. I long for my big buns. But I also miss my spunky fro I had going last year. My hair seems so boring right now. Nothing special. Just there on top of my head. lol
Yes this is too true somehow we have to break this long wait cycle

ManeStreet

TLDR: Answer in bold, @ManeStreet. :lol:

Avocado oil, I'm still playing around with so I'll definitely have to post about it later; apricot oil, I do love though and more than EVOO and EVCO.

EVOO can be really heavy on my hair and doesn't smell good, I use it if I have super dry hair and nothing else is working, like if I went on vacation and the water/climate/SOMETHING is screwing my hair up? Emergency treatment oil, if you will.

EVCO smells lovely but it's basically the same deal... I have to have a very light hand with it otherwise my hair is an oil slick. When I use the right amount – almost never – I get super soft, shiny hair though. I like to use it more to seal conditioner so it adds shine but the risk of weighed down hair is lower.

All that to say apricot oil is my favourite, I'm still playing with it but it's an oil I will keep. It's super light so I can make the mistake of applying extra and not have to worry. I mix it in my serum and get a super frizz-free result, gives my hair that smooth flat-iron finish. It doesn't have a smell initially so you can apply it and go but it does have a smell – nothing bad – after a day or two, I would say that's its only downside thus far. When I used it for my edges before relaxer, my hair came out smooth and soft without breakage or brittleness, like it provided a layer of protection. Skin wise, lovely! I applied it mixed with my vitamin-e cream and my skin was glistening. :blush: I feel like it makes a good combo with what you pair it with by boosting the effects. LOOOOOOOOVE ITTTTT!

I'm going to pick up apricot oil tomorrow from vitamin shoppe or the organic market. If they don't work for my hair I can just use it on my body. Winter is coming....

Aireen

Drinking green smoothies and I love the energy it gives and that feeling it gives your overall body. If it kicks in for hair too then BONUSSSS! If not, no big, the overall energy boost and happy feeling is enough.

Ms. Tiki

I still can't believe I cut my hair. I'm just hoping I can make it back to hip length by the end of the year. I will not cut my hair again...lesson learned

melahnee

sometimes I can't believe how thick and healthy my hair looks compared to the way it used to!! I straightened my own hair yesterday..wondering if I should do another dusting.. I'm addicted to dusting, so I can hardly tell when I'm "doing too much" :ohwell:

Last edited:

melahnee

also, I believe silica+ manetabolism work great together. I believe this was the cause of my growth spurt. I love manetabolism! ordered another 2 bottles last week.

Carrie A

Hey guys. I had been stuck for a while and thought my hair might not be growing anymore. I hadn't done a length check in several months. Last week after my wash I pulled my little tail and low and behold I believe I may be at hip length. I keep posting that I'm going to straighten and never do but for real I really want to see what's going on with my strands.

Aireen

3 months post relaxer today! :grin: I still have to put pictures up when I remember but I'm happy that I got past that whole incident during my last relaxer. :look: I've learned and all these setbacks have taught me how to take care of my hair. I'm taking my vitamins and drinking green smoothies in order to be healthier and give my body what I need. I'll be relaxing my hair once I get to at least 4 months post. :grin:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Finally took my hair out of those tiny box plaits after 4 weeks. I haven't washed my hair for 8 weeks now. Oops. However Im more concerned of a deep conditioning so I gave myself a cowash instead. Im 12 weeks post today.

OAN Im freaking happy to see Im grazing HL!!! Well i stretched in the shower and it hit right on my hips. Def a possibility of a graze. Lol Next relaxer coming soon. Hopefully before i deliver. Smh

Dee Raven

I tried mixed chicks deep conditioner today. I left it in for about 2 hours and I really like how my hair felt after I washed it out. I think I like it better than it's a 10 miracle mask. I'm going to rotate for the next couple of weeks and see if there's a winner.

Aireen

A man stopped me while I was getting off the bus a couple days ago to tell me I have really nice hair. :blush: Really flattered although I know my hair looked nice that day. :lol: It does make me excited for my touch-up and longer hair overall though. :grin:

I feel like everything is running out all at once... hate when that happens. Running out of my regular shampoo, serum, and vitamins – luckily I have backups. Maybe a break from my vitamins will be good but I really would rather take a break in the winter.

Right now everything is great, except that my dandruff came back so I'm thinking of trying a dandruff shampoo from Shea Moisture after my touch-up. :look: I plan to relax anytime between next month and November. I'm not trimming for a while since my ends look okay to me, I'll probably just cut splits and SSKs I happen to see. I'll also have to make sure that I apply extra serum on my ends to prevent dryness and damage.

Haven't used my steamer for a while, I'll pick back up on that when I'm not so lazy. :look: I've been using more "mask" products lately since my hair has taken more of liking to them and it's helping to detangle my hair easily.

Anyway, nothing else to talk about... I STILL need to put up update pictures. :look: I'll try to remember to put some for tomorrow or the day after. Thank you ladies for sticking with me throughout this challenge and being supportive. This was fun and it's nice to be surrounded by ladies that are working towards the same goal and understand the want for really long hair. :grin:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I had to update in another challenge I'm in so I'll update here to.

Still washing & steaming every week to 2 weeks, roller setting, moisturizing then throwing my hair in a french braid until the next wash day.

Posting a pic of my french braid & my length in roller sets. Keep in mind I have several inches of shrunken roots but I wont be pressing it out until some time next year so this will have to do. lmbo

Pics are Jan of this year compared to this month. Wishful thinking that I'll make hip within 2 months but if there's a 2015 challenge, I'mma be all up & thru that thang.

Last edited: